Middle Harbour

squidgie

hi all,

I pretty much only fish off the rocks, but looking at the window now, and seeing another weekend chance potentially going down the drain with rain and maybe swell( waiting to see how much impact the low and front will have), is middle harbour fishable when land based. In particular when chasing kings. Most reports are from boaties who can downrig and troll etc, even in windy conditions, but casting out to them - is that possible ? How close are people trolling to moored boats?

Curious as to how people fair, or if boaties reckon that a good cast would reach where they usually hang out. No need to tell exact spots as I will go exploring , and so the spots dont get flogged by all.....just seems like that most of the spots I can see are blocked off by properties, or I would have little chance even with my 50lb braid outfit trying to get them out of mooring lines....

cheers

Edited by squidgie

hi all,

I pretty much only fish off the rocks, but looking at the window now, and seeing another weekend chance potentially going down the drain with rain and maybe swell( waiting to see how much impact the low and front will have), is middle harbour fishable when land based. In particular when chasing kings. Most reports are from boaties who can downrig and troll etc, even in windy conditions, but casting out to them - is that possible ? How close are people trolling to moored boats?

Curious as to how people fair, or if boaties reckon that a good cast would reach where they usually hang out. No need to tell exact spots as I will go exploring , and so the spots dont get flogged by all.....just seems like that most of the spots I can see are blocked off by properties, or I would have little chance even with my 50lb braid outfit trying to get them out of mooring lines....

cheers

Hi Mate,

There are some pretty good land based spots about in MH. It seems the kings are well and truly about around the spit and the shore at the spit is pretty accessible. For my liking try the northern side, on the eastern side of the bridge (Avona Cres). It's deep not to far out. The water runs pretty hard there and a livie under a bobby cork might work. Take your beach stick so you can have a long dropper under the float, say 2m +. With the longer rod you'll still be able to cast it. You'll have to do a fair bit of retrieving and casting because of the run. The bottom there is hard and full of snags. If there is any colour in the water and a run in tide there is a good chance for jew as your bait moves towards the pylons. I've had hookups there that have been unstoppable, but I've had the luxury of a boat. Also have a look at the southern shore, west side of the bridge on a run in tide. You get some great water moving around there.

Another spot that seems to have had success in the past is accessed from Emerstan Dr, Castle Cove. It takes a bit of walking but, the furthest eastern outcrops get you to pretty deep water with the chance of some nice bream along the shore, maybe on SP's and a livie again out deeper. From where you are you'd be looking straight back down the harbour towards Seaforth and Mosman. This is really if you want to walk.

And another spot I've had success off the bank is actually around the Roseville Bridge. If you have a good high tide at night try around the down stream side of the water pipe footings. It's a pretty shallow bank that drops away. A basic peeled prawn on an unweighted 2-3kg outfit has scored me some great bream. There's also the chance of a nice trevally and some passing tailer. Burley up with mashed up pillys or bread. Again, get a livie out there (poddy mullet seem best) and get ready for anyting that might come by. I've seen some flatties like crocs and the odd jew.

Other than that grab the ubd and have a browse, you'd be surprised at how much you can actually get to. Beauty point at Mosman is another that springs to mind, and you can get in about the moorings.

Hope this helps and I haven't sent you on a wild goose chase.

Brian P.

Cheers....If the southerly kicks in as predicted, then the southern shores will be the best with the wind at my back. I want to travel light to try out different areas so wont be using bait, only lures. With crap weather forecast, I dont see myself getting up for a trip off the rocks, so will plod around while the missus is at the beautician . Ill take the sluggo outfit and a bream sp combo and see how I go. I have some aerial maps and the street directory so fingers crossed.

Cheers....If the southerly kicks in as predicted, then the southern shores will be the best with the wind at my back. I want to travel light to try out different areas so wont be using bait, only lures. With crap weather forecast, I dont see myself getting up for a trip off the rocks, so will plod around while the missus is at the beautician . Ill take the sluggo outfit and a bream sp combo and see how I go. I have some aerial maps and the street directory so fingers crossed.

Good Luck,

Give us an update.

The spit bridge is a great place to try for kingies on land. But they want live bait like squid or yakkas. Lures may work like a weighted sluggo. Try a couple of hours before high tide. If you fish the northern side you will be able to access Fisher bay. THis is possibly the number one kingfish spot in summer months in Middle Harbour. AN easy cast will get you into the action.

Past Roseville bridge is great for all your estuary species. Jew, bream, flatties...etc. Just take your insect repellent as there are LOTS of biting insects.CHeers Kelvin