Tassie Trout Pt2

Hi all,

After hearing reports that a local lake (4 springs) that spends most of the season clogged by weed had finally cleared for winter, I headed out there this morning hoping to beat the wind. It wasn't to be however and the lake wasn't safe in my little kayak so it was back to the south esk to a spot that I haven't tried at all this season. After putting the yak in at Evendale I headed upstream and it wasn't long before I'd missed my first fish, however shortly after I managed to get one to stay connected and things were looking up. I went on to score 17 trout and one redfin in a couple of hours from the yak and shore, nice little pre-work sesh. Most of the trout were around the same size (34-35cm to fork), but showed quite a bit of variation in colour.

Cheers

Col.

post-1831-1144386446_thumb.jpg

post-1831-1144386602_thumb.jpg

post-1831-1144386668_thumb.jpg

post-1831-1144386821_thumb.jpg

Do trout put up a good fight?

Trout don't pull real hard compared to saltwater fish like Aust. salmon, bream, trevally, tuna etc. however they are very good at throwing hooks with lots of jumping and just generally going nuts. A decent fish will make some reasonable runs too. Rainbows definitely go harder than browns.

Koons,

Trout season in Tassie goes from August til april for most waters though some "rainbow waters are a month late and a few lakes are open year round. The best time of year down here depends where you are, generally the low altitude areas fish best early and late in the season and the highlands are at their best in high summer. It also depends on technique, if fly fishing the warm weather brings out the insects and gets some dry fly action happening but this is less of an issue if lure or bait fishing.

Cheers

Col.