Hacking Wide Marlin Trip

Pongrass18ft

Hi Fishraiders,

Went out yesterday with high hopes of catching a Marlin after reading Wacko's report. Hit the boat ramp at 5.30am. First stop was to gather some yellowtail and head off shore. We put some lures in Bates Bay and trolled up some stripe tuna which we were also going to use as bait. They were easy found and easy caught. We then went out to the Shelf and trolled for several hours with no results so we headed to Browns Mountain to break up the day and have a deep drop. There we caught Deep Sea Perch and a nice Nannagai (I think as it is huge....48cm). By now it was around 4pm and I really wanted to get my lures back on the move as I know afternoon fishing can be quite productive. We put a spread of 4 lures out and started to troll back, it wouldn't have been 5 minutes, the short left corner had a huge Marlin easily over the 100kg mark come up and take the lure. Being my first Marlin and having tried for 3 years it was a sight to see how they come up and ambush the lure :yahoo: First run was huge taking several hundred metres of line off the 50w while my friend was pulling in the other rods. He then chased the fish for me so I could get some line back on my reel. This fish really put on a show for us jumping in the air many, many times. In real life it's so much better and more fun than watching it on TV. After 1 hour we managed to get the fish 10m from the boat and then the hook snapped as seen in the photo attached (Black Magic pre-rigged lures and hooks). What are good hooks to replace these hooks????? I was shocked to see a hook of that quality fail but I was very happy to see my knots and equipment were up to the test. It wasn't a stripy as there was no stipes, I was leaning more towards a Blue Marlin as it was very blue in colour. VERY VERY happy at this stage as I finally got to fight a beast of the deep :1yikes: After getting over the high we set off again with our lures out and we wouldn't have gone for more that half an hour and the left hand long corner went off on the Lumo Lure as seen in the picture but we failed to hook this one up but we saw his head out of the water going for the lure. We then trolled for a short while more with no more strikes so decided to head back. We were back in the Hacking just after 8pm.

My mate wanted to have a quick fish before going home where he hooked himself a soapie whereas I couldn't fish as I was still in shock at how good a day I had out there. Wish I could have more of these days but I know they are far and few between but memories are for life.

Chris

post-13990-005782400 1298839952_thumb.jpg

post-13990-096922100 1298839989_thumb.jpg

post-13990-003281500 1298840004_thumb.jpg

post-13990-084172600 1298840035_thumb.jpg

post-13990-099273800 1298840053_thumb.jpg

post-13990-082924200 1298840070_thumb.jpg

Hi Mate

sounds like you had an exciting afternoon. We fished out of Botany on Saturday and trolled the peak, plonk hole, twelve mile and then on to Browns. We caught a striped marlin just on the other side of the shelf. Estimated weight 105kg. On Saturday we saw little bait and temp was 23.7 on the shelf. The only bait we saw had the fish in amongst it.

Hi Mate

sounds like you had an exciting afternoon. We fished out of Botany on Saturday and trolled the peak, plonk hole, twelve mile and then on to Browns. We caught a striped marlin just on the other side of the shelf. Estimated weight 105kg. On Saturday we saw little bait and temp was 23.7 on the shelf. The only bait we saw had the fish in amongst it.

Thanks piratin,good to get the monkey off my back lets hope conditions are favourable to go trolling over coming weeks, congratulations on the stripe marlin,would love to hook that next as i would like to see one lit up out there.

chris

Congratulations Chris. :thumbup:

Sounds like you had a top day out. I bet you've still got a smile on your face!

Cheers

Peter

Hi peter it's so good to finally tackle with the marlin,last year i tried shellharbour area for nil and to finally tackle one on home turf is :yahoo: .

Put the red fish on the aquarium fish ID on this site and boattart came up with what it is,a alfonsino i thought it was a nannygai oversized from the deep good to see another new species to put on fishraider.

chris

Awsome stuff,

Congrats on hooking your first beakie, Shame you didnt ge it closer to the boat for a few photos but you'd already got to see the main show!!!! Nice mixed bag of fish too!

Thanks fishlexic,i was so amazed by the dancing it did all over the ocean would of been great to of had out of water shots to post,a third person with a camera would of been beaut.

chris

Hi Chris, Congratulations on a great day, there certainly seem to be a good supply of fish around at the moment.

As for the broken hook over the last 2 years we have broke top brand swivels and hooks on big fish and heavy tackle but this year have been trialing the Mustad Z steel hooks (don't know if you can get them in Aus yet but I ordered mine from Meltons to trial) and have caught a few sustantial Blues on them this season including one last Thursday that was over 250kg on 60kg line that took 700mtrs on his first run and the bottom 10/0 drove straight throught the bill and held beautifully. We have been giving them a good workout and they definitely appear much more reliable than their stainless versions.

Hope it all holds together for you next time.

Mark

Hi Chris, Congratulations on a great day, there certainly seem to be a good supply of fish around at the moment.

As for the broken hook over the last 2 years we have broke top brand swivels and hooks on big fish and heavy tackle but this year have been trialing the Mustad Z steel hooks (don't know if you can get them in Aus yet but I ordered mine from Meltons to trial) and have caught a few sustantial Blues on them this season including one last Thursday that was over 250kg on 60kg line that took 700mtrs on his first run and the bottom 10/0 drove straight throught the bill and held beautifully. We have been giving them a good workout and they definitely appear much more reliable than their stainless versions.

Hope it all holds together for you next time.

Mark

Mark they sound like there very stong hooks.Will try and get my hands on some

chris

sorry to hear you lost a nice marling and thats correct what do you replace a good name brand hook with???

some nice table is better tan nothing :thumbup:

Totally right Groper, I thought Black Magic hooks were good....I learn't heaps from my last trip. I'm replacing all my stainless steel black magic hooks and going to Mustad Z Super Marlin Hooks.....very pricy from the States but worth it thanks to Mark from fishraider (boattart) who guided me towards these hooks. Can't wait to tackle with the next one over the coming weeks.

Chris

great work chris you persisted goin out 4 a marlin and you hooked 1 great work

Thanks Moe. You and I gave it a good go over the last few seasons, I'm learning heaps as I go to increase my chances and like any fishing with persistance comes rewards. Glad to see you're still into Jew fishing, I think I converted you good and proper. I haven't been for a proper Jewfish session this year at all. Meng got a soapie the other night as you can see in the photo.

Chris

Totally right Groper, I thought Black Magic hooks were good....I learn't heaps from my last trip. I'm replacing all my stainless steel black magic hooks and going to Mustad Z Super Marlin Hooks.....very pricy from the States but worth it thanks to Mark from fishraider (boattart) who guided me towards these hooks. Can't wait to tackle with the next one over the coming weeks.

Chris

Hi Chris,

There are also 7691Z Mustad hooks I was referring to(7691S is the standard stainless version) and the 7761Z are the Super Marlin. The 7691Z are cheaper than standard stainless. The Super Marlin are super strong and super expensive and I am using them in bigger sizes but I think an overkill in the small sizes and infact the extra heavy shank will probably impede the action of small lures.

Mark

Edited by boattart

Thanks Moe. You and I gave it a good go over the last few seasons, I'm learning heaps as I go to increase my chances and like any fishing with persistance comes rewards. Glad to see you're still into Jew fishing, I think I converted you good and proper. I haven't been for a proper Jewfish session this year at all. Meng got a soapie the other night as you can see in the photo.

Chris

yea been hitting the jews hard went out with hamers on thursday nite got 3 schoolies and lost 1 around 20kg

Edited by SQUIDIN