Tekota Vs Tld

pk-fishn

gday guys

my older cousin has been looking at thee reels for some time and i know there are plenty of tld fans out there. yet i wanted to ask about the tekotas in comparison to tld for all round use jigging, trolling, live baiting. is it worth the extra few dollars to buy this tekota or stick to the trusty TLD's. they sure do look a neat reel and i like the look of the aluminium sideplates!! any advice on performance appreciated..

cheers pk

Edited by pk-fishn

G'day PK

They are quite different the two reels. The Tekota has a level wind and a star drag, while the TLD is a lever drag. Depends what you most want it for... TLD for trolling, and Tekota for bottom bashing and anything that requires casting!

G'day PK

They are quite different the two reels. The Tekota has a level wind and a star drag, while the TLD is a lever drag. Depends what you most want it for... TLD for trolling, and Tekota for bottom bashing and anything that requires casting!

how does the star drag differ from the lever drag?? is the drag pretty solid on the tekota??? and do you have any ideas of the drag max on a tekota 700.. sorry for so many questions but i want to make sure i choose the correct reel. it will be used for bottom bashing, jiggin and some trolling and it will probably be casted a bit. sorry for the lame questions.

cheers pk

Edited by pk-fishn

I'm not exactly sure how a lever drag works, as I've never had one, but I hear that lever drag reels aren't flash at casting. Star drag reels on the other had are very good casters, as they can be put into complete free-spool. The drag on a Tekota is around 22lb (personally tested). It is a good reel, believe me... For versatility, a Tekota would be the best choice. Some people don't like the level wind as they believe it to be a "weak link" under heavy loads, but it makes it a whole lot easier when winding in 100's of yards of line!

I fish 15kg drag of my tekota 800. the 700 should be about same. The level wind on this is pretty solid. As with any reel other then the alveys you should pump and wind as the drivetrain is not meant for skulldragging. the tekotas dont have a really fast gear ratio but they keek up with the massive spool diameter in the 700 and 800 size. The TLDs are great for trolling but I find only the 2 speeds are worth using as the single speed can struggle. I use a TLD 2 speed 20 with 50lb Fins PRT braid for trolling and have caught a lot of yfin around 20kg-50kg. Been unlucky with the beakies. The TLDs are ok for jigging as the spool size winds in a lot of line. Two very different designs with the tekotas aimed at casting, jigging, bottom bashing and live biating and the TLDs aimed at game fishing, trolling and livebaiting.

Trolling has special considrations

Say you are using a TLD 50 2 speed with 20 kg line. You can set the drag at 8kg and get a massive strike from a big fish. Chances are that you can damage something (rod, reel foot, rod holder or even dig your line in bottom layers). This is where the lever drag comes into its own. You can preset your drag a 8 kg but only use enough lever to set hooks on fish and allow time for the boat to get in good position, then you can move the lever into the so called strike position and work the fish. You are able to place the reel into controlled freespool if the fish decides to dive under the boat. You are able to go up and down in drag range while being able to go back to your preset. This is quite common with a big fish taking a lot of line off the spool

Bottom Fishing

Laying line on the spool can get very tiring if you are fishing deep down. A reel with level wind also will alow you to hold the rod in a more comfortable position when fishing vertical.

I suggest you have a good think about which outfit will suit your situation as the wrong choice can and will get quite painfull. pm me if you want to hold an example of each type in your hand and do some virtual fishing

thankyou very much you have opened my eyes.

that was just the detailed report i was searching the net for. i think il tell my cousin to go with the tekota as he likes to bottom bash and live bait quite a bit and casting will come into play.

thanks heaps saqa you have been a real help.

cheers pk