Sydney Fishing

netic

Went out to see if i can get some kings on saturday but found it hard going to find some squid, decided to give the fad a go for some dollies.

Got to the fad in some pretty swelly conditions and threw some lures out, landed 14 dollies before i got a little sea sick so headed back. Sizes were 40cm to 78cm.

Went out to see if i can get some kings on saturday but found it hard going to find some squid, decided to give the fad a go for some dollies.

Got to the fad in some pretty swelly conditions and threw some lures out, landed 14 dollies before i got a little sea sick so headed back. Sizes were 40cm to 78cm.

Congratulation on the 14 Dollies…. Your keen going outside on Saturday. Was there many boats out there?

Some people rate Dollies as a superb eating fish, personally I don’t think there nathin special. Mind you I have only ever cooked it crummed / pan fried.

How do you find them?

Regards,

Choteo

ahhn neyic u must be brave,

haha i tried gettin out the heads on sat just in frnt of the bay nd we turned around the conditions wer quite horrid,

i can see y u felt a lil quezzy,

nevermind u carved up mate awesome catch,

nice pic too.. ive never caught me self a dollie but im keen to get out there nd give em a crack..

if u dont mind be asking wat did u use to catch them? trolling? lure skirts? bait?

well done again

cheers steve :1fishing1:

Great work Netic - and good on you for getting out there in the rough weather!

Dollies are, as I understand it, and extremely fast growing fish and as such an excellent resource for Sydney's sportfishery. Given the size of the fellas in the pic you took I'd say they wouldn't be much more than a year or two old and thus it's not as though keeping them will cause any damage at all to the population. They're a plentiful fish that we can all take a good bag of without any twinges of conscience whatsoever!!

Besides - a legal fish is a legal fish, and you're gonna eat well this week :thumbup:

Great to see a few Raiders getting into some good catches.

Great fish mate, top fun, i'll be postinga report on my exploits at the botany wide fad yesterday!

You can keep 20 if you want, its the law! Anyone who has beef with that can take it up with parliment. These fish double their bodywieght in a matter of weeks and are sexually mature at 6 months, they breed ultra fast and grow ultra fast and are not targeted comercially.

Sorry for the late reply for all the questions guys, been away

I heard from a pretty good source that once a dollie reaches 2kg that it will grow 50 grams heavier per day, so they have a very fast growth rate.

I only went out to the fad on such a rough day because i knew that i would have the fad to myself, (being selfish) On a good day it is hard to get a good position near it. There were a few boats out, saw around 5 larger boats and 3 boats around the 16ft mark. But the swell did kill me, i felt like crap once i started to get sick,

In regards to keeping the fish, Breeze i kept all of them because i can, Dollies are legal at anysize (for the next few months anyway) and i got out there in some pretty crap conditons, and trust me there are plenty of dollies for everyone to get.

Choteo, I dont actually eat fish, cant stand any seafood, i usually give them to family, my mate said that they tasted really good, much better than kings and jews, he also said he feels they are better than dory.

Big Steve, Mate get out their and give them a go, they are a great fish to get, we used live yakkas, no word of a lie the longest a yakka stayed in the water was 2 minutes than it would get hit.

Crystaliser, Mate i have only ever heard of 1 dollie being caught in the harbour and thats problem just fishing myth. They can be found offshore around any floating object, i once saw a peice of wood floating outside, it must of been 10cm by 40cm, i caught 12 dollies from around it.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys