Nannygai?

mrpasqualie

We caught a few of these two weeks ago in 60 metres offshore from The Heads. A Chinese person on board called them Red Big Eyes and they are apopular eating fish in Hong Kong.

We had never seen them before off Sydney.

Its called a Red Bigeye, have pulled a few out of the Hacking over the years but pretty sure its supposed to be a deep water fish.

R

I checked out the fisheries site for a red big eye, and yeah, it is extremely similar but not the same. Still unsure. Thanks for replying.

post-2438-009306000 1297824876_thumb.jpg

post-2438-051151500 1297824885_thumb.jpg

I checked out the fisheries site for a red big eye, and yeah, it is extremely similar but not the same. Still unsure. Thanks for replying.

It is a red bigeye. The slight variations are just that. Yours is photographed just after capture no doubt.

post-11324-037904600 1297829808_thumb.jpg

My first impression is that it's a red bullseye.

I have caught them on the 12 mile years ago.

I can't find a good photo of it to compare though - I'll have to go through my photo albums at home to find it...

It looks a lot like the red bigeye but the tail is concave in your fish and not the same as that in the photo....

Very interesting...

Tony

Wow,

great to see someone else has caught them too. I got a couple out of MH about 10 years ago and have never really known what they were. They have the weirdest eyes. I bet you got it in the deep water between Bantry Bay and where you do the left hand turn to go up to the Spit Bridge. There is about 100 feet in a couple of holes there and a small jumpup.

BP.