Mercury Optimax Engine - What Oil Can I Use?

Brown Hornet

All,

I have a new Mercury Optimax 135HP motor. I need to get some more oil in the tank.

I have finished the first 10 hours and am now on normal mixing.

the question is..

Can i use any quality 2 stroke outboard oil?

I have searched the Mercury website and they only talk about the Mercury owned Quicksilver oil specially designed for Direct Injected Motors..

Problem .. this costs a bomb.

What grade of Oil does anyone use?

Where does everyone buy there oil?

cheers

I have a 2006 150 hp opti and I will only use merc oil, if something goes wrong problem belong to mercury, your investment is too much to play around with! as for oil use mine uses bugger all oil. dredded eel are you running a optimax motor?cheers track

All,

I have a new Mercury Optimax 135HP motor. I need to get some more oil in the tank.

I have finished the first 10 hours and am now on normal mixing.

the question is..

Can i use any quality 2 stroke outboard oil?

I have searched the Mercury website and they only talk about the Mercury owned Quicksilver oil specially designed for Direct Injected Motors..

Problem .. this costs a bomb.

What grade of Oil does anyone use?

Where does everyone buy there oil?

cheers

Hello Hornet,

I have exactly the same motor. 340 trouble free hours on it so far, the best outboard I've ever owned. There's been only one problem, the alternator went at 300 hours. I would strongly advise you to use Optimax oil. Buy in the big 10L container and phone around for the best price. Also, never use fuel containing ethanol. Don't worry about the cost of Opti oil because you'll be saving so much on fuel. The 135 uses 40-50% of my previous motor, a Yamaha 175HP. Good luck with it, A