New Outboards

Captain Pugwash

the only thing i can add to the confusion is that you might want to think about the obstuction that the outboards would cause.

at the moment you have a pretty clear fishing area all around your boat but wack a pod with a couple of beefy outboards on it to the back and you will lose a fair amount of clear fishing area.

Hi Guys

Cpt I think u r on the best course taking to the boat builder, there are 2 many variables for us amateurs to think though on boat performance weight distribution, cavitaion, hull lenght etc etc etc, repwoering with non factory talk to the factory first.

On the EFI thing and economy, having just researched the buggery outof outboards to repower my boat,

The Merc have an EFI 2stroke, EFI Opti 2 Stroke and the Verado 4stroke, the EFI is bascily old 2stroke tech, due to US pollution legislationt hey can not even develop basic 2stroke gear. The Opti is a whole different issue. Great feul no smoke lower noise than basic 2stookes and is inthe same style as E-Tec and the Yammie HPDI,

So u can EFI a 2stroke, but it is nothing like an EFI Opti 2stoke.

Good Luck Captain like all will be very interested in hearing what the manufacturer says.

Jon

It's a 2001 model martin - not ancient, the current model was released in 2004 and it doesn't have many differneces. I reckon mercury would mention on their website if their efi's used similar amounts of fuel, would be a great selling point. Are you sure it wasn't the optimax? What would be the point in having an optimax in the range if the efi uses the same amount of fuel as a 4 stroke. I know technology changes, but efi 2 strokes aren't new technology. Sorry but I fail to see how an efi 2 stroke can match a 4 stroke in fuel consumption.

Sorry, it was the OptiMax range I was thinking of not the EFI., and it was the OptiMax refered to in the article.

Another advantage, particularly in twin hulls is because OptiMax is lighter than equivilent sized four-strokes, it’s better suited for smaller and narrow pontoon beam in the twin hull boats and handling is better at all speeds.

OptiMax are a two-stage direct-fuel-injection (DFI) technology, which atomizes fuel. Mercury states "this results in more complete combustion for quick and easy starts, better performance, lower emissions".

They also make the statement that "OptiMax engines are so efficient some owners say driving one is like adding an additional 15-gallon gas tank to their boats".

Cheers

Pete, i know a great freelance marine mechanic (retired) his name is Bob Baker and he is now living in surfers. He would be very happy to advise you as to what your options are. His number is 0423143637. He would not be interested in doing the job but after a lifetime around boat engines in sydney, he will know someone who can help. Tell him you are a friend of Harold Baldry's

hb

• 2 months later...
Guest bluecod

.... I have a 31' Noosa Cat with twin 200hp Volvo Penta's. Through a bilge pump failure one has been flooded by salt water and the other has severe leg damage thru a useless mechanic fitting the wrong uni joint. The result is a quote of 44k to fix both motors.

Pete,

How'd it go, is the Black Pig back on the water yet ?