short trip to browns

pure spirit

Finally was able to get out to browns, headed out of roseville at about 4ish (was running well ahead of time... could not sleep) and went to get some livies had figured that I might use them at 12 mile. Anyway picked up my mate at watsons and headed to 12miles for a quick jig (and livebait) could not sound anything and there was fish trap buoys right on my mark :thumbdown: keen to fish brown made the call to head straight there. About this time it became clear that the pills that my mate had taken didn't work but he was keen to continue on. Arriving at browns there was about 10 boats, first drop results in a biggish thing !!! think hairtail with a normal fish tail any suggests (edit turns out to be a Ribbon fish, coming in at 145cm long caught on cuttlefish bait)? one missing shark clip and the other one baited. 2nd drop score a nice gem, by this time my mate was no better so i said we'd scrap the plan to cube just do a couple more drops bag out and head home. Sadly the next drop caught the bottom my break away worked but lost the bottom before anything took the bait and then the next drop i got snipper by something :ranting2: my mate was not looking good at all so called it a day

HAd a goog return trip bit bumpy till about the half way mark but made it back in under 1.5hrs which included a number of spew stops, Not to sure if my mate will want to head out again but one thing for sure he wont rely in ginger tablets again. :wacko:

post-16646-029037100 1312276356_thumb.jpg

post-16646-034401700 1312350721_thumb.jpg

Edited by pure spirit

Finally was able to get out to browns, headed out of roseville at about 4ish (was running well ahead of time... could not sleep) and went to get some livies had figured that I might use them at 12 mile. Anyway picked up my mate at watsons and headed to 12miles for a quick jig (and livebait) could not sound anything and there was fish trap buoys right on my mark :thumbdown: keen to fish brown made the call to head straight there. About this time it became clear that the pills that my mate had taken didn't work but he was keen to continue on. Arriving at browns there was about 10 boats, first drop results in a biggish thing !!! think hairtail with a normal fish tail any suggests? one missing shark clip and the other one baited. 2nd drop score a nice gem, by this time my mate was no better so i said we'd scrap the plan to cube just do a couple more drops bag out and head home. Sadly the next drop caught the bottom my break away worked but lost the bottom before anything took the bait and then the next drop i got snipper by something :ranting2: my mate was not looking good at all so called it a day

HAd a goog return trip bit bumpy till about the half way mark but made it back in under 1.5hrs which included a number of spew stops, Not to sure if my mate will want to head out again but one thing for sure he wont rely in ginger tablets again. :wacko:

The hairtail with a tail is probably a Ribbon Fish, Trachipterus jacksoniensis.

Yowie.

Edited by yowie

Hey Pure spirit,

Nice Gemmie.

As was said earlier, that hairtail type fish is a ribbon fish, also known as a frostfish.

I reckon they are good eating as well and the beauty is that they don't count towards your 5 fish limit.

The snipoff you had was definately a gemfish. I have been cutoff on the drop before - hence the 300lb droppers.

They will get through the 130lb shock leader as well....buggers...they are like the leatherjackets of the mountain....

Tony

I've thrown up pretty much every remedy so far except ET's seasick pills which i've been taking for a couple of years and been fine ever since. Just make sure you take one at least 40min before you hit open water and if it's rough i take another one 4 hours after i have taken the first so taht the 2nd has kicked in before the first wears off. Unless it's pretty ugly the first tablet usually lasts me all day.

Finally was able to get out to browns, headed out of roseville at about 4ish (was running well ahead of time... could not sleep) and went to get some livies had figured that I might use them at 12 mile. Anyway picked up my mate at watsons and headed to 12miles for a quick jig (and livebait) could not sound anything and there was fish trap buoys right on my mark :thumbdown: keen to fish brown made the call to head straight there. About this time it became clear that the pills that my mate had taken didn't work but he was keen to continue on. Arriving at browns there was about 10 boats, first drop results in a biggish thing !!! think hairtail with a normal fish tail any suggests? one missing shark clip and the other one baited. 2nd drop score a nice gem, by this time my mate was no better so i said we'd scrap the plan to cube just do a couple more drops bag out and head home. Sadly the next drop caught the bottom my break away worked but lost the bottom before anything took the bait and then the next drop i got snipper by something :ranting2: my mate was not looking good at all so called it a day

Bummer about your mate.

If you need a fishing buddy that will not be self berlying then im happy to chip in.

Also i notice xxxx in the photo. Im also happy to supply coldies.

Cobba

Hi.

What size boat where you in. I have a 5.25 Cc.

I would love to get out there just need to follow someone out there just to make sure.

Were you using ele reels or your arms/back.

Cheers.

Darryl.

Im in a qinnie sprirt 520 it's 5.8m with a 90hp used about 80lt (I hold 100lt and took a 20lt backup just in case) total running hrs on the engine 6hrs for the day ran the engine the whole time a browns to control my drift.

fishing with electric

Hey Pure spirit,

Nice Gemmie.

As was said earlier, that hairtail type fish is a ribbon fish, also known as a frostfish.

I reckon they are good eating as well and the beauty is that they don't count towards your 5 fish limit.

The snipoff you had was definately a gemfish. I have been cutoff on the drop before - hence the 300lb droppers.

They will get through the 130lb shock leader as well....buggers...they are like the leatherjackets of the mountain....

Tony

thanks for the ID was about 1.2m long came to mid chest, might have to submit it for a FR record

Edited by pure spirit

Bummer about your mate.

If you need a fishing buddy that will not be self berlying then im happy to chip in.

Also i notice xxxx in the photo. Im also happy to supply coldies.

Cobba

It was about 10am and i'd been up since 2am so seemed like a good time to crack a tin ...for the record it was 4x gold... ie mid strenght, will let you know if I need a partner cheers noah