Berowra fishing/camping trip

jordan.widz

Hi raiders,

So I might have missed summer by a few months but the cold wasn't gonna stop me and my dad from getting out for a fishing/camping trip on Berowra before i move to Melbourne to start my trade in the navy. On Sunday morning we loaded up the tinny with plenty of firewood, chairs, a tent, sleeping bags, food and water and of course the fishing gear and tackle. With all this weight in the little tinny I was surprised it still floated let alone did the same top speed and handled other boats wake better.

Now the pressure is on to catch dinner for tonight but luckily the pressure is off within 10min of anchoring up when I pull in a flattie big enough to feed to both of us, so thats good, on ice he goes and we continue fishing for another 3h to pick up a total of 6 nice flatties for the short session, they ranged between 42 and 53cm. At 3pm we left the fish to go set up camp and prepare some fresh flathead fillets. We ate 2 of the medium sized fish for dinner and kept the other 4 in a saltwater ice slurry for the family when we get back on Monday.

post-14559-071107900 1309933016_thumb.jpg post-14559-082228000 1309933018_thumb.jpg

Heres the camp setup and althought it got down to around 10.5 degree it was quite warm around the fire

post-14559-031681700 1309933012_thumb.jpg post-14559-010572800 1309933014_thumb.jpg

The easiest way to fish, chillen on the deck

And some more shots of the stunning Berowra waters

post-14559-039042600 1309933022_thumb.jpg

post-14559-000678200 1309933024_thumb.jpg

post-14559-081731400 1309933027_thumb.jpg

Bar Island in the background

We tried throwing some plastics around the oyster racks on Monday morning but by now the wind had picked up so we decided to go back to the ramp and head home.

It was a great trip and the only thing that would have made it better would be if the temp was a bit higher lol.

Cheers,

Prawn Star.

Sounds like a great trip. Im glad the weather didnt stop you, May i ask where you camped? the location doesnt look familiar. I try campingout of the boat down there but most spots near berowra are tidal so limits boat acesss. Thanks

Thanks guys,

I circled in red the site where we camped, this beach has two camp sites on it with flat ground and pre-made fire places but not much firewood so bring your own, it also has a longdrop and basin up the hill. At low tide the approach to the beach is approx 0.5 - 0.9m in depth from about 100m out so you need a small tinny with electric motor or paddles to reach the beach. A boat you can drag on the sand if very neccesary here because it will most likely get beached overnight. Also at high tide the beach creates a nice dropoff with plenty of nipper holes and the mullet are thick at night, so I reckon you'd have a pretty good chance at a flattie or two with live poddys or live nippers if you catch them at low tide. I know I would have had some rods out if it wasn't too cold to move from the fire. :biggrin2:

Camp site no 2 has all the same features as the one we camped on but not as much flat ground to setup camp and the beach is not as big

post-14559-094492100 1310004421_thumb.jpg

click to enlarge

Cheers, Prawn Star.

Edited by Prawn Star

• 2 years later...