Googong Goodoo

Lizardboy

Headed down to Googong Dam, just outside of Queanbeyan saturday morning.

For those who don't know it was formed by damming the Queanbeyan river and its now canberra's main water supply and such it is accessable with electric motors only. It was the first time that I've fished the place and the water level is really low, with the ramp is a long way out of the water. As a result of people getting stuck trying to launch there boats the national parks have blocked off access, so that you can't drive within 100 metres of the water...which makes launching a bitch , canoes and kayaks are pretty much the only option.

Pete who some of you may know from the fishing department at Gowings came along and the car trip down was nothing but fishing talk, I lost cound of the number of future trips we planned as well as the fishing stories that we recounted.

Anyway we got to Queanbeyan about 1, found a cheap motel and headed for the dam. We trolled our way up to the Dam wall, before opting for spinnerbaits that proved the undoing of a cod each. They really are impressive fish, they look amazing, hit hard and are exceptionally powerful. Pete managed a couple of Golden Perch later in the afternoon, whilst I managed a tiny redfin.

post-78-1109587462_thumb.jpg

My First Murray Cod at 8lb's :biggrin2:

Sunday morning we headed straight for the dam wall and it seems Pete had the right lure, which was nailed on three consecutive passed of the wall. One thing that sticks in my mind is Pete groaning every time a cod slammed his lure. The rest of the session was pretty quiet with only a few tiny redfin landed.

All in all it was a great trip and I'm definately keen to head back there in the near future.

Lizard

Pete's Biggest for the trip an 8 1/2 Pounder

post-78-1109587629_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lizardboy

Awesome fish Lizardboy :thumbup: I haven't fished Googong in a while but I used to walk to shore with spinnerbaits and HB's and get some nice Goldens and some impressive Redfin. Apparently there are some massive Browns in there as well.

Cheers

Windy

Thanks Guys :beersmile:

Chris, the canoe handles the open water pretty well as long as their is no major wake from other boats, which isn't a problem with Googong being an electric only fishery. We had the dam to ourselves saturday afternoon and we only saw one other kayak fisho sunday arvo. I does get blown round a bit though and we had 20 knot winds late on saturday arvo which made stationery casting a bit difficult...Do they make a foot control pedal that could be used on a canoe :biggrin2:

The sounder was invaluable, especially for trolling as we new what depth our lures were running at and could locate dropofff structure etc. I noticed a lot of very large densy packed schools of small redfin on the sounder particularly around the dam wall and I reckon thats what the cod would have been feeding on of a night time. Pete's deep diver that did all the damage on day two was in a redfin type pattern, which may have had something to do with its success.

You should get down there mate!

Lizard

Edited by Lizardboy

Great report and awesome looking fish there LB! :1fishing1::thumbup:

I haven't caught a cod yet, but when I eventually get to targetting them, I'd be over the moon if I got one of around the size shown in your pics' - great fish fellas!

Pukka