Penn Gt2 320

insolent

Hi Fishraiders

I've been looking around for a light overhead reel and have seen a couple of these Penns for reasonable prices, just wondering if anyone knows a bit about them. What would be the comparable Shimano (TLD15?)?

Regards

Chris

Edited by Evil

Hi Fishraiders

I've been looking around for a light overhead reel and have seen a couple of these Penns for reasonable prices, just wondering if anyone knows a bit about them. What would be the comparable Shimano (TLD15?)?

Regards

Chris

If you like the TLD15 then why dont you have a look at the charter special. Pretty much the same reel with levelwind which can be removed if desired. These are very solid and can cast very well

Guest Big-Banana

I have two of these loaded with 10kg line and have handled everything thrown at them. Rat kings, stripeys, mackeral and a bunch of other pelagics. You wont be disappointed. Penn make a bloody tough reel.

Guest Big-Banana

why do some people advise to remove the level wind on reels what does it do wrong?? i thought it just helps for even line lay on the spool when retrieving..

cheers pk

Ive never had a problem with mine.

why do some people advise to remove the level wind on reels what does it do wrong?? i thought it just helps for even line lay on the spool when retrieving..

cheers pk

Some people dont have any confidence in the mech and some prefer to have their own winding pattern on to prevent the braid from digging in. I use a Tekota 400 with 50lb and 800 with 80lb for offshore jigging and livebaiting for reef critters and prefer to use the levelwind

Some people dont have any confidence in the mech and some prefer to have their own winding pattern on to prevent the braid from digging in. I use a Tekota 400 with 50lb and 800 with 80lb for offshore jigging and livebaiting for reef critters and prefer to use the levelwind

would the brand of line have anything to do with it digging in what do you use id use fireline (fused gelspun) or yet have heard finns braid is solid?? does the digging in occur with mono or would you recomend sticking with braid ??it seems mono line is being overtaken by braided lines

cheers pk

Edited by pk-fishn

would the brand of line have anything to do with it digging in what do you use id use fireline (fused gelspun) or yet have heard finns braid is solid?? does the digging in occur with mono or would you recomend sticking with braid ??it seems mono line is being overtaken by braided lines

cheers pk

Doesnt matter which type of line you use when you lock up to a 20kg plus GT, Maori wrasse and company, line will try to dig in if the preceding layers have not been wound under lots of tension. The problem is not that common with light drags but if the fish of the lifetime latches on then you can run into trouble. this can happen with both GSP and mono

This problem us amplified in braided (GSP) lines of any brand/type as there is no stretch and it is almost impossible to keep perfect tension when jigging or winding in line after getting blown away on the bottom. You will also face this situation when a gamefish is charging towards you and you are doing your best to keep up. Lets say a fish runs 100m then changes direction and swims towards the boat and you quickly wind up all the slack. If the fish changes direction again and goes for another run, the line will dig in.

If you have a levelwind reel then I would recomend testing this out. Get a mate to be a GT and and check with long strips with different drag presures and wind under different tensions. If you are mostly ok then you level wind is doing a good job. If you find line slipping down into the layers (common near the spool edges then it might be better to lay line manually.

When the line does dig in and break off you can actually loose the end under the layers.

When I fish heavy drags with any reel I keep a wet tea towel on my belt. With this I can place a fiar bit on tension on the line if I need to wind in when there is nothing to keep enough tension on the line

I find that fused GSp does have a tendency to dig in. I prefer to use Fins and Bionic braid as they have a really tight braid along with the body provided by the various impregnations which enables the coils to really snug up.

A levelwind which does beautiful even wraps can mean trouble with heavy drag.

Fins PRT is not solid. It has a very tight braiding as I have mentiond above and is saturated with a rubbery compound. When first loading up a big reel under lots of presure you will end up looking like a fairy all covered in magic yellow dust. This is the compound on top of the line coming of through friction but the line is not harmed as the compound within the braid layers plays gives the important squish factor. Fins is suited to everything except fishing with floats as the line does not float. This makes it the only braid that I know of which can be used with float lineing techniques as the line will sink with the bait.

Bionic braid uses teflon as the compound (I think). This line Floats beautifully. This also has a tight braid but can be very inconsistent from spool to spool. The 50ld usually has almost a round profile and and extremly tight weave, so much so that it almost looks like a very very thin fly line. It behaves like a flyline as well. I use the 50lb on my blackfish reel (475TCS) with a 2kg trace. The line has enough weight to stop it from blowing away by the wind but floats really well and is always very visible. It lays flat on the water and the tight weave doesnt create kinks in loose line like fireline does