Cheap Sport Fisher Electric Motors On Sale Now At Kmart

martymonsta

Hi there,

Just wondering whether anyone has had any experience with electric motors under the brand name Sport Fisher

I saw in the latest Kmart catalogue they are selling electric trolling motors under the brand name Sport Fisher.

$229 for the 44lb model

$299 for the 54lb model

These seem pretty cheap so was just wondering whether anyone has used these before. At this price I am guessing they are freshwater models. Here is a link to the ad http://www.kmart.com.au/catalogue/20060406...758/Page_20.jpg

I am thinking of getting one for my 3.4m Savage Gull and also wiring up some nav and anchor lights for night fishing. Can anyone recommend the type of battery I would need to serve powering duties for the electric during the day and the lighting duties at night. From what I have read, the recommendation is for deep cycle batteries for electric motor duties and marine batteries for lighting duties. Also my 9.9 Tohatsu has an alternator on it tha can serve to charge the battery as well.

Not sure if I can have the best of both worlds but if anyone could help with a 'general' battery for use that would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

MartyMonsta

Hey Marty,

I'd also be very interested if anyone new anything about these as I've been searching for a transom mount leccie for my boat to help me chase those Bass!!!! :tease::tease:

There's been a few of these (or very similar) on Ebay in recent weeks. I'm not sure if this one would be OK in the salt but I think you're right, judging by the price you'd think its a freshwater model.

I'd also be interested in the battery question. I have a "normal" cycle battery for my Nav lights, bilge pump, sounder and DC accessories but I don't think this would cut the mustard when you start running a Lecci. I believe a deep cycle battery is required but all those guys with Lecci's will be able to help I'm sure.

In terms of charging from your motor, my 25 Tohatsu has a charging coil but it only puts out about 6amps at WOT, charges at about 4amps normal running and 1amp or less when slow running. I don't rely on my motor to keep my battery charged and put it on the charger at home to maintain the battery and keep it in good condition.

Cheers

David.

Edited by mottyman

Marty

From my reasearch on the battery issue:

Definately go with the deep cycle for the leccy. Normal batteries will die reasonably quickly from being run flat & charged over & over (they are not designed to cope with that).

Apparently you can buy a battery that is a combination of both normal and deep cycle. I assume these would cost more, but having one battery in a little boat would provide substantial weight savings over two batteries.

I have a new boat sitting in the yard at the moment (looks like it will finally get wet next weekend) which i splurged and got the bow-mount (minn kota) leccy & deep cycle set-up. It seems to be the tried & tested method.

As for the Kmart leccy's, it would be interesting to see what power they consume in comparison to the motorguides & minn kotas (they might use more power to make the same thrust).

My 10 cents (plus GST)

Numbers

Deep cycle will definitely handle flattening and charging better than a standard battery. Do not think however it is best to flatten it before charging. Deep cycle lead acid batteries have the number of available cycles much reduced by running till flat. Best to get a bigger battery than required aand try not to discharge it much beyond 50% for a longer life.

I run a Minn Kota fresh water in the salt. My mate uses a motorguide fresh water model in salt as well. There is little difference between the two. Remember that water of any salinity is not good for electric motors. Just ensure you wash them after use, give a spray of Lanox or similar and keep the water out of the head unit you will probably find you get quite good life out the fresh water models in salt.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Kmart models are actually Motorguides. The older models with the extendable handle were being flogged off on Ebay for a while. There may be more that have be relabelled for Kmart. Close inspection will reveal all.

Hi Caged,

Interested in your comments about running a fresh in the salt... I kinda had the same thought about washing them down and giving them a spray thinking it would probably be OK.

Do you run yours in a bucket of fresh or just give it a wash down with a sponge?? Interested in what exactly you do here.

Also, the cost difference between say a Minn Kota Fresh and Minn Kota Salt (40lb thrust) is, I suppose significant, so are we to believe that the manufacture is having a lend of us here if there's "little difference between the two" as you suggest (if I read your post correctly).

Thanks for your post and very interested in your thoughts and comments.

Regards

David.

I just hose mine down and hit with Lanox. The shaft is plastic so cant corrode and the moter needs to be sealed anyway. The Motorguide slatwater motor comes with an anode but its not as if the thing is moored so arent under constant corrosion pressure. The shaft is stainless anyway I beleive. I think the extra cost of salt water models may not be justified. With Minn Kota you cant buy a low power salt unit either. I only use a 28lb classic on a 11 foot tinny and it is heaps powerful enough for breaming. Very affordable. The Ebay Motorguides seem fine as another mate has one of those and are certainly cheap.

As a mate of mine found out on the weekend the screws holding the motor on are more important than corrosion worries as his entire outfit fell off into deep water.

Hi again mate,

Thanks very much for your feedback - I really appreciate it as I work my way towards buying a transom mount leccie. I have a tinnie as well (13') so your views on power are also of great interest.

I know what you mean about the screws that hold the thing onto your boat. I was in the hacking one day and while following a guy with a transom mount, it flew off and was skipping along behind the boat on the power cables, not good but luckily he saw it and grabed it so didn't lose it!!!! :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Thanks again for your help, very informative.

Regards

David.