New Rod Help - To Suit 14lb Braid For Spinning

Sammy0884

Hi Guys, looking for a rod to suit my Pfluger medallist 4000, spooled with 14lb fireline.i want something to throw around bigger plastics and metals, but not like my bait soaking soft tip 6-10kg boat rod..

looking for something around the 5-8kg range, nice stiff tip (graphite) and cork grips....

i have seen some snapper rods with the big butts but i think they might be a bit difficult to throw plastics around..thoughts people? cheersSammy

Edited by Sammy0884

Hi Guys, looking for a rod to suit my Pfluger medallist 4000, spooled with 14lb fireline.i want something to throw around bigger plastics and metals, but not like my bait soaking soft tip 6-10kg boat rod..

looking for something around the 5-8kg range, nice stiff tip (graphite) and cork grips....

i have seen some snapper rods with the big butts but i think they might be a bit difficult to throw plastics around..thoughts people? cheersSammy

Nitro Magnum Butt or the Dawia Coastal Tournament are two worth looking at, I have a Magnum and love it.

You may need to increase your budget for a 5-8 kg graphite rod... The heavier rods require much more graphite, and are hence much more expensive!

The only other rod I can think of at the moment is the Shimano T-curve bluewater spin. That is like $300!

I've been looking for a rod with similar specs and couldn't find a good one (for less than $300!), so now I am going to build my own.

$300 is not an option unfortunatley, i could stretch it to around $150.... i have seen a few i like, shimano snapper raider 762 (very long with a big butt!) and backbone elite BB702 spin.. is it dangerous to put line on a rod that is well over its breaking strain? say if i was to put the 14lb braid on a 6-11lb rod?

$300 is not an option unfortunatley, i could stretch it to around $150.... i have seen a few i like, shimano snapper raider 762 (very long with a big butt!) and backbone elite BB702 spin.. is it dangerous to put line on a rod that is well over its breaking strain? say if i was to put the 14lb braid on a 6-11lb rod?

The Snapper Raider might take a heavier line class... afterall ppl run the raider bream rods with 10lb for jews etc. but if your tight on funds you dont want to be shelling out for a rod, then breaking it on heavy line (out of warranty)

the rods i mentioned are in the $200 - $300 range depending on stores. For $100 or so i would look at the heavier range of Berkley Dropshot series, there are a few new ones that look reasonably good (although i found the tips a little stiffer than I like for unweighted sluggos) Theres a 10kg rod that is around 7'2" from memory that i would take a look at.

Hey Sammy If your budget is $100-150 I would look at getting a sicstic by strudwick. They are in your price range and are great quality for the $$$$$ There graphite and have cork grips and fuji guides. The sicstic

in the 2-4kg class would match up the the reel nicely. Just remeber to take your reel to the tackle store and put the reel on the rod first and see how it feels. Good luck.

The Snapper Raider might take a heavier line class... afterall ppl run the raider bream rods with 10lb for jews etc. but if your tight on funds you dont want to be shelling out for a rod, then breaking it on heavy line (out of warranty)

the rods i mentioned are in the $200 - $300 range depending on stores. For $100 or so i would look at the heavier range of Berkley Dropshot series, there are a few new ones that look reasonably good (although i found the tips a little stiffer than I like for unweighted sluggos) Theres a 10kg rod that is around 7'2" from memory that i would take a look at.

just had a look the Snapper Raider is 7' 6" 2 pce 5-8kg. so perfect for 14lb braid (at least on paper)

Hey Sammy If your budget is $100-150 I would look at getting a sicstic by strudwick. They are in your price range and are great quality for the $$$$$ There graphite and have cork grips and fuji guides. The sicstic

in the 2-4kg class would match up the the reel nicely. Just remeber to take your reel to the tackle store and put the reel on the rod first and see how it feels. Good luck.

2-4kg with 14lb braid sharky? you must be thinking of my 8lb rig that i had on friday, this is for a 4000 size reel with 14lb fireline, just to pull in those dollies with a bit more peace of mind :P

It depends on how much fun you want to have with the dollies the sicstic has a heavier rod but if you want something light to cast all day long check it out. The 2-4 kg stic was going to be my new jewie rod matched with a 3500 or 4000 size reel. They are nice and stiff and are great for flicking heavy plastics. From memory they are about 7f 4inc. I think the next size up is 5-8kgs but I havent seen this rod only the 10-15kg rod and thats really nice.

Have a look at the Squidgy Barra Spin Rod.

Cheers, Col

looks like the perfect rod on paper ! where can i find someone who will have these in stock?
It depends on how much fun you want to have with the dollies the sicstic has a heavier rod but if you want something light to cast all day long check it out. The 2-4 kg stic was going to be my new jewie rod matched with a 3500 or 4000 size reel. They are nice and stiff and are great for flicking heavy plastics. From memory they are about 7f 4inc. I think the next size up is 5-8kgs but I havent seen this rod only the 10-15kg rod and thats really nice.

SiCStik Models

Model/Code

Length

Weight

Pieces

Lure (gm)

Spin SticksSIC601S

6'0"

1-3 kg

1-4g

SIC661S

6'6"

1-3 kg

1-4g

SIC661S-2

6'6"

1-3 kg

1-4g

SIC662S

6'6"

2-4 kg

4-8g

SIC664S

6'6"

4-6kg

7-20g

SIC701S-2

7'0"

1-3 kg

1-4g

SIC702S

7'0"

2-4 kg

4-8g

SIC702S-2

7'0"

2-4 kg

4-8g

for flicking lures and plastics i wouldnt look at the barra spin,i found mine to short and too stiff for that sort of stuff, great for small livebait fishing though. i sold mine to get the Nitro. I reckon I would get into the tackly and look at the raider snapper, thinking of having a look myself :1prop:

well, i searched just about every tackle shop in sydney, and finally found the rod i was after today, i found one of the strudwick sicsticks 6"8' 4-7kg! perfect! and it only cost me $80, bargain!

thanks to all who offered advice!

Well done Sammy.

You'll have to start putting the live baits out on the new rig, should be good fun on the kings :thumbup:

i can wait to give it a go! shame the weather will be crap this weekend... it should also make short work of the dollies!

well, i searched just about every tackle shop in sydney, and finally found the rod i was after today, i found one of the strudwick sicsticks 6"8' 4-7kg! perfect! and it only cost me $80, bargain!

thanks to all who offered advice!

not bad at all for $80