Marine Carpet Alternative

Bruce the Postie

G'day Raiders,

After many years of putting up with the drawbacks of marine carpet, i have been searching for a suitable alternative that meets my demands.

I have been after something that will not hold water,will not catch hooks etc,easy to clean,non slip,weatherproof and is comfortable underfoot.I think i have found it! :yahoo: ,i saw this product mentioned somewhere else,and thought it sounded good,so i sent away for a sample(which was sent late yesterday arvo ,and landed in my hot little hands this morning ).

It's a 3mm thick rubber mat product that seems to meet the criteria i was after,and i reckon i looks the goods too.

What do you guys think ?

post-5510-128047842151_thumb.jpg

post-5510-128047845817_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Bruce :beersmile:

used it before for other purposes. It is made from recycled rubber. Will work a treat but unsure of the long term use as it may fall apart over time. If it works it will be good but I think I prefer the carpet.

Cheers Andrew

P.S I got it a bit thicker. 12mm I think. I will go through my invoices and find out where I got it and get back to you.

Looks like Regupol Granite flooring. It is an excellent product and looks as good today as when I installed it 7 years ago.

Cheers

Marlin

Thats the stuff Marlin,

Would you have any tips on laying this product,and if it is a worthwhile change from marine carpet?.Do you have any pics of your boat with the Regupol flooring in it, and how does it stand up to the rigeurs of fishing,tubing,cruising etc,any drawbacks. Any info would be great.

Cheers,

Bruce

Cannot compare to carpet as it is streets ahead. You cannot slip on it, wet or dry. Doesnt absorb water or smells like carpet. Doesnt wear like carpet and is too easy to clean. Well worth the extra spend as it will outware carpet easily.

Laying is not that hard but I did have a carpet layer mate doing the work. Moulds to curves well just be liberal with the contact.

I inlayed the boat name into the floor in a different colour, looks good.

I will shrink some photos and attatch later.

Cheers Dave

G'day Dave,

Thanks for that info mate,everything that the salesman promised and more,but it's worth 1000 times more coming from a satisfied customer.

I'll be eagerly awaiting those photos Dave,that boat name idea sound great,but probably too much overkill in my beloved old girl.

Thanks for your help mate,

Cheers,

Edited by Bananaphobic

Bruce

Cannot compare to carpet as it is streets ahead. You cannot slip on it, wet or dry. Doesnt absorb water or smells like carpet. Doesnt wear like carpet and is too easy to clean. Well worth the extra spend as it will outware carpet easily.

Laying is not that hard but I did have a carpet layer mate doing the work. Moulds to curves well just be liberal with the contact.

I inlayed the boat name into the floor in a different colour, looks good.

I will shrink some photos and attatch later.

Cheers Dave

is this dave from narrabeen

peter

No, I'm Dave from Newcastle.

Pic of inlayed name,

post-2950-128082836557_thumb.jpg

Another shot

post-2950-128082845136_thumb.jpg

Bruce,

Seriously one of the best things installed in the overhaul (I have had the boat 26yrs) along with hydraulic steering which may seem like overkill on a 4.5M boat but I will never have steering troubles again.

Cheers Dave

Pic of inlayed name,

Another shot

Bruce,

Seriously one of the best things installed in the overhaul (I have had the boat 26yrs) along with hydraulic steering which may seem like overkill on a 4.5M boat but I will never have steering troubles again.

Cheers Dave

Dave keep the oil topped up or you well have trouble alright.

Dave keep the oil topped up or you well have trouble alright.

Havent had to touch the oil and havent use a drop in 7 years. The way it should be on a sealed system I guess.

can you please PM me where you get this stuff from

need to put some thing on my floor and im not too keen on carpet

cheers

http://www.regupol.com.au/au/products/sports-leisure/marine-applications/overview-marine-applications.php

should get you there.

