Port Stephens

choteo

Hello All,

I’d been planning this trip for weeks and the departure could not come quick enough….

It was Friday, 17 March 06 and 16:00 finally came around. We set course to Port Stephens from Sydney to what would be a great fishing weekend and quality time with my dad. The plan was to sleep on the boat (trailer boat), get an early start and hunt for some big Reds and work the surface out wide for some monster palegics ….

That evening we set camp (trailer/boat & Car) on the boat ramp carpark and soon had a neighbour who had pretty much cloned my plan. He too was camping with his young son. We became mates over dinner and soon started talking about the one that got away…

04:45am, we’re up. The boats are in the water and our course is outer Broughton Island…. It’s pitch dark out of Port Stephens and bumpy, but I new it would get better once we passed the Islands out the front. Indeed it was, though several times we were airborne... WooHooo…!!! through the swell.

Bait onboard; fresh squid, prawns, pilchards, skirt steak and live Slimy Mackerel.

Lures onboard: Skirts and diving minnow lures…

1st sees us fish the bottom 40 – 50m deep for one Sargent Baker. No Reds…..

For the next 3 hours we move to 3 different hot spots for a further little Flattie. No luck. Plenty of slimies… (caca). Next we decided to fish surface. Outriggers go up and a spread of 4 lines go out for one little Dolly.

We covered 92.4km of water for 3 fish, what a disappointment…. Either I’m doing something wrong or where has the fish gone? I just want to hook an 80 – 90 kg Marlin, take some pic, give it a big kiss and send him/her on their way…. Oh well that’s fishing…. still top stuff, I’ll be back for more….

There is a big fishing event coming-up the weekend before Easter at Port Stephens. They’re expecting 600 trailer boats from all over the place… I think I’ll be there…. (Maybe I can learn something….)

Interested have a look at www.tbft.com.au

Summary, 484km on the road, 92.4km on the water for 3 fish…. how embarrassing. My wife wants to band me from fishing. I think I’ll goto the fish market before going home next time if this happens again….Oh well, I love it and will be doing it again….

Regards,

Choteo

post-266-1142814107_thumb.jpg

Hi Cheto,

Mate that's a lot of km's for 3 fish.

Please tell me you didn't try to eat that baker did you!!???? :badair:

Never mind mate, better luck next time. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Is the Baker not good eating?

Dad is convinced with potatoes, spices, in a stew, combined with seafood (the good old woggy way) it would make good....

Should I call him and advise to feed it to the cat???

Choteo. Tks for the report , I think.

Heading to PS Wednesday week (29th) for 4 days. Weather permitting we will head for the islands directly off the heads we normally do Ok but after reading your report ????

I'v been hearing a few positive reports on Fingle Bay , in particular the northern headland

Then again , there is always plan B :beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

Geoff

A mate pulled 11 snaper off the rocks INSIDE the bay - nuts. I usually fish of the inside of Tomaree head as it is easily accesible and there are always good tailor on sunrise/sunset, blackfish and good bream after dark. The keen beans walk the bush trail around tomaree to the ocean side. I am told there are usualy heaos of yellowtail an garfish for lives hanging around the ledge and you get great kings and cobia and in the old days YFT.

One day I will give it a go.

Soanker

I also went to Port on the weekend.

We where out both Sat and Sun,

We trolled from cabage tree island to broughton for a good mahi mahi 70cm.

Coming into broughton island we came across a school of bonito for a triple hookup.

Then trolled round to North rock where we came upon a school of kingies

we landed 6 kings, 2 undersize 58-59 cm and 4 keepers 62, 65, 65 & 70cm doing figure eights around the school, there where a lot of garfish in the water

We continued to trawl for a few bonito but nothing else. We tried a small reef for a whole lot of sweep and reef uglies..

Saw some guys at eh fish cleaning station who had landed 4 monter reds... but they where very tight lipped.

Sunday we where at it again only for a few bonito,

One of my mates fathers friend landed a 180kg marlin just next to cabbage tree island last weekend.

G`day Fellas ,

There`s your problem Mate , Its bad luck to cut the tails from Fish , everybody knows that .

