Beach Fish

Jewhunter

G'day all.

Hit the beach on Sat night. First bait in at 5.00pm lasted about 3 minutes & out comes a 3kg Jew.

Same bait & same spot lasted about as long & another Jew the same size. Bait was still fine so back out again. A few minutes again & this time a Sambo of 62cms.

Bite slowed a bit after the sun went down, but got another 2 schoolies.

End result was 4 Jew between 55-65cms & 1 Sambo.

A fun session for me but my mate didn"t get a fish! :074:

Had a beaut BBQ on Sunday of fresh Jew with some mates.

Sorry about the picture, I didn't take the camera to the beach.

Cheers.

( P.S bait was squid )

G'day all.

Hit the beach on Sat night. First bait in at 5.00pm lasted about 3 minutes & out comes a 3kg Jew.

Same bait & same spot lasted about as long & another Jew the same size. Bait was still fine so back out again. A few minutes again & this time a Sambo of 62cms.

Bite slowed a bit after the sun went down, but got another 2 schoolies.

End result was 4 Jew between 55-65cms & 1 Sambo.

A fun session for me but my mate didn"t get a fish! :074:

Had a beaut BBQ on Sunday of fresh Jew with some mates.

Sorry about the picture, I didn't take the camera to the beach.

Cheers.

( P.S bait was squid )

What a great nights fishing!!!!

What beach were you on?

and congrats on the feed.

Guest madsmc

Nice beach session there Grant :thumbup:, if only mine were that productive.

How are you cooking them on the barbie? Cutlets or fillets? Are you adding any flavourings/marinades or just plain?

Shane

:1fishing1:

How are you cooking them on the barbie? Cutlets or fillets? Are you adding any flavourings/marinades or just plain?

G'day Shane,

Mate I fillet, skin & de-bone them. Then marinate the fillets in melted butter, lime juice, chopped coriander & diced ginger for 1/2 hour & cook them on high heat for a few minutes.

Bloody sensational!!

I did some more in sweet chilli sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, diced ginger & crushed garlic. They were a hit as well.

Now go get yourself a Jew & try those recipies!!

Cheers, Grant.

Guest madsmc

G'day Shane,

Mate I fillet, skin & de-bone them. Then marinate the fillets in melted butter, lime juice, chopped coriander & diced ginger for 1/2 hour & cook them on high heat for a few minutes.

Bloody sensational!!

I did some more in sweet chilli sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, diced ginger & crushed garlic. They were a hit as well.

Now go get yourself a Jew & try those recipies!!

Cheers, Grant.

:drool: Some nice recipes there mate, thanks for that. I'll definately give them a go when I finally land one big enough to take home. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Well you're certainly living up to your name!!

You say the bite slowed after the sun went down eh? Well I might have to revise my tactics - all the many many nights I've spent fishing the wee dark hours with not a single jew to show for it.

It's great so see someone getting success anyway - do you mind if I ask whether the squid was self-caught or store-bought?

Mondo

What rig were you using?

Was using a star sinker, pair of snooded 6/0 Gammy's on 60cm of 24kg trace, with fresh squid strips for bait.

Mondo, squid was self caught mate.

Edited by Jewhunter

Hi JH - another question - when you're cutting up your squid for strip baits, do you ever use the wings?

I've always wondered whether I'm wasting good bait by throwing these away. I know fishermen who eat them when they've caught squid for the table, but I dunno about bait.

Mondo

Hi JH - another question - when you're cutting up your squid for strip baits, do you ever use the wings?

G'day Mondo.

Mate I used to peel the skin & the wings off but now I just cut the squid in half & half the two pieces, if the squid is big enough. I leave the wings & skin on & cover everything in as much ink as I can. 4 thick picker resistant strips & a head for bait off 1 squid.

My theory is that fish eat squid as they are, so why change anything!

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks again JH - thanks for the tip re the ink as well, it makes sense and I haven't tried it before.

Joe - you need to go get yourself a squid jig (it's a lure - yo-zuri make the best), find a 1-5 meter deep patch of water with scattered weed beds, and then start casting.

You should also try well-lit wharves around the harbour at night. The Wharves at little Manly and Rose bay are well known squidding spots, as is the wharf on the northern side of the Captain Cook bridge - high tide will be the most productive.

If you find any good locations of your own then guard them well my friend - a good squid spot is a fine weapon to have up your sleeve if you want to consistently target big Kings and Jews around Sydney!!

Mondo

Guys

A method that is used up the coast is to get a large beach worm and thread the worm on the hook over the eye and then up the line about 8 inches (250mm). With the rest of the worm keep looping it and then put the hook through making a ball of worm around the barb and the bend of the hook. Leave a tail piece dangeling of the end of the hook. I have caught many Jew from the beach using this bait.

Another good bait if there are tailor around is to cut a tailor at an angle from the back of the head at the top to the vent at the bottom. Rig this on a two hook snell and put it out. This has also caught me quite a few Jew mainly from Stockton Beach.

If your interested in using live tailor then the way we used to do this is to find a place you might like to fish the day before you fish it. Take your gear and make a cast out to where you think your bait needs to sit. Tie a small stand of cotton around the line at this pinot then wide in. Hook your live bait on a two hook snell and then let it swim away from beach until the cotton comes back of the spool and let it sit. If you try to throw live baits they die.

Squid and octapus are good baits but jew come to the beaches chasing mullet/whiting/tailor and worms.

Cheers and good luck

Kingpig

Some nice tips there kingpig.

Worms are an old fave. So is Tailor. Both work very well as Jew bait.

The biggest Jew ( 20kgs ) I've caught from the spot we fished was on a fresh Tailor fillet.

I've never got a Jew on Occy. I reckon a Jew would never knock back FRESH Squid be it off a beach of anywhere else! :biggrin2:

Cheers,