Barrington Tops

pjfrad

How did you go up at Barrington on the weekend?

I learnt to fish up there catching rainbow trout on worms and celtas many moons ago. My experience with Barrigton is that is holds some good fish, but you have to walk into remote areas to find them. We use to get a topographic map and walk in to some of the remote parts of the Dilgry River.

I can remember one trip into the Dilgry River, throwing my backpack through the blackberries and crawling behind it to get through the scrub. Pretty funny trip after bush bashing for about 2 hours through scrub from hell my good mate worked out that his fly rod tube felt lighter than it should be and then worked out he had left his fly rod at home... then while trying to dry out our boots they caught on fire and we had to file burnt leather down and tape them up to be able to walk in them.

Burnsy

How did you go up at Barrington on the weekend?

I learnt to fish up there catching rainbow trout on worms and celtas many moons ago. My experience with Barrigton is that is holds some good fish, but you have to walk into remote areas to find them. We use to get a topographic map and walk in to some of the remote parts of the Dilgry River.

I can remember one trip into the Dilgry River, throwing my backpack through the blackberries and crawling behind it to get through the scrub. Pretty funny trip after bush bashing for about 2 hours through scrub from hell my good mate worked out that his fly rod tube felt lighter than it should be and then worked out he had left his fly rod at home... then while trying to dry out our boots they caught on fire and we had to file burnt leather down and tape them up to be able to walk in them.

Burnsy

Yeah I'm keen to know also, c'mon PJ spill the beans mate.

That's a classic story Burnsy :biggrin2:. Remind me never to go on a fishing trip with you, or your mate. :1prop::074:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Edited by madsmc

Shane you have inspired me to start a thread on the worst ever fishing expeditions in the general fishing chat area.

Thinking of a few others.

- Got lost and almost karked from dehydration at Eucumbene

- Walked into three differnt remote rivers in Barrigton looking for trout and my mate collapsed.

- Mates run out of motor oil on the shelf off Port Stephens and were found by chopper two days later 150km east of Sydney

I reckon the raiders could write a book between us.

Burnsy

Yeah I'm keen to know also, c'mon PJ spill the beans mate.

That's a classic story Burnsy :biggrin2:. Remind me never to go on a fishing trip with you, or your mate. :1prop::074:

Shane

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the lateness of the reply, managed to get myself sick as a dog whilst in the mountains. :ranting2:

I didn't manage to get any line wet because the creeks we saw at the top were'nt holding a lot of water and I couldn't go to far off tract because of :wife: . Further down where there water was accessable from the road (via bridges, etc...) it was way to warm. This was around the northern section of the mountains anyhow. Next time I think I will visit maybe Glouster Tops (The south-eastern side), there seem to be a few rivers running down from there.

So I didn't manage to get to any water I thought would be fishable. :thumbdown::1badmood: There's always next time.

Peter

Oh well, there's always next time.

Bad luck PJ, but as you said, there's always next time.

It's a fair chunk of land up that way so it'll take a few trips to suss it all out. There isn't much in the way of research material either, so it's just a case of experience I guess.

I might have to head up for a day in March while I'm on leave and check it out. Maybe between the three of us we can find the good streams. :thumbup:

By the way, what sort of flies do you guys think would be the go up there?

Shane

Ah the barington tops and chichester state forest is a great place to be.

Tops for camping, its realy nice up there, for those that havent been, do your self a favour and check it out :biggrin2:

A plane went down in there over 20 years ago and still hasnt been found.Its so vast and thick in there, its one amazing place

check it out

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/28/...s&oneclick=true

Edited by RestoreMaz