How do you spot gutter?

Guest mike2153

Guest mike2153

Hi guys ive been beach fishing a few times with 0 success just get fustrated more than anything and its because no matter how hard i look for a spot i cant find a decent one.

So how do you spot a gutter in the surf? I know its where the waves arent crashing but i need more info than that, do they run parallel to the shoreline do they run perpendicualar to the shoreline?

What do they look like does anyone have any photos?

Every beach i go to it all looks the same with no 'gutters'?

Yeah, where you get to the beach, just take about 5 minutes to stand at the top and just really focus on the sets of waves coming in. Some beaches are rather featureless and seem uniform throughout, however a lot of them have sandbanks, gutters and channels and the waves that roll over them give you clues. The areas where there are channels (perpendicular) that lead out to sea are where the rips form and usually are connected to the gutters which run parallel to beach. It might help to identify what isn't a gutter such as sandbanks if deciding on a spot. I find that helps narrow it down for me.

one way to find the gutters is to tie a large ball sinker on your mainline and cast as far as you can...the ball sinker will move left or right...follow the ball sinker until it stops moving...as soon as u r right angle / perpendicular to the beach...ie your mainline....thats where the gutter is...it works for me...hope this helps...

A good way to spot gutters and holes is to look for the spots where the waves aren't breaking, they just roll over or the areas where the wave breaks into white water than reforms into the shore break. The area between the breaking waves is usually a gutter, deeper water that fish travel along looking for food stirred up by the broken wave. A lot of my fish, especially whiting and flathead have all come from the gutter closest to my feet, just behind the wave breaking on the shore... It's amazing how close some of the sharks I've hooked up were to the shore... I still cast as far as I can to cover more water on the slow retrive, ensuring the closest gutter gets as much attention as the furthest.

G'day mate , here is a pic showing both a parallel and outward gutter, you can clearly see the colour change in the water, I will fish beside the gutter and lets my baits roll into the gutter and or deeper water.

Hope this helps a little..

post-3371-0-41056700-1368649632_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray R

Guest mike2153

Perfect thanks guys for your help i think i have it now, now to just go out and find one for myself, Its surprising how close to the shore a gutter can be, can you really catch fish 20m out or so? i was always under the assumption that you need to throw the thing a mile when beach fishing and try to get it over the waves.
So im guessing the gutter are where ive circled? Thanks Ray for the pic mate big help.

post-30406-0-37363300-1368706781_thumb.png

Yep that's it mate, you only need to cast where the gutter is, I like to go as light as I can as far as sinkers are concerned, fish will often be within the first 10 - 20 meters..

• 3 weeks later...