Getting More Hits!

bluefin

In Choppers discussion on speed, mention was made to sitting lower in the water and getting more hits. The trend towards high casting platforms and pedistal seats often worried me in regards to spooking fish in shallow water. I have found that the lower you are to the water, and the less obvious you are in the boat, the more fish you get take the lure close, and often next to the boat. this also applies to tailor down at Bobbin Head. Having a Bream smash the lure right at the boat, is heart stopping. I love it!

Just out of curiosity guys.

When I was deciding what type of boat to purchase, I was seriously thinking about a proper bream/bass boat. But I wanted something with a cover & can go out a bit further so I decided to get a stacer 455.

Can anyone please tell me the disadvantages I have over a bream/bass boat??

I still like to flick sp''s and dont find it a problem. One day I would like to also own a bream/bass boat.

Also has anyone fitted an electric to a boat like mine??

Thanks

Joe

This is a big question of compromise Bluefin.

Being close to the waterline makes sense in a still estuary environment, but open water/inshore work requires a little more in the way of water clearance.

I know for me the ability to tackle both areas in safety is going to be of paramount importance so high sides are a must....within reason.

As a point of note, Mick C (the champion bream tourny angler on these boards) runs a Nomad 460, which is a more traditional side console Stacer with higher sides than most of the Hornets/Edgetrackers etc. I can vouch for the comfort of this boat in open waters, for both handling and spray deflection, and his catch record speaks for itself!! :fisho: :fisho: :fisho:

Can anyone please tell me the disadvantages I have over a bream/bass boat??

I still like to flick sp''''s and dont find it a problem. One day I would like to also own a bream/bass boat.

Also has anyone fitted an electric to a boat like mine??

Hey GI Joe,

See my comment on Mick C''s Stacer Nomad 460. He has a bow mounted leccy and it has no problems.

His unit is actually a really good compromise for all inshore work.

Thanks Bryon & Swoffa

Iam really considering adding an electric for hitting the oyster racks this summer but not sure how it would work & cost???

Can anyone be kind enough to send me some pics. Much appreciated guys.

GI JOE

Guest pedro

G I - Yours is a runabout isn''t it ?? If so - you have the same disadvantage as me. You can''t mount a leccy on the bow & stand up there to drive. You can put one on the stern but they don''t give much manouverability in a wind. Billfish tried one on his previous runabout a few years back & I get the impression it wasn''t a real success. Any comments Bill ??

Best you can do is drift. Which takes out the option of ''holding station'' to fish pylons, snags & under boats. Its a bugger - but I get to take mine places where the others aren''t suitable so you can''t have the best of both worlds.

Sorry to change the topic guys, but if your boat is a runabout, you can still mount an electric to the front. But instead of using the foot pedal, you can buy a Co-Pilot for a Minn Kota which hangs around your neck or can even be mounted on your rod and the electric can be controlled from that,

Cheers,

Billy K

Guest pedro

The windscreen is still a problem in the wind though Chopper. Bloody thing is like a sail. Just my opinion - but if I was that keen to fish with a leccy the first thing I would do is ditch the runabout. Bugger it - I need 2 boats.

The windscreen is still a problem in the wind though Chopper.  Bloody thing is like a sail.  Just my opinion - but if I was that keen to fish with a leccy the first thing I would do is ditch the runabout.  Bugger it - I need 2 boats.

2 boats - probably the best option Pedro :ohyeh:

Guest Jocool

Speaking of 2 boats...Mate has a 3.6 dinghy Im going to look at soon. Its going for the princely sum of $150! :nana:

guys, I had the same issue early this year. I had 2 boats, a 16ft h/cabin for harbour fishing and sleep outs and at the same time built up a small 375 quinnie dart for bream fishing.

Gave them both away and ended up buying a Brooker c/c (similar style/layout to MickC''s boat). deeper gunnels, wide beam. It''s great for harbour and a bit of light of shore work and is plenty for breamin (I''m no tournament expert)

Having said that an open style bream boat is still the best for PURE breamin as I get annoyed with the console cause it doesnt give you much of a front deck to fish from and when the wind gets out whilst your breamin the deeper gunnels can make it a bit more difficult to manouvre

GI Joe, if I can get my camera working again I''ll send some pics of the electric. It''s a bit bodgy looking but does the job. However, I will be changing the position soon to sit closer to the side of the front rails rather than the middle

Adam

Edited by AdamK