Lake Macquarie

wettingaline

Hey Raiders,

Me and a few mates have a lake front house booked on Lake Maquarie for this long weekend, does anyone regulary fish Lake Macqaurie? anyone know what i should be targeting this weekend? We will be fishing in a boat not land based. Any well known structers around? is there any pelagics at the mouth of the lake?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Joe

Hi Joe,

Lake Macquarie is a verrrry big place so not sure if this will be of any help as I'm not sure where exactly you're staying. My brother in law has a holiday house up there so I get up from time to time. We stay at Balcolyn which is near Morisset.

The shoreline along Balcolyn is quite good. Anywhere between Shingle Splitters Point and Silverwater Point are very good for whiting, flatties and the occassional big bream. There are a few moored boats along there which are good to drift between and near. The very small whiting and tiny bream can be in plaque proportions however...

There is also a Channel Marker over towards Wangi Wangi which has a lot of reefy growth around it and is also quite good at times.

From there you can go to the hot water outlet canal from the power station or to the entrance of Dora Creek. I've only ever fished up Dora Creek once for nil (and I mean nil) result.

The other place is around the shoreline of Pulbah Island. Do a lap and see what turns up on the sounder but... keep an eye out for busting schools of tailor which turn up from time to time. Wouldn't hurt to troll a smallish metal or something around the island while you're looking for fish.

Oh, and if you're looking for a good feed - the Dora Creek Bowling club on a Saturday night does all you can eat for $17 a head - good little spot, I like it anyway.

Hope that helps you out.

Cheers

David.

Hi Joe..

As David said "Lake Macquarie is a verrrry big place".

If you are staying closer to the Swansea side near the channel here are a couple of places.

The bridge is a good place to sit and try to catch some rat kings on an out going tide, becareful as the water tends to move very fast through there.

Drifting between the bridge and the sunken reef (ocean side) will get you a good flathead or two.

The drop off is where the channel meets the lake is a great place for bream and often tailor will run the edge hunting for food.

There is an artificial tyre reef in the lake, which i can give you GPS co-ords if you like.

Hope that helps

Stephen

Edited by Bucket

get us some squid for the social. keep any decent fresh baits to eg slimies, pike, yakkas and dont forget the squid. :1prop:

good luck anyway this weekend and remember whilst your on the sunny lake ill be servicing the motor in preparation for the social.

actually im lieing doing that tomorrow hitting the river friday or saturday

James

Hi Joe, I live on and fish the lake pretty well every weekend some spots to try.

Eastern side of Pulbah Island 20-30 foot depth off the cliffs, Plenty of squire ranging from 25-35cm

Wangi shoreline around to wangi point for bream

Swansea channell for sand flathead between pelican marina and the dirt ramp.

Belmont bay in and around the moorings for bream and lizards on plastics

There are also 6 artificial reefs between wangi and swansea south (co-ords are in the dpi site)

Heaps of lizards in the lake at the moment most with bellies full of row.

Cheers

GT

caught this girl on the weekend on a 120mm squidgie wriggler under the fennel bay bridge.

she went 3.5kg and 78cm length

flattie230906.jpg

flathead78cm3.jpg

Edited by squizzytaylor

get us some squid for the social. keep any decent fresh baits to eg slimies, pike, yakkas and dont forget the squid. :1prop:

good luck anyway this weekend and remember whilst your on the sunny lake ill be servicing the motor in preparation for the social.

actually im lieing doing that tomorrow hitting the river friday or saturday

James

Thanks James,

Yeah ill being keeping bait for sure, ill have to go buy some squid jigs this sarv...Do you need a hand with the boat during the week? are you stocked up on tackle? i was thinking of hitting windybanks on the saturday morning and stocking up if ya wanna come..

Cheers

Joe

Gday Joe,

Another couple of spots that a worth ago is fishing point near Eraring Bay and the drift from Pullbah Island to Point Morisset great little spot to drift up some good Flatties and the odd Flounder.

Might see ya on the water on Sunday mate as i'll be heading out if Conditions are decent

Cheers mate

Steve