Grant scores first Yak marlin of the season SWR

arpie

Hi guys

A buddy of mine from Taree scored his first yak marlin for the season this week from his Hobie Revo 13 yak up at South West Rocks. He is a master at catching marlin, snapper, wahoo, mackerel, tuna, cobia & any thing else that swims in the ocean up there ....... getting a 10lb snapper & nice mahi mahi as well on this trip.

post-2231-0-57384600-1387425965_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-98115700-1387425981_thumb.jpg

I'll be going up again with my Kiwi friend, Shelley, who hopes to be the first woman to hook one from a yak - in late Feb/early March, with Grant (pictured above!)

Should be fun (I'll be doing the rivers tho! ;) )

cheers

Roberta

That would be a great effort for a young gun. Does your buddy fit into that category? If not that is an even more amazing feat.

I am totally jealous of anyone who fishes a Yak, that must be the ultimate fishing experience. The closest to sitting on the water that I ever got as a lad was fishing out of an aluminium flying boat sponson that had the top cut out of it to make a place to sit leaving a watertight compartment fore and aft. An absolute dog to paddle but at age 15 or so it got me on the river.

Thank you for sharing the pics with us.

Cheers

Paikea

....That would be a great effort for a young gun. Does your buddy fit into that category? If not that is an even more amazing feat.....

Nope - he is recently retired, so mid 60s!! He is absolutely amazing tho!! His attention to detail is meticulous. He re-spools after every marlin - in case of line damage. The youngies can't keep up with him - then again, maybe he goes too slow for them, hence he gets the fish!! :074:

After the marlin stopped earlier in the year, he took up snapper fishing (for the first time) and landed some amazing fish up to 20lb+!! AMAZING for a snapper beginner!!

post-2231-0-92385300-1387579946_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-26019800-1387579999_thumb.jpg

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

That'd scare me witless!. (Aside from having to overcome sea sickness). Imagine a hauling up any fish over half as big as your yak. Let alone a fish with the attitude of a billfish.

Well done Grant.

I'll stick to shallow water and (mostly) well behaved fish. I prefer to get down low and go slow slow slow.