Yamaha Carb Vs Johnson Efi

mr_grumble2003

Hey guys, Im narrowing it down SLOOOOOWLY

For the same $$ what would be the more favourable and why ?

Johnson 40HP, 4-stroke fuel injected

or

Yamaha 40HP, 3-Carby

Seems a little one sided to me but I'm being quoted more for the Yamaha than the Johnson and was not sure whether there was in fact a reason for this.

As per usual ill stick my 2 cents in :1prop:

Having just aquired a 60hp 4st efi Johno I can say they are a very nice motor. Smooth and very quiet.

The Johno will be heavier maybe weighing about 110kg so make sure your transom can take it if you go that way.

Id go an efi any day over a carb engine.

Edited by Grantm

Mate there is nothing better than EFI for a slow troll. The precise amount of fuel being injected which is totally computer controlled, beats the hell out of an overfuelled, poorly metered carby engine at low speed.

Carby engines are a thing of the past, as is ignition points and premix fuel.

How many carby engine cars do you see these days ? Would you buy a carby fueled Commodore or Falcon ? Food for thought.

Just to be contrary:

Personally I don't mind having a computer on my office desk, but I sure as hell wouldn't take one to sea with me.

To add context, I do a lot of remote area travel, and have the tools and experience to fix most mechanical problems. I have rebuilt carburettors many times and it ain't that hard. EFI? Good luck. I can also tune carbs to work the way I want them: top end, bottom end, cold weather, hot weather or whatever. EFI, of course, does this automatically when it's working properly and the bloody oxygen sensor isn't dirty (again...).

Being a luddite leaves me out from a lot of modern machinery, but I can synchronise the carbs on my road vehicle in 10 minutes, which is longer than it takes me to set the tappets. The modern complicated stuff I'd rather leave to those with huge wads of cash to pay someone else to do all their work for them. I can live with the lower performance.

Later from Dr pig

Gday Warpig,

Yep id say that is a perfectly logical comment. It all comes down to personall preference and what your comfortable with. I agree that if i were out in the bush id have a much better chance of fixing a carb motor and something with basic electronics. I suppose the thing is when buying new and investing several thousand dollars on an engine you look for upgraded technology simply to reduce the chance of actually having a breakdown at all and having a much better performance.

Its just a personel thing. I couldnt wait to get my hands on an ETEC when they came out while many people were still saying "its all too new". Its just me i suppose.

Yep: I agree with that. The new gear certainly seems to break down a lot less often, and also requires a lot less maintenance. I'm flat out trying to keep up with my outboard, motorbike and 4WD, all with simple, older generation technology. But I'll still stick with it, because I CAN fix it.

Eventually...

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I can say that if your boat can handle the power, go the four-stroke Suzuki, i did :thumbup:

I found it as being the smoothest engine that i ran, and most definately the quietest. The engine has data recording which means that you know exactly evry movement that it has ever performed. :yahoo: Great when letting freinds borrow the boat, or between service intervals.

The engine is zippy and yet still provides an awsome top end grunt. It has a large capacity and double overhead cam with a very efficient and servicable injection system, no plastic rubbish.

I love mine and that's the reason i wish to talk so highly of it !!!

If it were a woman, i'd marry it :biggrin2:

The choice is for you to make, just ask as many questions as possible try to expose yourself to as much info as possible. Word of mouth sometimes just aint enough.

Anglermanagment.

Hello,

I can say that if your boat can handle the power, go the four-stroke Suzuki, i did :thumbup:

Interestingly enough the Johnson EFI motor is actually just a rebadged Suzuki anyway. Your right, good motor.