$400 Combo

hatheadheaven

G'day Raiders,

Wading into the vast pool of Fishraider knowledge.......

Am looking at a slightly heavier spin stick combo that could tackle the kings. Been outgunned a couple of times on the lighter outfits - the novelty wears off after a while :ranting2: Got a boat rod that handles the kings, but isn't a flick rod, and as I mainly flick sluggos, need something a bit more flexible.

Am thinking a Shimano Snapper Raider 7'6" 5-8kg mated to a Daiwa Capricorn 4000 series. Would spool up with some Fireline and I think it would be a great combo for around $400.

So, am I heading in the right direction? Can anyone think of a better combo for the money?

Also, given the reel is rated to 5kg and the rod 5-8kg - what would you recommend as the heaviest braid I could safely use on it? Is it 5kg? Or can I go to 15 or 20lb safely? :unsure:

Cheers in advance :thumbup:

Simon

Edited by hatheadheaven

Guest danielinbyron

Personaly i would look at buying a Baitrunner either 4500 or 6500 and put on a Wilson Live Fibre 8-15kg, it will cost around $380

my word.. much more flexible combo...tho i'm starting to lean away from wilson live fibres...they don't use fugi runners they have no personality and they have to be transported like babies... ie they're strong when loaded up with fish but don't drop anything on one or have it move and get vibrated on in transit... i like the look of the t curves .. we've been using kmart penn 15kg sticks at $67... and live fibres for our overheads..we've got two live fibre spinning rods .. well one left now... they did say they'd replace it but.

Hmmm... interesting. I have a live fibre 10ft spin stick that I use for LBG and found it to be excellent. One qualification though - first time I used it, it snapped in half! Was offered a replacement immediately, so couldn't complain. Not sure of the transit issue, as it has made numerous trips to hat head poking out the car, and been walked 2km out to the point through bush, with plenty of accidental stabs into trees/ground along the way. Haven't had a problem with the new one at all - very happy with it.

Regarding the Penn stick - what does it feel like? I want a stick that performs AND feels good to use. Never used a Penn so guess I shouldn't comment, but am yet to see a nice looking/good feeling rod at Kmart......

My 2 cents worth or $400 to be precise:

Nitro Distance spin 4-8kg - $270

Shimano Symetre 4000 (15.5lbs of drag)- $130

Braid - beg for some - 20lb xds.

I would suck the extra $100 and go a Stradic 4000 (18lbs of drag) myself.

:1fishing1:

My 2 cents worth or $400 to be precise:

Nitro Distance spin 4-8kg - $270

Shimano Symetre 4000 (15.5lbs of drag)- $130

Braid - beg for some - 20lb xds.

I would suck the extra $100 and go a Stradic 4000 (18lbs of drag) myself.

top gear! although I would recomend the Magnum Butt Nitro for heavier work (i have one and love it, but still get reefed by good fish on occasion)

I use a Dawia Theory 4000, a lot more line capacity then the Symetre (i wanted to use it for Tuna spinning also) but i rate the symetre a bit higher in the a) HSS stakes and B) smoothness of drag.

The Nitro Mahnum though is an awsome rod, and perfect length for boat or some light spin work off the stones at 7'6"

Chris

Held a Nitro Viper 6-8kg 7'6" and it felt awesome, but at $300, a bit out of my range. Maybe I could convert an existing baitrunner to braid, then it would be within reach :thumbup:

What's the diff between the Viper and the Distance Magnum butt (apart form the Distance being $30 cheaper)? Is the magnum a bit stronger in the butt? Viper felt pretty strong......

Cheers

Simon

Held a Nitro Viper 6-8kg 7'6" and it felt awesome, but at $300, a bit out of my range. Maybe I could convert an existing baitrunner to braid, then it would be within reach :thumbup:

What's the diff between the Viper and the Distance Magnum butt (apart form the Distance being $30 cheaper)? Is the magnum a bit stronger in the butt? Viper felt pretty strong......

