Evens Head/lennox Head

Guest Jocool

Guest Jocool

Guys, Just a quick note to tell you that the proposed Marine Park for Byron Bay has recieved an extension of the consultation deadline until the 29th of November 2004. Information on the pending Park is available at this LINK! There is also a Submission form at this LINK!

USE IT! It costs you nothing to have your say! Don't let's get rail roaded by the Greens, or the Pros, or whoever is behind this. Have your say as you are entitled to!

Some of you may say SO WHAT! It doesnt concern you. But it does. It concerns you in 2 ways. Firstly, if it goes through with out proper community consultation, the government will think it can put one over us. So will do it to an area closer to you! Secondly, it will concern you when you go up there for a holiday, like Iain and Jimbo did recently, and you won't be able to fish! :-mad2

There is a distinct lack of rec fisho's having their say on issues such as this. We should no longer be the apathetic group who is the last to realise what is being done to our sport! We SHOULD stand up and be counted.

Recreational fishing is the largest participant sport in Australia, yet we don't act like a big group with a loud voice, but believe me we are. It just takes a bit of concern and a bit of gumption to make things happen!

Get involved!

joe

on the submission form they ask for comments on a host of specific activites contained in div 8 and 9 of the draft zone plan

Unless we come under the "other" banner none of these mentioned have anything to do with rec fishing of any type apart from spearfishing and possibly bait collecting. IF and only IF the draft plan actually canvases no restrictions other than those already implemented for rec fishing in the area couldnt this thing actually be good for us

what specific implications does the draft zone plan have for rec fishing in this area

and where can I find a copy ?

I ask the question because rec fishing is a major issue for any MP application and as its not canvased as a specific issue on the submission Im keen to find out what they actually propose for us.

Edited by allen glover

Guest Jocool

Your right Allen. I just had a look through the submission form, and it doesn't mention Rec Fishing! :confusuion:

But I'm sure I read something in the draft plan about Rec Fishing. I'm going to study it further!

Guest Jocool

Thats what I thought! I just wasnt too sure about the classifications and wanted to clarify. :confusuion: :confusuion:

:P Just had to say something on this!!!!!!!!!---------the bottom line is that there is heaps of local stuff going on IN PROTEST of this proposal(local paper and tv stuff)-not totally against the park as a principle-but a need to review with a common sence approach to the overall plan---------the clowns who have mapped out the park can't even get their co ordinates right on some locations------ie---the pinnacle off lennox head-------a hot boaties spot--------that this mob have agreed to now allow fishing--is still shown as to be located in the park on their map---------anyhow---------their are still activities going on-their is a major rally on the 16 th of october here at lennox------should create some "wake up calls"to those dim witted polies who sit in glass houses with cotton wool in their ears-----we needs :-mad2 :-mad2 :-mad2 :-mad2 :-mad2 :-mad2 ---all we can do is try-----------catch ya-power to the fishoes-------------Gregg

Guest bluecod

Mick's right - you have to delve into the plan, I had to look twice, but there is an awful lot of NO FISHING water proposed in the area.

I understand there will be a lot of retirees and holidaymakers, not to mention the local regular fishermen, who will have their chosen recreational activity severely curtailed by the proposal. Would you like this to happen in your area?

The Introduction to the plan indicates that it came into being "by an undertaking given in parliament" not on scientific research or by popular choice, but on the whim of an arrogant, head up ar*e politician who chooses to buy his holiday home in New Zealand and buys his support in parliament at the expense of NSW's recreational opportunities. :thumbdown:

Now not for one minute do I think the general public is getting a fair go. :-mad2

The submission paper has been cleverly designed to aid in the impresion it is not going to impact on recreational fishing. Joe and Allen both missed it but recreational fishing is lumped in with "spear fishing and collecting" on the first page of the submission paper "Draft Operational Plan", whilst Allen was right by saying that recreational fishing doesn't even rate as a specific activity unde Div 8 & 9.

Make no mistake, if this plan comes in, there will be NO SHORE BASED fishing for the majority of the area from Lennox to the north of Byron Bay. What a fun place to go on holidays :bigfart: :bigfart:

There is plenty of scope in the proforma submission paper to make comments [eg. non-indigenous cultural heritage, rec. fishing, aspects and features, zone boundaries, compliance and enforcement etc] if you take the time to read it and make some worthwhile comments to the Marine Park Authority.