Any Tips For Fishing Ulladulla And Nowra...

OneLastCast

Hi Raiders,

I am heading to Ulladulla and Nowra for a few days next week.

Through consulting various fishing books, websites and maps, I have come up with the following plan of attack:

Ulladulla: Head south to Burrill lake for flatties on sp, also pump yabbies (are they available?) for bream and whiting. Try spinning local beaches for salmon and tailor. If the weather is good (ie calm) head out of Ulladulla harbour for a shot at kings...

Nowra: Pump squirt worms and trap poddies at the island just down from the bridge (is it possible? too muddy?) then fish them near the bridge. If this doesn't work out then head towards the mouth to pump yabbies and get poddies?

Any feedback or further advice GREATLY appreciated.

Will post a report when I get back.

Cheers,

OLC.

Can't speak for Nowra, but your Burrill Lake plan sounds good. There are definitely nippers available at Burrill and the flatty fishing can be quite good (though the fish are often small). The flatty fishing is better about an hour north at Sussex Inlet and St George's basin (and you can use your boat) - but Burrill will do if ya don't want to travel.

As for the Salmon and Tailor - I'd advise that you forget the beaches and concentrate on headlands. That region tends to produce well on southern sides of headlands - i.e. out of the prevailing N'easter - in the evenings. The beaches will, however, fish very well for bream and whiting if you use the nippers for bait.

Also don't forget that Burrill produces prawns on the dark nights, and a bucket of live prawns will outfish nippers down there in most situations.

Good luck - and don't forget to post a report when you get back!!

Mondo

Having fished the area a bit as a kid i def agree with mondo when i comes to targetting the headlands. A personal favorite is the Bannister Head on the north side of Mollimook beach. Although a bit dangerous on the wild days, it has some great deep water access and plenty on yakkas and squid for fresh livies. Warden head at Ulladulla is also good but more rock species, less pelagics due to shallower rocky bottom.

Fishing Burrill can be tough at times due to strong currents. does hold great flatties but also some good whiting on worms and plagues of leatherjackets and chopper in the main lake. Also try Tabourie south if you have the time. Turn right after bridge which spans the channell and there is a good deep creek with stud bream. Watch mozzies and sandflies though.

Good luck mate, looking forward to your report.

Hi Raiders,

I am heading to Ulladulla and Nowra for a few days next week.

Through consulting various fishing books, websites and maps, I have come up with the following plan of attack:

Ulladulla: Head south to Burrill lake for flatties on sp, also pump yabbies (are they available?) for bream and whiting. Try spinning local beaches for salmon and tailor. If the weather is good (ie calm) head out of Ulladulla harbour for a shot at kings...

Nowra: Pump squirt worms and trap poddies at the island just down from the bridge (is it possible? too muddy?) then fish them near the bridge. If this doesn't work out then head towards the mouth to pump yabbies and get poddies?

Any feedback or further advice GREATLY appreciated.

Will post a report when I get back.

Cheers,

OLC.

You are right on the money there, however forget fishing near the brifge, there are plenty of flatties but they are generally small. Instead i suggest you head up river till you come to the first feeder creek (about 1klm from the bridge) and drift the drop off close to sure for some solid flathead. You have every chance of jagging a jew there as well. The run in tide is best in that possie. Good luck