Cheers Marlin

G'day Raiders,

After many years of putting up with the drawbacks of marine carpet, i have been searching for a suitable alternative that meets my demands.

I have been after something that will not hold water,will not catch hooks etc,easy to clean,non slip,weatherproof and is comfortable underfoot.I think i have found it! :yahoo: ,i saw this product mentioned somewhere else,and thought it sounded good,so i sent away for a sample(which was sent late yesterday arvo ,and landed in my hot little hands this morning ).

It's a 3mm thick rubber mat product that seems to meet the criteria i was after,and i reckon i looks the goods too.

What do you guys think ?

post-5510-128047842151_thumb.jpg

post-5510-128047845817_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

it may be just wot ineed for my 12 ft runabout can you tell me the cost compaired with marine carpet thanks ray the bull

Pic of inlayed name,

Another shot

Bruce,

Cheers Dave

Looks great Dave,well it looks like i'm sold on this stuff.I'll try and remember to take some pics before during and after the laying of the new flooring.

Thanks to all raiders who put in their 2 bobs worth.

Cheers,

• 3 months later...

G'day All,

Had a very kind offer from one of my customers who used to be a carpet layer,he said he would give me a hand(read,do all the work while i watch) to lay the regupol matting in my boat.Well that day was today and i could'nt be happier with the results,a big thankyou to Bob.

Here's a few pics of before and after.

post-5510-044235700 1290826637_thumb.jpg

post-5510-005676600 1290826672_thumb.jpg

post-5510-024701300 1290826700_thumb.jpg

post-5510-054239100 1290826735_thumb.jpg

post-5510-027792300 1290826766_thumb.jpg

post-5510-069286800 1290826799_thumb.jpg

post-5510-092892600 1290826833_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Bananaphobic

G'day All,

Had a very kind offer from one of my customers who used to be a carpet layer,he said he would give me a hand(read,do all the work while i watch) to lay the regupol matting in my boat.Well that day was today and i could'nt be happier with the results,a big thankyou to Bob.

Here's a few pics of before and after.

post-5510-044235700 1290826637_thumb.jpg

post-5510-005676600 1290826672_thumb.jpg

post-5510-024701300 1290826700_thumb.jpg

post-5510-054239100 1290826735_thumb.jpg

post-5510-027792300 1290826766_thumb.jpg

post-5510-069286800 1290826799_thumb.jpg

post-5510-092892600 1290826833_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Hi Bruce, is this stuff uv stable? Just worry the stuff decompose by the time.

Cheers, Phil

It certainly looks the goods.

Did you glue it down?

and do you mind telling us the cost of it (per metre or sq metre)?

G'day Shaune,

It does look good does'nt it.

Not glued down mate,but stuck down in strategic places with double sided lino tape(the good stuff used by the trade).And as for the price,i got it for $54 a sq metre,might sound a little bit expensive but when compared to quality marine carpet there is just no contest.

Cheers,

Howdy.

Yes this stuff looks very good. Definitely makes a boat look heaps better and safer and would like to fit some to by boat but would you know whether it "sweats". This is a worry for me because I have a very old hull and am worried about the floor rotting out if it has anything on it because it may be constantly wet.

I put marine carpet in my boat for a short time but ripped it up pretty quick because the floor stayed damp days after I washed the boat.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Howdy.

Yes this stuff looks very good. Definitely makes a boat look heaps better and safer and would like to fit some to by boat but would you know whether it "sweats". This is a worry for me because I have a very old hull and am worried about the floor rotting out if it has anything on it because it may be constantly wet.

I put marine carpet in my boat for a short time but ripped it up pretty quick because the floor stayed damp days after I washed the boat.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

G'day mate,

This stuff does not hold water,and if your floor is in good nick(watertight)i don't think it would matter what you put down to cover it,after all it is a boat and by nature it is going to get wet.If you have concerns about the integrity of your hull then i suggest that you have a good look at the condition of your floor and rectify any problems before they get out of hand.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,