Would like to get my boat license

FranticD

Hi All,

My father and I would both like to get our boat licenses.

We are interested in purchasing a boat something similar to this size but maybe even smaller:Picture of Boat

How big would this be? and what size engine is that?

Could someone please kindly recommend/suggest some places we can do courses to obtain our licenses? and info would be great. I was on the Transport Maritime.nsw.gov.au website, but it seems very complicated.

thank you for reading.

Hi All,

We are interested in purchasing a boat something similar to this size but maybe even smaller:Picture of Boat

Could someone please kindly recommend/suggest some places we can do courses to obtain our licenses? and info would be great. I was on the Transport Maritime.nsw.gov.au website, but it seems very complicated.

thank you for reading.

Mate, thats probably about a 5.8m - 6.2m cuddy cabing with approx. a 115hp - 135hp. In regards to your license the rules have changed since i got mine about 20 years ago! You would be best to call the Maritime authority and actually speack to someone about the available courses that are out there these days...

Hi All,

thank you for reading.

Not sure where you are from, that might help people give you the best advice but I did mine at d'albora marine at 5 dock, about a half day course,well run & then they take everyone out on their boat & test everyones capabilities.

I did mine through the Australian Boating College.

Did the theory exam in the morning and the practical boating test in the afternoon.

I did mine at North Sydney Leagues club and on the water at Middle Harbour.

They run schools all around the place.

Have a look at www.abclicence.com or call 1800 435 886.

They will send you info before the course, learn it as well as you can before you get there and you will breeze through it!

The only people that failed on the day were the ones that didn't take any notice of the pre-study...

Good luck!!

The missus and I did ours at Seaschool behind the Fish Markets and they were very good. Considering my partner had no previous boating experience and lacked confidence I found them very patient and helpful.

Pre-study does help as I was able to explain many of the terms and help her with the details which helped on the day. If you are new to boating I'd suggest finding a friend who has some experience and quiz them on the bits you don't understand after reading the book.

Good luck :)

Hi All,

thank you for reading.

Hey Buddy,

I'm sure you will find the below links useful:

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/boattest.html -- practise theory test

https://online.maritime.nsw.gov.au/OnlineBSC/ -- Safety Course

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/sbh/Boating_Licence_Practical_Logbook.pdf -- Log Book

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/index.html -- general info

In regards to the practise theory test, if you do it 50 times over, I will guarantee you'll pass the test, as it is made of the exact same questions. I say 50 times, as some questions do differ slightly.

To qualify for a licence, you'll need to provide a log book - from memory it is 3 outings on a boat with a certain amount of hours recorded, and signed by an experienced boater with over 3-5 years of boating experience.

You will also need to complete a safety course.

After you completed the above, you then bring them into the RTA\RMS to do the test.

Also, another point to mention, in regards to purchasing a boat, you will also need to consider what type of vehicle\towing capacity you have. I.e. if its a tinny, a corolla could tow it. If its the boat in the pic, you'll most definitely need 4wd.

Good luck mate :thumbup:

EDIT: Here's the hankbook: http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating/sbh_pdf.html

Also when you get your boat licence, ask if you can purchase your fishing licence as well. Failing that, you can purchase it here:

https://www.licence.nsw.gov.au/gls_eservice/renewals/Application.aspx

Edited by The Incredible Hull

• 4 weeks later...

I just got mine. Online boat safety course $12', knowledge test local motor registry$30 per attempt.. You also have to do a log book with 3 outings and discuss issues and do a couple of safety drills as part of the log book. I was lucky as I have been going out regularly with a mate who helped me with all the practical stuff. All up cost was about $ 180 for a three year licence.

Your practical supervisor has to have held his/her licence for three years. Obviously if you don't have anyone with a boat & licence one of the schools would be great, in all honesty if you had no experience boating I would go for that, would be well worth the outlay in the end

• 3 weeks later...

Hi FranticD,

Same as hookmeup, I did my course in D'albora but Cabarita instead of five dock. The instructor was very helpful and never fail anyone (at least no-one fail in my group). There's a chinese guy who knows little English also pass the test so your chance to fail the test is zero (thats what I believe). They also let us drive their aluminum catamaran during the pracical. Very nice and steady boat.

Goodluck

cheers, phil