Hawk Nest / Tea Gardens

Faulks

Hey guys,

Im heading up to Hawks Nest over christmas and wondering if any one has fished up there lately.

I havent been up there for years and last time I was there it was pretty tough going..

Anyone know what the fishing is like up there lately..

Where should I go?

Any info would be great..

Cheers Faulks..

G'day mate,

I haven't fished up there for a while, but the beach always seems to fire, especially in summer. If you can get on to the beach past lemontree passage you should be able to get worms and pippies, and bream/flatties and whiting. The lake generally sucks, but if you can get out onto Jimmies beach and fish around the weed beds you should be able to pick up a few flatties and take a jigf because there are heaps of squidlies.

Matt

Cheers mate,

I can remember the lake being really tough going..

The only problem is you can only hire boats in the lake and cant take them out into jimmys..

I spose I could flick SPs off the beach and see what I come up with..

I remember the mouth of the lake down the end uf jimmys used to be ok..

Every year we head up for a long weekend and at least one day is spent at Jimmys beach with worms purchased from the local tackle shop, 6 pack of beer just pulling in whiting all day.

Other option is to walk the mainland out to the point. Normally good for some bream and tailor and if your really lucky some spinning action for bonnito (but this rare.)

Cheers

Fished there last weekend. Lots of under size bream. I was only using bait, if you are into sp i think they could be the go. I fish in the Myall River between Jimmy's Beach and Corrie Island. Its an awesome part of the world.

i remember from years ago, if you fish on the tea gardens side of the port stevens channel. the best spot is to get amongst the oyster leases and mangroves for bream. fish with light gear and if possible use fresh prawns. cant remember the best tides to fish but i always caught several good size fish in about 1 - 2ft of water in about 15 minutes. it can be snaggy but it is worth the effort, hence the no sinkers helps. give it a try and let us know how you go.

cheers

mick :thumbup:

On the hawks nest side of the bay you can always fish up near the boulders. At this time of year there would be massive sized flounders. We have caught them up to the size of hubcaps in that area, but that was from a boat.

Otherwise Jimmy's beach or even the beach at hawks nest produces great bream and whiting early in the morning on fresh cockles that are in the sand on the beach.

There are heaps of fish up at Port, problem is the amount of water to cover to locate them. If you can get a boat then try the racks and the delbora marina rockwall. Just double check the sanctaury zones as thier are some more appearing.

Cheers

Lee

Guest Sea Jay

Hey mate i have been going to hawks nest with the family for the past 7 years and again this year cause of work i dont know when i am up there.

I have always found that there has been no shortage of whiting off jimmys

This is the first year that i will have the boat up there so if anyone can sujest me some good spots to try off the boat would be greatley appriciated!!

Hi Faulks,

I fished the Lakes around this time last year. I caught 2 of the biggest bream in my life on that trip at a huge "drop off hole" around the bend of Violet Hill Passage. Just remember that the lake produces fish few and far between unless you catch a school of smaller bream then you can have fun catching and releasing for hours. If you want to do some research before fishing; look up "brackish waters". I have heard that the bigger bream enter brackish water to breed but I have only fished it that one time and was ecstatic with the two thumper breams I caught over a three day houseboat holiday. The kids had a great time with the smaller breams caught at night while moored just past the ferry crossing at the 'restaurant'.

Have fun and let us know how you go.

Eddie

• 10 years later...