Stop Wading

Guest Saqa

This the missus wading the flats in Hervey Bay last holidays. Later that night there was a 120kg whaler caught from the Urangan pier fifty meters away. Couldnt take any pics of the noah as was raining but they are a common catch there along with massive cods on big baits on heavy LBG gear. No more wading.

post-1888-1145950538_thumb.jpg

Guest bluecod

This the missus wading the flats in Hervey Bay last holidays. Later that night there was a 120kg whaler caught from the Urangan pier fifty meters away. Couldnt take any pics of the noah as was raining but they are a common catch there along with massive cods on big baits on heavy LBG gear. No more wading.

post-1888-1145950538_thumb.jpg

Rohit - not sure if that's the right attitude mate - depending on her age, wading the flats could be a final solution but make sure she is well insured first :074::074::074:

The lagoon at Lord Howe Island is where everone swims during the day, but once night falls the place is taken over by big whalers - anywhere open to the sea will potentially have sharks and you just need to weigh the risks accordingly.

Rohit - not sure if that's the right attitude mate - depending on her age, wading the flats could be a final solution but make sure she is well insured first :074::074::074:

The lagoon at Lord Howe Island is where everone swims during the day, but once night falls the place is taken over by big whalers - anywhere open to the sea will potentially have sharks and you just need to weigh the risks accordingly.

Not sure if Rohit wants to get rid of his missus anytime soon...from my brief chat with him on the weekend it sounded as if she was a keen fisho too...to the point of getting a new rod for valentines day :biggrin2:

Yeah I can vouch for the big whalers in Lord Howe Island lagoon...I have landed a smaller one myself and believe you me I didn't have to look hard :wacko: : just threw in a pilly after dinner and off it went! Then the next day while fishing for garfish, a baby reef shark zoomed in, took a look at the gar on the end of my line, then decided it wanted my only garfish float instead and took that home to play with :1badmood:

I have seen a dog being taken at Iron Cove and a bite taken out of a kayak at the same place. I fish for blackfish there standing in the water. Hasnt stopped me. What I wanted to show was that a perfect paradise with people fishing and kids swimming can serve nasty a suprise later. I found out that it was quite normal for that place, swimming during the day and sharks at night. I still havent told the missus about the shark. Dont want her to stop fishing.

But people should be aware that the nasty ones like the bulls will make their way anywhere including freshwater chasing bait. I saw a USA documentry about a guy who was wading a sandbar and lost his thigh. He had bait in his pocket.

I still do a lot of wading and I am aware that it isnt anyone elses fault if I ever lost any toes

This is me on the same day

post-1888-1146064964_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rohit,

I am heading to Hervey Bay for a week in November (last week of November). My brother lives there and am going to see my new niece Oh and of course do some fishing. Any tips on gear and locations would be good as I haven't been there before and he has only fished twice before.

Cheers

Trev

Guest Saqa

Rohit,

I am heading to Hervey Bay for a week in November (last week of November). My brother lives there and am going to see my new niece Oh and of course do some fishing. Any tips on gear and locations would be good as I haven't been there before and he has only fished twice before.

Cheers

Trev

Mate there is a boat called the silver lady which operates out of Hervey Bay marina. This is the boat to go on. The skipper is ex pro and knows all the spots for the big ones. If it is rough then go on the princess 2. this is a big steel job which can handle big water.

Offshore:

have a look at the local water way map. the artificial reefs are good for emperors and snapper. most of the markers offshore hold good schools of herring and floating one around there can get you some nice mackerel. the pebbles is great for large mackerel and reef fish.

Shore:

There are numerous yappy flats all along the coastline and you can get some decent whiting and golden trevelly there. I like the area between shelly beach and the marina. the breakwall at the marina has some decent jacks (very hard to get out from the shore). the kilometre long peir at urangan is good for drifting out small livies during day for barra, jacks, cod and longtail. at night you can put out big baits for shark. the shore end of the peir has good whiting and there are decent bream under it. some very big GT also pay it a visit in the morning

Frasier island:

the east coast has brilliant beach fishing for most species. the west coast has plenty of flats fishing for goldens and whiting

Mary and Susan rivers:

plenty of jacks in the mangroves and barra if you lucky. great lure fishing for bream

Lenthils dam:

has been stocked with barra, need a boat to fish it properly

Hervey bay is a massive waterway and almost unlimited options. you do need a boat to fish it properly. you can hire them at the marina. hope this helps. I might be heading up there myself in late aug