4 Stroke Or 2 / Etec Feedback

how big

Looking at buying a new runabout and need some feedback from everyone about whether 2 stroke or 4 stroke and also feedback on Evinrude ETEC engines as have heard mixed things from dealers concerning reliablity and engine life.

Mate, the only people bagging ETECS are the ones not selling them !

I have owned one and can honestly say they are fantastic. I cant knock its performance at all and if you go with one you wont be dissapointed.

Dont believe the propaganda perpetrated from dealers who dont sell them. Its a sales croc.

They are responsive , fuel effecient and reliable.

Four strokes are a little smoother and quiter but also are more exy to service.

Heres a good spec. Yamaha 4 strokes have 195 parts in the top end of the motor, ETEC have TWO !

Yes, i do like ETECS !

Edited by Grantm

Hi Guys, this is a very hot topic and I get asked it alot at work. Everyone has an opinion, so he is mine, which has many years of experience behind it and personal use with both ETEC and 4-Strokes because we sell both.

Straight up the article that is listed in this topic has been around a while and it the best written, unbiased report so far I have read and I say to anybody thinking about this decision that both technologies are good and you would be pleased with any 4-Stroke on the market, but I personally favour ETEC for the following reasons:-

-ETEC gives you all the economy / quiteness and emissions of a 4-Stroke without any of the "baggage" of a 4-Stroke. By baggage I mean the extra weight / complexity / and relative lack of performance when compared to an ETEC of the same HP.

Also check out www.e-tecinfonet.org which is a great site dedicated to ETEC fact and rumor. Goto the links and read the articles by BRPs own Paul Dawson-they are very informative.

One thing I would do if I was undecided about which way to go would be to price up a complete cylinder head for the 4-Stroke you are looking at. If the engine has a failure out of warranty,which is only THREE years for most 4-Strokes, and if the cylinder head needs to be replaced than it can cost more than what the engine is worth. We are starting to see this with engines in our workshop (and trust me it is not only us) where a 4-Stroke for what ever reason (corrosion to mechanical failure) is needing such a cylinder head replacement to get going again and as I type this the workshop is replacing a cylinder head on a 115HP 4-Stroke that has a cost of approx $7000 plus labour and the engine is only 4 years old. To the manufacturers credit,even though it is technically out of warranty they are going to help him out with some of the cost, BUT trust me if this happened a few more years down the track he would be on his own.

As I said earlier it is not as if I do not sell or have experienced 4-Strokes because I do both, BUT there is no way I personally would put a 4-Stroke on my boat if an ETEC of the same HP was an option.

Sorry for the long post, but these are my thoughts for what it is worth.

Cheers,

Huey.

90hp and 75hp Etecs have been in Australia for over 3 years now and with only minor issues so far.

I have the first 60hp Etec in Australia ... it is 60 hours / 6 months old and I can highly recommend it :thumbup:

BRP are so confident in the technology that they have canceled their deal with Suzuki for 4 stroke motors and will be Etec only from next year.

Speaking from personal experience I have run many OPTIMAX and they are great engines as I am sure the Tohatsu is also-I have not experienced any of these. Comparing the ETEC to OPTIMAX I would still prefer the ETEC than the OPTIMAX mainly for the quietness of the ETEC when compared to the OPTI-especially in the V6 range. The OPTI are really not that quiet when compared to ETEC & 4-Stroke, but Mercury are working on that. I know some of you might say the V6 ETEC are not out here yet (good stock numbers due the end of this month), but I have driven boats with both the V4 and V6 ETEC and trust me they are special engines-they make the other ETEC seem noisey.

Comparing the 3 cylinder OPTI and ETEC is a much harder descision but still slightly in the ETEC favour due to physical size of the OPTI and the THREE year service intervals that the ETEC have-this will save approx $1200 over 3 years. The OPTI is a little better of fuel and depending on the hull, performs slightly better than an ETEC and both are quiet engines-tough choice. The ETEC when programmed for XD100 will use less oil and at present they are cheaper to buy than the OPTI, but the OPTI does get a better gauge package with the smartcraft gauges-very cool.

As with all engines brands the most important factor should be the confidence you have in the dealers abillity to fit up and maintain your outboard engine, because the best engines in the world can give you headaches if the dealer or mechanics do not know what they are doing and unfortunately in this industry that is common.

Hope this helps,

Huey.

Whitto, i'd love a ride in your poly with the etec, i'll be adding a centre console to my poly and hopefully upping to a 60hp motor in the process to replace my current thirsty yammie 50 2/s

Sure thing Sammy,

PM me your mobile number and i'll let you know next time we get out onto the Bay :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Billfisher,

If you want the honest trith regarding your comparisons, look at the number of DI engines sold worldwide and in Australia. And know that since SUZUKI terminated their relationship with BRP, bombardier has listed their BRP company up for sale. I was told via a reputabel BRP dealer which i would rather not say.

8% of engines worldwide are direct injected two strokes, while 6% are sold here in Australia.

I would say, do the right thing and buy Four-stroke !!! They are lower on maitanence, and generally cheaper on initial purchase.

E-tec boast three year non service, but you will not see this written with out the word "schedualed" written.

Would you be happy to buy a used item that has almost no service histrory. They still use piston locating pins that work loose at around 1000-2000hrs. Low pressure fuel system with high pressure injectors @$800 each ! :thumbdown:

Anyone who promotes this product has just been sucked in and exploited by very very very good marketing !!!

After all, you can't put lipstick on a pig !!!

I had a freind buy one recently buy an E-tec 50HP and is not impressed. It's actually heavier than the Suzuki/Johnson Four-stroke.

I have a 50HP Suzuki and belileve that it is the best on the market. I was going towards E-tec, and then rethought my decision just in time.

Study the Suzuki and make your own decision. I'm sure you will not be dissappointed!!!

Anglermanagment,

Edited by anglermanagment

Guest Sea Tow Botany

I think it's a matter of choice, some people like 2 stroke, some like 4 stroke - whatever floats your boat (sorry i couldn't help it)

I do know someone who had a yamaha 90 on a quinnie traded in for a Etec 90 and the Etec ran at a slower speed from the GPS and had less power out of the hole, they put a carbie 90 johno on and was much happier with better performance (their words not mine)

I run twin Suzuki 4 strokes I love em and I work em Towing boats - I couldnt be happier (fuel economy, efficiency etc), but in saying that what suits me may not suit you

Dave

Sea Tow Botany Bay

It is a personal decision, one that I have made recently.

There was ALOT of hype over the ETEC's, all of which I was not convinced was first hand !

For my situation, carrying the wife and kid in the boat, quietness and smoke free were two big factors, so out went the conventional 2 stroke as an option.

I spoke to a few guys down at the local ramp who actually had ETEC's and while they were happy with them, a couple still preferred their other 4 strokes, one even regreted getting rid of his yammy 2 stroke for the ETEC, not too sure about the amount of alcohol consumption the nite before with this particular guy :wacko:

The 'no service for 300hrs' I don't particularly like, I know its a money saver (and it ought to be after the initial purchase price) but I'd preffer a more schedulede maintenance plan than that. Sh1t happens with all engines, ETEC or not and the thought of running with no maintence just sends shivvers up my spine.

I ended up going for a new Merc 50HP 4 stroke. Its super quiet, can comfortably have a convo with the wife at 3500 rpm and smoke, what smoke !

Its no rocket ship, it is heavy (110kg from memory) but goes like the preverbial on my 4.35 runnabout and uses bugger all fuel in doing so.

All in all, Im very happy with my purchase, I wouldn't say Don't go for an ETEC, just not convinced the're the best thing sinced sliced bread :beersmile:

Edited by mr_grumble

I would say, do the right thing and buy Four-stroke !!! They are lower on maitanence, and generally cheaper on initial purchase.

E-tec boast three year non service, but you will not see this written with out the word "schedualed" written.

Would you be happy to buy a used item that has almost no service histrory. They still use piston locating pins that work loose at around 1000-2000hrs. Low pressure fuel system with high pressure injectors @$800 each ! :thumbdown:

Anyone who promotes this product has just been sucked in and exploited by very very very good marketing !!!

After all, you can't put lipstick on a pig !!!

I had a freind buy one recently buy an E-tec 50HP and is not impressed. It's actually heavier than the Suzuki/Johnson Four-stroke.

I have a 50HP Suzuki and belileve that it is the best on the market. I was going towards E-tec, and then rethought my decision just in time.

Study the Suzuki and make your own decision. I'm sure you will not be dissappointed!!!

Anglermanagment,

Hmmm,

A brave man to rubbish such a good product !

Having owned both ETEC and 4stroke Johnson ( Suzuki ) in the 50 - 60 HP range I can make a reasonably good comparison. I am not biased towards any particular brand as ive had em all and worked on most. If a product is good then its good, and this whole BRP sale thing is really old news and not relevant.

I think it may be a good idea to comment on some of your statements though.

Explain to me how a 4 stroke engine is cheaper to service than a 2 stroke which has no scheduled service for three years, in fact any two stroke. 4 strokes require oil and filters at least once a year just for starters, not to mention valve clearances, timing adjustments etc etc. There are litterally hundreds of moving parts in a four stroke top end compared to only a couple in a two stroke.

The no scheduled service is not a gimmick, its a fact. Yes it probably is a good idea to do a water pump and a fuel filter within this time but no more regularly than a four stroke. There is just nothing to do ! edit- Service 'schedule' is refered to by ALL manufacturers and refers to what the manufacturers has specifed the service requirement is. It is not a marketing trick it is a specific procedure which must be followed.

Piston pins working loose ? Does a service schedule cover that ?

I would say the reason the yanks are so low on the two stroke use is because of emmision laws. This is what the ETEC is countering as is now Yamaha and even Tohatsu with its current design and yes it will take a while for it to take off in big numbers. The yanks love their 4 strokes. I cretainly wasnt sucked in by the marketing, I just did my homework and was unable to fault the performance.

Your Suzuki 4 stroke also has fuel injectors which would cost the same money to replace but this is highly unlikely on either product. A cylinder head on a 4 st would cost several thousand to replace if that failed.

Check the specs, ETEC 50HP 109kg - Johnson and Suzuki 50 hp 109 kg, Go up to 60 hp ETEC are still 109 kg and Johnson/Suzi jump to a whopping 159kg !

Dont get me wrong, Suzuki make a great motor and I currently own a 4st Johno, and although a 2stroke is not for everyone its a bit unfair to knock it on the basis you have.

Of course i dont expect everyone to rave about them its not going to happen as everyone has different opinion I just think the reasons given are not really acurate.

I would check the initial price as well. Last time i checked the ETEC 50 was about a grand cheaper but of course this can very depending on the dealer.

After studying the technical articals written on these motors by independants and the manufacturer, it is hard to see how anyone can bag them as opposed to just not prefering them. The technology is way ahead and you will find that in the future all 2 strokes will go this way.

Not trying to have a go Angler or cause a drama, just making a point. Like you say anyone who buys a Suzi 4 stroke WILL NOT be dissapointed anyway. :thumbup:

Edited by Grantm

Hi Guys, very interesting facts put up by some on this post. Straight up I am a fan of ETEC and I have the opportunity to sell both ETEC and 4-Strokes, so I think I can give an educated opinion on a few things.

-As for the BRP and Suzuki agreement, it was actually BRP who has chosen to not extend the 4-Stroke agreement. They are focussing on ETEC solely. I personally would prefer the option of being able to sell both but it is a decision that they have made and time will tell.

-BRP are NOT up for sale, in the not too distant future, they are going to be listed as a public company in the states and that can only mean good things as more moeny for development of products in all the categories that they have product and they will be answerable to the stockholders.

-To claim a 4-Stroke is less lower on maitanence-I just do not understand and is plain wrong. Over the warranty years there will 4 oil and filter changes by the book as well as water pump impeller inspections. Further down the track you will need to check value clearances and replace timing belts etc.

-This leads to the so called marketting hype about 3 year or 300 hour service intervals. Let me educate few of you, what BRP are claiming is that in normal operation an ETEC is quite happy to go three years or 300 hours without a dealer needing to look a the engine. That said, the people we sell them to, we inform that it is a good idea to remove props every 6 months and check for fishing line (should be done on a 4-Stroke also), flush the engine after use(again should be done on 4-Stroke) and visually check the engine from time to time (again a good idea on any outboard). Trust me we make more money in servicing a 4-Stroke we may sell than an ETEC, but we still favour the ETEC. If you are worried, than no one is saying you can not get the engine serviced every year.

-Weight of say the 50HP ETEC and 50HP Johnson/Suzuki is in fact in favour of the 4-Stroke by 1KG but that can be put down to the size and strength of the gearbox. The ETC run the commercail grade 70HP G/box while the Johnson has a tiny G/box when compared to the ETEC. I know which one I would prefer.

-Another point made was that at 1000-2000 the piston pin will dislodge from a two stock. What a load of BS, what about all the 30 year old two strokes still running around happily. Is it that at somewhere between these hours, which is a huge gap, all 2-Strokes are going to fail-I do not think so and I have been around outboards for over 30 years.

-The cost of the ETEC injector is $530- that is what we would sell them for if the injector failed out of warranty. Yes an injector of a 4-Stroke is cheaper at $200, but I personally would much rather have the repair bill on a 10 year old ETEC that say leaned out on one cylinder than the cost of replaceing a cylinder head and block on a 4-Stroke that happened to break a timing belt at 5000RPM. Anybody with mechanical experience would know the mess that would make and trust me the cost of doing this repair would cost more than a complete new engine.

-The example of the 90HP ETEC and Yamaha is one I have heard B4 and I actually convinced the guy that to get better performance he would have to switch to the 90HP Johnson, because that is the only 90HP that is a V4 and has the cubic capacity of 1800cc vs the ETEC at 1300cc. Again anyone with mechanical expericence will know that a 1800cc engine will perform better than a 1300cc 3 cylinder- this is a silly comparision and not valid.

-As many people have said and I am sure many more who do not come on these forums would say, that they are happy with their 4-Stroke and yes I think they are good engines, but as I have calimed before I personaly know that they do not perform as well as ETEC when comparing the same HP to HP and at the same boat speed, they give very similar fuel economy and emissions-both 3 star, BUT this is the clincher for me and it is starting to happen, the repair bills on an ETEC vs a 4-Stroke that has a major failure out of warranty is much, much less.

Sorry for the long post and I am sure not everyone here will agree with me, but that is what is great about Australia, everyone has an opinion and if you want to buy a 4-Stroke, go ahead and buy one, but I hope you never have to replace cylinder heads or other expensive replacements out of warranty.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Guys, very interesting facts put up by some on this post. Straight up I am a fan of ETEC and I have the opportunity to sell both ETEC and 4-Strokes, so I think I can give an educated opinion on a few things.

-As for the BRP and Suzuki agreement, it was actually BRP who has chosen to not extend the 4-Stroke agreement. They are focussing on ETEC solely. I personally would prefer the option of being able to sell both but it is a decision that they have made and time will tell.

-BRP are NOT up for sale, in the not too distant future, they are going to be listed as a public company in the states and that can only mean good things as more moeny for development of products in all the categories that they have product and they will be answerable to the stockholders.

-To claim a 4-Stroke is less lower on maitanence-I just do not understand and is plain wrong. Over the warranty years there will 4 oil and filter changes by the book as well as water pump impeller inspections. Further down the track you will need to check value clearances and replace timing belts etc.

-This leads to the so called marketting hype about 3 year or 300 hour service intervals. Let me educate few of you, what BRP are claiming is that in normal operation an ETEC is quite happy to go three years or 300 hours without a dealer needing to look a the engine. That said, the people we sell them to, we inform that it is a good idea to remove props every 6 months and check for fishing line (should be done on a 4-Stroke also), flush the engine after use(again should be done on 4-Stroke) and visually check the engine from time to time (again a good idea on any outboard). Trust me we make more money in servicing a 4-Stroke we may sell than an ETEC, but we still favour the ETEC. If you are worried, than no one is saying you can not get the engine serviced every year.

-Weight of say the 50HP ETEC and 50HP Johnson/Suzuki is in fact in favour of the 4-Stroke by 1KG but that can be put down to the size and strength of the gearbox. The ETC run the commercail grade 70HP G/box while the Johnson has a tiny G/box when compared to the ETEC. I know which one I would prefer.

-Another point made was that at 1000-2000 the piston pin will dislodge from a two stock. What a load of BS, what about all the 30 year old two strokes still running around happily. Is it that at somewhere between these hours, which is a huge gap, all 2-Strokes are going to fail-I do not think so and I have been around outboards for over 30 years.

-The cost of the ETEC injector is $530- that is what we would sell them for if the injector failed out of warranty. Yes an injector of a 4-Stroke is cheaper at $200, but I personally would much rather have the repair bill on a 10 year old ETEC that say leaned out on one cylinder than the cost of replaceing a cylinder head and block on a 4-Stroke that happened to break a timing belt at 5000RPM. Anybody with mechanical experience would know the mess that would make and trust me the cost of doing this repair would cost more than a complete new engine.

-The example of the 90HP ETEC and Yamaha is one I have heard B4 and I actually convinced the guy that to get better performance he would have to switch to the 90HP Johnson, because that is the only 90HP that is a V4 and has the cubic capacity of 1800cc vs the ETEC at 1300cc. Again anyone with mechanical expericence will know that a 1800cc engine will perform better than a 1300cc 3 cylinder- this is a silly comparision and not valid.

-As many people have said and I am sure many more who do not come on these forums would say, that they are happy with their 4-Stroke and yes I think they are good engines, but as I have calimed before I personaly know that they do not perform as well as ETEC when comparing the same HP to HP and at the same boat speed, they give very similar fuel economy and emissions-both 3 star, BUT this is the clincher for me and it is starting to happen, the repair bills on an ETEC vs a 4-Stroke that has a major failure out of warranty is much, much less.

Sorry for the long post and I am sure not everyone here will agree with me, but that is what is great about Australia, everyone has an opinion and if you want to buy a 4-Stroke, go ahead and buy one, but I hope you never have to replace cylinder heads or other expensive replacements out of warranty.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey everyone,

I would generally agree with what is said about Four strokes and replacing timing belts, but the Suzuki does not ave a timing belt sytem ! It usues the exact timing chain system that is used on all GSXR motorcycles, and is set for life. It uses a Hydraulic tensioner that is self adjusting and therefore reduces noise, as it's fully submerged in oil. All you need to do during a service is replace a filter at $6.80 and 2.2Ltrs of mineral engine oil @ $5.75p/ltr.

I can assure you that there are no tappet adjustments, as there are no tappets! It runs a shim and bucket set up as found on almost all current japanese motor cars and motorcycles. There is no radio intereferance ceated by the Suzuki as it uses the latest ignition system, being that where the ingnition coil is built directly into the spark plug caps which simplifies the wiring system.

It usues a full stainless and very servicable waterpump housing, which is suprisingly very cheap at around $65.00.

Cylinder head faluire, never heard of !!! When was the last time you heard about a Japanese motor car requiring a clyinderhead replacement. OH, and they are a clearance engine! So if something did fail, there would be no damage anyway.

Not being too picky, but i do love my little baby. As i have said before, i would marry it if i could :biggrin2:

I bought my Suzuki for just under $7000.00 fitted without any trade in. It was fitted to a polycraft 410 sideconsole.

Huey is correct with the comment about capacity and i agree.

Remember that Johnson/Suzuki is three cylinder 814cc verses the E-tec Two cylinder 863cc which utilizes an exhaust powervalve to assist with developing horsepower. Three cylinder is again what produces torque.

Eitherway, i'm sure whatever you buy you won't regret it. :thumbup:

All outboards these days are good and deserve their place in the market.

I just love my baby and did my research :thumbup:

Anglermanagment.

Hey mate,

Dont need to defend the Suzi we all know they are good. Your last statement is the acurate one though when you said " ALL new outboards are good these days and deserve thier place in the market "

Just to split some hairs though cause i cant help myself :1prop: , ALL bucket and shim engines need adjustment at some stage. It is a matter of checking the valve clearance and fitting the appropriate thickness shim. You buy shims buy the box and they come in various thicknesses. As the valve pulls into the seat over time this clearance reduces and you have to sometimes change shims. No one said they had tappets.

As for jap heads not failing on cars ! Your kidding right. Nissan 6 cylinder ( vl comm and skyline ) cracks right along the cam journal. 4 cyl Isuzu valve guides failing. v6 Holden Jackeroo cam belt tensioner failure and lifter failure. The list goes on.

You listed the price on the oil and filter and nothing else. Based on that a two stroke would cost $0 to service. You will never convince me a 4 st is cheaper to service than a two anyway.

Mate your obviously passionate about you Suzi motor and I think that is great but I dont think they are the be all and end all. Its a good idea to remain open minded to all types of engines and technologies and appreciate there are some other great motors out their.

At the end of the day none of this means the ETEC's are rubbish and have become very popular with those who have actually owned one in most circumstances.

Like you say as long as your happy with what youve got thats the main thing. Anyhoo its been fun shooting the breeze on this I love engine topics ! :thumbup:

Hi Angler, yes it sounds like you have done your homework, but unfortunately some things you mentioned are still incorrect-although I do not want to get into an arguement because I am happy you are happy with your outboard and as I say to customers if I had to buy a four stroke the Johnson/Suzuki would be my choice. I agree with your statements about the timing chain and the head design, but the other brands do not have this. I also agree that a chain is superior to a belt but a chain can and do break because they are a moving part and the cylinder head of a 4-Stroke is a more complicated piece of equipment than a 2-Stroke, with more moving parts to fail. Do not forget I have seen cylinders heads corrode as well as have a mechanical failure-either way an expensive propostition. The Japanese outboards do not have the greatest reputation for salt water corrosion-that is why some brands actually fit anodes inside the engine block as well as the outside. The fact is you do not see alot of old Jap engines compared to US made ones-go to a ramp on a busy Sunday and see for yourself.

Your prices on parts and inital buy price are good, but did you get a SST prop for the price-if not we are not really comparing apples to apples.

On your ETEC claims, I have heard about this radio interference with 27 meg, BUT we have fitted about 50 ETEC engines now and most have had a radio and no one has complained-I guess we are just lucky. Anyway fit a VHF, which works much better than a 27 meg and you do not have a problem. The exhaust valve statement is partially correct also-it is only the 60HP ETEC that has this feature and trust me it does give that engine great mid range punch. In my experiences of selling both ETEC and Johnson 4-Strokes a 50HP ETEC will outperform a 50HP 4-Stroke Johnson when both on the same boat and both set-up correctly.

I think I will leave it at this as I am sure anyone would be happy with a Johnzuki 4-Stroke, but me personally I would not buy one over an ETEC.

Regards,

Huey.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your comments everyone! After talking with numerous dealers, I have learn more here. The 115 E-Tec will be the one for me. Now I just need to find some comments on the new boat! The one i've got my eye on is a Tabs 5m Territory Pro - I'll just have to check but Ithink they should match up nicely.

Stallo

Very interesting. I was going to buy a Yam 4 stroke but now considering ETEC. Still have questions. Does the ETEC have any smoke whatsoever at start up? Will the ETEC run smooth while trawling at low speeds?

Very interesting. I was going to buy a Yam 4 stroke but now considering ETEC. Still have questions. Does the ETEC have any smoke whatsoever at start up? Will the ETEC run smooth while trawling at low speeds?

It was either a yam 100 4 stroke or E-tec 115 for me. Everyone I have spoke to, have rated both of them. I am going the E-tec for more hp and less weight. If they weren't injected it would have been yami hands down. It's the carbies and lack of engine managment that make them run rough at idle and smoke alot. Finally technology has brought some of the 2 strokes up to the standard of the fours. My mate went the yami 100 option earlier this year and i can't shut him up - he never stops telling me how good it is.

Does the ETEC have any smoke whatsoever at start up? Will the ETEC run smooth while trawling at low speeds?

Hi Wazza,

No smoke, no smell.

At idle the Etec has more vibration than a fourstroke (the only downside I have found) at trolling speeds the Etec is just as smooth.

I have had my Etec 60hp for 7 months and recommend you check them out :thumbup:

Edited by Whitto

Hey everyone,

Cylinder head faluire, never heard of !!! When was the last time you heard about a Japanese motor car requiring a clyinderhead replacement. OH, and they are a clearance engine! So if something did fail, there would be no damage anyway.

What about corrosion? All it takes is for a seal to break on an outboard motor and highly corrosive saltwater to get into cylinders to cause major damage and possibly write off the cylinder head. 4 strokes still rely on vulnerable seals and gaskets as do 2 strokes. The cost of a rebuild is a valid point.