Ya dont see de-tailed flathead for sale in the fish Markets do you , no Fella , because they know better.

Mick

I also went to Port on the weekend.

We where out both Sat and Sun,

We trolled from cabage tree island to broughton for a good mahi mahi 70cm.

Coming into broughton island we came across a school of bonito for a triple hookup.

Then trolled round to North rock where we came upon a school of kingies

we landed 6 kings, 2 undersize 58-59 cm and 4 keepers 62, 65, 65 & 70cm doing figure eights around the school, there where a lot of garfish in the water

We continued to trawl for a few bonito but nothing else. We tried a small reef for a whole lot of sweep and reef uglies..

Saw some guys at eh fish cleaning station who had landed 4 monter reds... but they where very tight lipped.

Sunday we where at it again only for a few bonito,

One of my mates fathers friend landed a 180kg marlin just next to cabbage tree island last weekend.

Sounds like you did alright. I guess luck wasn’t on my side. Port Stephens is great place and I will be back there again…. This time I’ll be heading straight to Marlin Reef (North/East from Broughton), see if I can hook a submarines (big black Marlin)…..

Regards,

Choteo

Geoff...

what do you normally hook into around those islands?

went there a couple months ago with sea jay and had a peek outside on a rather rough day,

didnt kno wtf we were doing so went to a few marked positions off the net until the weather got real bad for a few little flatties

Chris Of the 3 islands have only fished the one directly East of the heads ( cannot recall the name).

Normally done OK & had no reason to burn fuel to see what the others produced.

Our best sucess was close in on the eastern side & with the correct wind a S/E drift off the S/E corner, need to pick your day , no good in a N/E.

The northern end & western side look promising but not much sucess.

The catch , varies , no monsters , Reddies , Mowong , a few flatties & the normal aray of rock rubbish.

Like the others , Tomaree can have it's good days & in a southerly the northern side of the Fingle bay headland

Geoff

Chris Of the 3 islands have only fished the one directly East of the heads ( cannot recall the name).

Normally done OK & had no reason to burn fuel to see what the others produced.

Our best sucess was close in on the eastern side & with the correct wind a S/E drift off the S/E corner, need to pick your day , no good in a N/E.

The northern end & western side look promising but not much sucess.

The catch , varies , no monsters , Reddies , Mowong , a few flatties & the normal aray of rock rubbish.

Like the others , Tomaree can have it's good days & in a southerly the northern side of the Fingle bay headland

Geoff

......around here somewhere??,......this is how I keep up with your reports :biggrin2:

......around here somewhere??,......this is how I keep up with your reports :biggrin2:

Clutch It's the "horseshoe" shape island. Cannot make out the name , appears to start with a B.

Any chance of a clearer picture of the lowar LH square , ie the square with the islands & Pt Stephens entrance , down to Fingle bay

Geoff

i this close enough? :biggrin2:

or this may be a better perspective

its a funny name Boondelbah Is

mmmm.... Also some very funny current patterns in that area. You can almost feel the motor coming of the stern…. Can be very dangerous at times. If you suffer from seasickness, I strongly don’t recommend it…. It’s like being in a monster washingmachine.

It’s a dark, deep, spooky area….. mmmm…..

Hi Guys,

I was reading your reports with some interest. I spent 24 years living at Fingal Bay and many fantastic fishing memories are etched into my bones. I have fished for everything from Slimey Mackeral at the Local Co-op to 1000kg Mako's outside there.

I read with interest about the keen blokes who walk over the bush track at Tomaree, as a teenager we slept on the rocks on the other side of Tomarree Headland most weekends of the year chasing Northern Bluefin. We knew the track well enough to walk over there at night with no torch.

I am not going to post specific spot info on the net, but if you are heading up there again sent me a PM and I will gladly share some local knowledge with you.

Port Stephens has some awesome fishing to offer but like anywere it takes time to work it out.

Burnsy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, great area for everything fishing......... water temp , & lure choice are just two elements that go into

making a success of the day. Now North/ East of Broughton island is getting warm . I 've actually seen

a marlin clear the water on the corner of the horse shoe at Boondelbah island , in late June !