Flathead Drought In Broken Bay

spic

I don't know if I'm loosing my touch but I just can't seem to get onto a patch of decent flatties outside. In previous years I was always able to get a good feed but this year has seen my with not one. Is it just me or have other having the same frustration?

I know it's not Broken Bay or outside but Botany Bay seems to be similar, for me at least. :1prop:

I haven't fished Botany all that much this summer but on the occasions that I have ventured out, there doesn't seem to be as many flatties.

All my usual spots seem quiet but what I have noticed is the usual spots now have plagues of whiting and some good size to them as well. :wacko:

cheers

Hooky

There must be a general shortage of flathead this year. Have you seen the price in the fishshops lately? Over $30.00 per kilo for fillets! There was a time when flathead was everyman's fish. Nowadays they are the same price as John Dory. What is going on?

hmmm

my opinion is 55-60m for flatties is a little to deep,

ive been out the front of botany and around to cronulla with chris "crazedfisherdude"

for 2 saturdays in a row now and there seems to be quite a few out there,

maybe we were just lucky i dont kno... :1prop:

cheers steve

Was told by an old bugger (who sadly is no longer with us) that used to fish my a$$ off, that the 25 fathom mark (approx 50m) was the crossover for tigers and sandys (also where the trawlers work) and as such the place to fish.

That advice hasnt let me down yet......... for our southern lads, out the front of Botany doesnt fish as well as south of Port Hacking (how far you ask...... as far as comfy for you!!!!) We normally end up somewhere off Stanwell.... fish are generally in the 40-60cm range (we toss back anything over 50... they dont eat as well)

We usually are back by midday with a full bag. Skinning and filleting is usually good for 3 beers at Yowie bay ramp!!!!

Hopefully going to give Broken Bay Wide a go this weekend and give the 50-60 mark a go. Haven't ventured that way before and am going to try new avenues this year. Will let you know how I went.

MIight be out that way as well.. but not 100% sure yet as I like to make the decision on the Friday before hand.

Will probably start my drifts out near esmarelda.. then head towards terrigal for an explore.

Guest Big-Banana

The same mate. I used to frequently get a feed and left them biting on most occasion. 60m was where I landed my biggest at 87cm wide of Terrigal. But I tend to find the most consistant spot is about 57-60 meters directly east of Barrenjoey.