South Coast Fishing

Geoff

Have just returned from a week down the South Coast. Stayed at my cousins place at Brogo. If not familiar with Brogo it is on the highway 15km north of Bega.

Other than accommodation being at the right price it is centrally located , 35min run to Bermagui , Tathra , 15min to Brogo dam & 45 min to Eden

Here is a summary

Thursday 13th

Arrived & set up our gear for an early start on Friday

Friday

Arrived at Bermi around 6.30am , met up with my daughter & friend . Headed south in calm seas to fish The Brothers. A lot of action but nothing worth keeping.

20knot N/E arrived by early PM , with a falling tide & the N/E directly into the river entrance decided to call it a day.

Back at Brogo others had arrived & an afternoon beach outing was arranged.

Fished Cuttagee Beach for 6 Salmon. 3 were good size keepers. Fun to catch , crap to eat. I fished with Berkley worms hoping for Whiting or Bream. Result was 1 small Salmon. The others were using pillies on gangs , this was the more effective set up.

Saturday

High winds , no boat fishing so off to the Bass hole . The Brogo river passes the front of the property & has a good supply of Bass. Most access is only via someone's property so the river is rarely fished. 3 good size fish were landed , unfortunately none for me.

Sunday

Family day

Monday

Arrived at Bermi to find calm seas. Headed to north to Camel rock. Did a few drifts for 6 , 30cm Flathead then the N/E arrived. With one of the guys feeling off colour back to the ramp & to implement plan B , Wallaga lake. The lake is 7 km north of Bermi. Several hours produced a small Tailor , whiting & reddie. Scratch W.L. from future trips.

Tuesday

No fishing

Wednesday

Went for a run up to Brogo Dam to check out the launching facilities. Water level was low , approx 1 mt below the end of the ramp. Scratch that idea.

Driving around we found the base of the dam & a likely Bass spot. Plenty of fish rising but only one brief hook-up

Thursday

Wind was blowing 20 knots from the S/W at Brogo so planned to fish the Bega River at Tathra. Bega river is OK but nothing to get excited about. Approaching Bega noticed that the additional distance to Eden was 30 km. With Twofold Bay fishable in most conditions a quick decision & we headed south.

This turned out to be our best day. Sea was calm , gentle N/E & a mornings fishing produced a good feed of fish inc a large Salmon , flathead & a variety of reef fish.

Returning home the guys were keen to give the dam another run. Not as many rising this time but just on dusk 3 fish were landed.

Here is a snap

post-731-1145755346_thumb.jpg

Friday

A quiet day & decided to drive to Merimbula to check out the tackle stores. Not a cheap place to shop , picked up 3 Kokada lures for $24.00

Saturday

Back home to Sydney

Overall , a great time & have arranged a return trip next Easter

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Sounds like a fantastic trip mate and I'm dead jealous. Great report.

The bass action got my blood pumping and love that pic. I'd love to get a few surface lures in there early in the morning, especially if the bass are rising like you say...... (drooling!!! LOLOL) :yahoo::yahoo:

What Kokoda lures did you buy, I really hope you didn't pay $24 for 3 Bats when they are 3 for $12 at a local tackle store here in Penrith :tease::tease:

Anywho, nice report and you obviously had a good time. Talk to you soon.

Cheers

David.

What Kokoda lures did you buy, I really hope you didn't pay $24 for 3 Bats when they are 3 for $12 at a local tackle store here in Penrith

David

Here is a photo . I recall you mentioning a price , thought it was $5.00 each. Knew $8.00 each was more expensive but wanted to purchase in case they were no longer available in Sydney & was not sure when I would next visit Penrith

post-731-1145761410_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Yep, that's them. I stocked up on the black ones a little while ago.

Next time on the Parra I'm going to give them a whirl around the mangroves at high tide and see if I can't tempt a bream into some surface action.

Cheers

Hi Geoff, We stopped in at my uncles place at brogo last week on the way down to Mallacoota for a fishing trip. We heard the dam was low and we were only staying overnight so decided to give the bass a miss and fish a large dam on the property that was stocked with silver and golden perch a long time ago. Caught a huge eel around 20 pound on a bibless minnow - very lucky to get the lure back. I have seen some big estuary eels in my time but this thing was huge for a freshwater specimen. Hooked a golden around 60cm on a black deception lure only to lose the fish about 6 feet from the bank! Maybe I should have just stuck with the bass - at least it was an exciting morning.

Hi Geoff, We stopped in at my uncles place at brogo last week on the way down to Mallacoota for a fishing trip. We heard the dam was low and we were only staying overnight so decided to give the bass a miss and fish a large dam on the property that was stocked with silver and golden perch a long time ago. Caught a huge eel around 20 pound on a bibless minnow - very lucky to get the lure back. I have seen some big estuary eels in my time but this thing was huge for a freshwater specimen. Hooked a golden around 60cm on a black deception lure only to lose the fish about 6 feet from the bank! Maybe I should have just stuck with the bass - at least it was an exciting morning.

Stallo :1welcomeani: to Fishraider.

Roughley where in Brogo, along the road to the dam ??. My cousins place is on the highway with the red train carrage near the entrance.

20lb eel :1yikes: sounds like the creature from the Black Lagoon. It must have been interesting retreiving the lure

How was Mallacoota. If I recall correctly that was the place where the first Squidgie DVD was made.

Geoff

Stallo :1welcomeani: to Fishraider.

Roughley where in Brogo, along the road to the dam ??. My cousins place is on the highway with the red train carrage near the entrance.

20lb eel :1yikes: sounds like the creature from the Black Lagoon. It must have been interesting retreiving the lure

How was Mallacoota. If I recall correctly that was the place where the first Squidgie DVD was made.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. The property is called Willow Creek and is about half way out to the dam. I think they have about 250 acres but no brogo creek frontage. The hooks pulled out after alot of struggle. The eel was not a personal best, which was 32lb caught in an estuary on a handline. I had caught a huge one a while back on the same rod with 6lb line and we got it in and it weighed in at 17lb. This was definately bigger.

Mallacoota was pretty good. The weather wasn't. It was overcast, drizzly and windy nearly every day. There were an abundance of flathead around the 30-35cm mark and little snapper around the 20 -25cm mark. We managed to find a few spots where we could get away from them amd get some bream around the 30cm mark and flatties from 40 - 50cm. In total I think we kept about 35 fish over about a week. The lake was closed but I think it fishes a bit better now the pro's are out of there. We spent a fair bit of time fishing with all sorts of sort plastics but always did better with baits.

Do you fish brogo much? I have only fished out there twice. Went out late one arvo for a spin below the dam and caught 1 good sized fish. We went out another time and fished all over the dam for 2 days and caught nothing. both these trips were over 10 years ago. I think they may have stocked it since then.

Not sure about the first squidgie dvd?

Do you fish brogo much? I have only fished out there twice. Went out late one arvo for a spin below the dam and caught 1 good sized fish. We went out another time and fished all over the dam for 2 days and caught nothing. both these trips were over 10 years ago. I think they may have stocked it since then.

I normally get down to my Cousins place each Easter. In respect to the dam , we go more so as a "Plan B " , when the weather is too rough to fish the ocean.

Have fished the dam waterways twice over the years, result zero . From all reports there are heaps of fish but also a good supply of food so they really need to be on the bite to get a result.

From our recent experience the river appears far more productive

Geoff