Cheers

Simon

yeah the magnum is heavier in the butt section than the standard Distance Spin. but you have sparked my interest i havent heard about the viper! :1prop: another rod i looked at was the Dawia Coastal Tournament, but these are a bit lighter again.

cheers

Chris

yeah the magnum is heavier in the butt section than the standard Distance Spin. but you have sparked my interest i havent heard about the viper! :1prop: another rod i looked at was the Dawia Coastal Tournament, but these are a bit lighter again.

cheers

Chris

My mate has the Coastal Tourny and is very happy with it - handled the kings and only cost him about $180 from memory. Good rod for a flick too. Was thinking of getting one but would cause too much confusion on the boat if we both had one :1prop:

Will have to compare the Viper vs. Distance Magnum for strength and chuckability - might head down to compleat angler later...

If you go down the Nitro avenue I wouldn't bother weighing it down with a reel like a Baitrunner. These reels are perfect for freelining livebaits and some static work but not for that rod.

3500 Baitrunner 4.7.1 gear ratio - 9lbs of drag and weighs 22oz - $180

4000 Symetre 5.7.1 gear ratio - 15.5lbs of drag and weighs 13oz - $130

The nitro range are pretty light rods and designed to be used all day long, the difference in line capacity is a mere 40m on 8kg line and there is no way that a baitrunner is going to balance on a light rod like that. An average lure angler will chuck about 50-60 casts an hour so I reckon you have a pretty heavy arm after a days fishing. Go as light on the reel as you can and get one with a fairly quick retrieve - easier to turn a handle slower than to go faster.

That's just my opinion but at the end of the day you have to go what you feel is right.

I'm sure you will get a good outfit for $400 but be carefull there are some varied prices out there.

The nitro range are pretty light rods and designed to be used all day long, the difference in line capacity is a mere 40m on 8kg line and there is no way that a baitrunner is going to balance on a light rod like that.

Spot on matthead :thumbup: Here was I thinking about feel etc and totally ignoring the balance :insane: I rave about my current flick sticks having great balance.......

Got a Symetre 2500 which I am quite happy with, but would be a bit small for the nitro/magnum etc. Perhaps a new reel is needed after all. Oh well, it's only money :05:

Edited by hatheadheaven

Spot on matthead :thumbup: Here was I thinking about feel etc and totally ignoring the balance :insane: I rave about my current flick sticks having great balance.......

Got a Symetre 2500 which I am quite happy with, but would be a bit small for the nitro/magnum etc. Perhaps a new reel is needed after all. Oh well, it's only money :05:

I have used my 2500 Symetre on the Nitro Magnumm Butt and it feels great for small pelagics, but a big king would certainly do some damage to the drag i reckon.

oh yeah and agree, no need for a baitrunner on such an outfit

try kymegah (spelling) bait shop for a better deal on Nitros, I was told recently thay had a good range at very realistic prices

Symetre 4000 you should get for around $159.00

Edited by the_lure

I'm quite impressed that a $130 reel can put up 15.5 lbs of drag!!!! I don't know how long it would last but I would definately being using 17lb - xds (this will break at about 30lb) cos you won't get much on the reel if you use a True Braid. That's a cool outfit and one you can use all day!!!!

I'm quite impressed that a $130 reel can put up 15.5 lbs of drag!!!! I don't know how long it would last but I would definately being using 17lb - xds (this will break at about 30lb) cos you won't get much on the reel if you use a True Braid. That's a cool outfit and one you can use all day!!!!

I have had my 2500 symetre locaked up with 10lb FINNS on small kings and it still works a treat after a few such tussles! great reels

I fish my Nitro with 10lb fused on one spool (300m Braid, about 120m of 6kg mono underneath) and 14lb fused on the other, holds around 300m. (Thats the Daiwa Theory, Shimano reels seem to hold considerably less)