Fishing Weekend At Cowan Creek Area (suggestions Pls)

timmy

Hi all,

Just joined up the other day - fantastic website!

In a few weeks time 10 of us (all deaf! :biggrin2: ) will be going on houseboat travelling around Cowan Creek area doing some fishing etc.

After reading some of the great artilces Ken wrote about Cowan Creek etc ... I was wondering if any of you fishos out there recommand a more up to date really good spot that is biting alot recently to throw line out to catch some nice size fish to make the weekend more enjoyable. Any more up to date good spots for crab too to throw a crab net out?

Would really appreciate any suggestions of spots that are biting very well recently :1fishing1:

For sure, will e-mail you photos of us all and our catch's (crossing fingers)

Timmy

G'day Timmy and :1welcomeani: to the boards!

Some mates of mine who live in newport took the boat out just last week and managed some nice flatties around 60+ cms around flint and steel and juno head, using live yakkas.

They also said that another boat had caught a jew around 3-4 kgs. i dont know where abouts in the area exactly tho.

so i guess the bigger ones are still hiding :biggrin2:

Cheerio.

hey timmy,

i done the same thing a couple of years ago with 10 mates for our schoolies trip. You wont be dissapointed.

as telcobroker said jerusalem bay is a great place. At the entrance u can fish the holes for jews and flathead,

further in to the left is pinta bay. Great place to get yakkas/squid/mullet and gars for bait. At the end of pinta bay are sand flats, u can pump nippers and play cricket on the sand at low tide. And ive had success further up the river at gunyah point recently for school jew up to about 4kg. Also, Troll bibed minnows up and down the shore around elenor bluffs during run up tide for tailor

hope this helps

matt

Guest bluecod

be going on houseboat travelling around Cowan Creek area doing some fishing etc.

more up to date good spots for crab too to throw a crab net out?

Timmy - mate, hate to burst your bubble but crab pots/traps/nets are a no go in Cowan Creek due to its being a National Park - though they're OK to use in Hawkesbury/Pittwater [exept for The Basin]

tailor are good strip bait - or fish them whole ( live ) hummmmmmm this may be against the rules.... :)

Good luck

Tailor legal size is around 30cm i think.. so dont know about using one for live bait. :074:

Cheerio

Edited by Davy

big baits are the way to go if you want to target BIG jew, dont be afraid to put one out no matter how big.

As for spots in cowan, the place is a breeding ground so expect squillions of baby snapper, bream and jews BUT if you persist with burley and be patient you will get good fish. Ive caught big bream, whiting, tailor, bonito legal jews and even a legal snapper in Cowan but all these fish came at either dusk and middle of the night or really early in the morning (best time ive found is 4-7am) so make sure youve got your lines in at these times. Ive had most success at Waratah Bay but most bays will produce, just stick close to the shore.

Housebaot trips rock so enjoy yourselves.

Good luck