Rig For Livies When Catching Kings...

big_steve

hey fellow raiders,

im unsure as to the best rig or set up wen it comes to rigging up a livie wen chasing kings,

just general stuff like

hook size,

wat size sinker,

and the general rig,

ahh and best way to hook a livie on??

and anythng else ive missd lol,

thanks in advanced fellas...

:1fishing1: steve

hook size would be about 4/0 + depending on the size of livies. some anglers prefer to pin the livies through the nose or just behind the head for yakkas and slimies and for squid a hook through the top of the head and for bigger squid baits a snelled two hook rig one going through the top of the head and the other coming out the base of the head. as for weight that depends on the current or where the kings are sitting in the water column many anglers downrig their baits or simply use balloons or just throw the baits in unweighted.

apart from that simple rigs work best! use this link

http://www.fishraider.com.au/articles/kingfish/

cheers pk

Edited by pk-fishn

hey fellow raiders,

im unsure as to the best rig or set up wen it comes to rigging up a livie wen chasing kings,

just general stuff like

hook size,

wat size sinker,

and the general rig,

ahh and best way to hook a livie on??

and anythng else ive missd lol,

thanks in advanced fellas...

:1fishing1: steve

Hook = 5/0 - 8/0 depending on the size of the livie

Sinker = #5 ball or large barrel #5, depending on the drift or current

Rig = Swivel and a short trace is a must as livies like swimming in circles, either a long trace of 1.5m with a barrel sinker fixed 30cm above the hook, or a running ball sinker running down to a swivel and 30cm trace. the shorter the trace the better the livie will survive

Or you can float one out, with a good size float and about 3m of line below a swivel and float stopper

i think with fishing circle hooks theres a good hookup rate but you have to let the fish turn and run first which is very hard when your anticipating the strike. although the snapper anglers and others sware by them i dont think they have as much popularity on kings...the baitrunner function helps with these hooks as it allows the fish to take line freely of the spool, turn and run with the bait. this is primarily what circle hooks were designed for so that the little bent bit catches the fish in the corner of the jaw when it turns its head, it doesnt go down the gut of the fish.

yet they take some time getting used to and personally i havent had much experience with circles so id say if your starting out stick to the standard J or wide gap hooks they should be just as effective.

cheers pk

I use circle hooks a lot. You have to let the fish load the rod up. As long as the fish has taken the hook past its lips, the hook will try to come back out when it moves and catches onto the jaw hinge. I dont use freespool when using circles and let the rod in the holder or against the rail load up. I also dont put the bait on the ocean floor. I suspend it at the target depth striaght from the rod tip and use a spoon sinker in a running rig to plane in the current and prevent spinning the whole rig. The shape and weight of the spoon will hold it nicely in the current and balancing the weight against the current will help in setting the baits at different depths and angles from the boat. Use a really good quality swivel after the sinker to tie the trace. This is good for targeting fish that dont always sit on the bottom like snapper, bream, trevs and company. A different techenique is required with circles for absolute bottom feeders like flatties and whitting.

Above not relevent to kings. That info is how to on circles. Rigs for kings depend on where they are situated compared to boat/ledge. PM me if you want info on LBG techniques.

From a boat you have the option of:

• Casting to structure. Tie your leader straight to your double with an albright and single or double hooks on the end.

• Use styrene floats or balloons if the kings are in the top half of the water column

• Try downrigging or the spoon sinker technique mentioned above if the kings are down deep

I would recommend 2m of 30-50lb from a boat with 10-24kg tackle and upto 100lb from the rocks on 15kg or 24kg LBG gear. With kings you need to keep in mind the type of structure you are fishing and make allowence for risks of getting rubbed out.

Hooks - Use J hooks as I havent seen any decent ratio with circles on kings. Use offset hooks and make sure that the point is angled away from the bait and not digging ito it. Kings are incapable of chopping the bait up like tailor and spainiards and burried hookpoints will miss. The two hook with the top hook snelled works very well with lives and squid. Choose the hook by the size of the bait. 4/0-12/0 are usually used

I always use a 3/0 treble as the leading hook and than 4/0 live bait hook as a guiding hook, the 4/0 must be rigged so it is adjustable, depending on the size of your live bait.

If using squid the treble goes just between the eyes and the 4/0 goes right on the tip of the tube. this rig will allow you to get the fish hooked alot easier, and also the treble will make it very hard for him to spit the hook out.

Got this rig from a pro of twenty years and since switching to it have a 100% hooked to boat ratio.

I always use a 3/0 treble as the leading hook and than 4/0 live bait hook as a guiding hook, the 4/0 must be rigged so it is adjustable, depending on the size of your live bait.

If using squid the treble goes just between the eyes and the 4/0 goes right on the tip of the tube. this rig will allow you to get the fish hooked alot easier, and also the treble will make it very hard for him to spit the hook out.

Got this rig from a pro of twenty years and since switching to it have a 100% hooked to boat ratio.

Think i know what you mean with the yakkas, is the treble like a stinger or is it hooked into the bait fish

Edited by TunOFun

Think i know what you mean with the yakkas, is the treble like a stinger or is it hooked into the bait fish

No it is actually hooked into the live bait, the treble goes just before the tail and the live bait hook goes inside the eye socket at the top of the eye, sounds rough but they will actually live longer than through the back.

This rig you can just drop the livie or Troll/Downrigg it, and as most fish go for the tail first it will improve your chances of getting them hooked if they dont take the whole yakka as the treble is right there.

See Image (yes i know its a king not a yakka buts it the only diagram i had)

Edited by netic

i like that idea of the treble very clever. it makes sense with the increased hook up rate as the king could come from several angles and you have him covered with the treble and the front hook, very neat. if you dont mind me asking Netic what lb mainline and leader do you use for sydney kings?? with wedding cakes, channel markers and structure in the area??

cheers pk :1fishing1:

• 3 weeks later...

i like that idea of the treble very clever. it makes sense with the increased hook up rate as the king could come from several angles and you have him covered with the treble and the front hook, very neat. if you dont mind me asking Netic what lb mainline and leader do you use for sydney kings?? with wedding cakes, channel markers and structure in the area??

cheers pk :1fishing1:

Sorry for the late reply, forgot about this thread, i use between 60 - 80lb leader with a 30-40 lb main

Edited by netic