Sydney Harbour Sat 15th Jan

lostproperty

Headed out in the harbour on Saturday to continue our mission to get some more kings. The weather forecast was pretty shocking but I’m always an optimist, and full of beans to get out there. Water quality was pretty bad and the usual squid spots were green and we couldn’t get any. Managed some yakkas for the just in case and headed over to try one last squid spot.

Pulled up and first cast I’m onto a squid ! pulled it in and it was only a baby one, into the bucket, second cast, onto another one! How good is this! Felt bad for the charter guy anchored up near us watch me pull in 2 in 2 casts while they pulled in nothing… I was using a $10 pink jig, seems to be working well for me at the moment. Anyway, I should have kept my strike rate at 2 from 2, because it ended up being 2 from 100 and we didn’t get anymore squid. Happy that we at least had some fresh squid we motored off to North Head to try and test out my Kwells, lucky for my they are working pretty well so I get to keep my breakfast.

Stopped at a marker on the way is something decent grabbed by baby squid head (it’d died already so halved it up) and went for a run, just didn’t get the hook set enough and spat the hook and got away L

See a guy trolling a live yakka fighting a good sized king for about 5 mins, only to lose it right at the boat thanks to his mates netting skills, his mate copped it! Hard ! Was entertaining to watch – because it wasn’t us losing a fish I guess.

So we throw our squid strips overboard, mine isn’t down for long and I feel it go, give it a good strike and not much of a fight, so I’m thinking its not a king, maybe a trevalley.

Up comes this weird looking thing! Turns out it’s a FishRaider record, not bad for my first Leather Jacket! 46cms & back in the ocean it went.

post-19176-046646500 1326764661_thumb.jpg

Gave up bobbing the swell and nothing on the sounder, not even pickers, so we packed up and headed into some sheltered areas in the harbour and anchor up.

My mates rod goes off after Ive been throwing in plenty of burley, fighting hard so we think it has to be a king! Turns out it ended up being a Salmon, weird that it took a strip of squid but anyway. Not long after rod goes off again and he’s onto a Bonito, but still no kings!

My leader seems to just keep floating over my sinker and twisting up my line (30lb braid-swivel-50lb fluro) so probably lucky Im not hooking up to anything, we decide we’ve had enough and pull up the anchor. Just as I’ve got it up, we see a small splash, quickly grab our rods and change to metal lures and wait, bust ups all around us and away we go frantic casting ! I hook a bonito on my 8lb fluro rod and get it all the way to the boat and he spits the hook! Devastated! My mate pulls in another Bonnie, so I grab his rod while he’s bleeding his and have a cast, see a bust up next to the boat so wind in quicker to cast there, and I’m on! Get another Bonnie into the boat, these bonnies fight like kings!

We have fish busting up all around it, its awesome! Jumping out of the water and everything, really awesome to see, and good end to the day after a pretty poor start, got a good feed of Bonito, made some Sushi with the Mrs, got the rice from a Japanese Restaurant as CBF cooking it myself.

post-19176-016825500 1326764482_thumb.jpg

Hopefully next outing will have my new rod and reel setup and ill have much better casting distance than with my current fiberglass rod.

Edited by DownToFish

Bonnie is superb sashimi. Good tip is to get it cold so it firms up a bit. One recommendation is to wrap the fillet in glad wrap and keep it in the fridge over night.

Great work and impressive kitchen skills. Great idea to buy the rice from the local restaurant.

I've got a vac sealer at home so I just fillet it up after being in the fridge for a few hours then vac seal it and back in the fridge again, i can only stomach chips while on the boat, don't know how well sashimi would go down and probably a bit warm to fillet nicely as well.

good report dude

that was me that lost that fish at the boat and yeah i was spewin , it was a good fish :mad3: . the bloke i had with me is very new to fishing and doesnt understand it can be a team sport when hitting the big fish . oh well was probably my fault , shouldve tail grabbed him after his first attempt

cheers boys

• 2 weeks later...