Lucinda Walk-on Jetty

Krazi-kev

I havent got any tips but what are you planning on catching with your 114lb hand lines :1yikes:

There are some very powerful fish lurking under the jetty besides the 200kg resident groper. I think I am probably a little late but will be targeting fingermark. Need some good gear for the big GT's and queenies

Locals start at 150lb................I have 114lb with 8/0 circle hook.

ahhh your up in gods country...i gotta get my ass up there soon...fishing is just on the next the level up there...

There are some big Barra up here that tail walk while trying to throw your hooks. The mackeral are starting to appear so floating out a live whiting or mullet will also be on the cards.

I live in townsville and yes the fishing can be good. I am only landbased but those that have boats do very well indeed.

Happy fishing mate

There are some very powerful fish lurking under the jetty besides the 200kg resident groper. I think I am probably a little late but will be targeting fingermark. Need some good gear for the big GT's and queenies

Locals start at 150lb................I have 114lb with 8/0 circle hook.

The only time I have ever fished the jetty was on a stop over there, it was back in May 1990. I was travelling around Australia. Took an 80lb hand line with a slab of fish and a 10/0 down and hooked up something that felt like a submarine. There were no headshakes, wasn't a ray. The only thing I could put it down to was maybe a very dosile, huge shark. Could not hold it and eventually ran out of line and had to cut if off to save the handline.

About 4 years ago I was telling a mate about it and he told me a story about a Qld groper his dad caught up that way back in the early 80's. He said the groper was 500lb. I told him he was full of it but to my surprise he turned up a couple of days later with the photo's!!! They were dragging the groper up the beach with the winch on the front of the 4wd! It's like one of those fishing stories that get way too far out of hand but it was true. Well to an extent. There were no photos with scales showing the weight. It certainly looked like it was 500lb. I haven't seen him for a couple of years but if I run into him, I'll see if I can scan the pics.

So does anyone know how big they get or what the record is? This one in the photo looked close to 10ft long and over 2ft tall and wide. From memory I thought it was more of a cod shape than the groper we get here.

From the experience I had at Lucinda Jetty, I'd be going with the locals and taking as much 150lb line as you can get!

:1yikes::1yikes: 500lb is massive!

But if its a queensland groper , they are known to reach weights of 400kg and measuring 2.7m!!!

elanceolatdh21147173798.jpg

Yeah, That's it. It didn't look as good as that. But definately the same shape. The photo's he showed me were pretty old and in average condition. I think they had been handed round between a few fishos in the past(as you would). I don't image people would keep them these days and they are probably protected.

protected now arent they ?

The problem is that when the resident groper is around................nothing else is. I would like to see it. I certainly do not want to be towed around the jetty.

January there was a big croc around the jetty ...............scarey stuff

I propose to put a big mullet slab onto an 8/0 circle hook and attach it to my 114lb line on a handline. I have seen big barra there and at night you cannot see much but can hear bait fish being slammed by Barra and Tarpon.

Queenfish can get big around the jetty and they are good fun to catch and make a fair sashimi.

I will post a report if I get lucky. 3 days in January this year and no results was frustrating. Hopiong things get better now.

I am not sure of the water depth from the jetty. I am assuming that it is about 20ft deep. I have only loaded 30 meters of 11lb line onto the handline. I have good gloves and will hold on tight

ooops!!

typo

114lb line that is

this place sounds great for land based stuff.

Is there a limit as to how far you can go up the jetty or is it all access

There is a small walk-on jetty beside the long one. No-one is allowed on the long jetty-BUGGER!!

If you had a boat then your options are better. It has been said that the last pylon is great for fishing. Fast reteiving lures and hold on. Big fingermark can drag your boat towards the pylon. There is also a restriction of about 5 meters. Cannot fish within 5 metres of jetty pylons.

Going up Tomorrow night

I hope to beat my all time record of 3kg this weekend...he!he!

you cant walk on the long jetty??? why not?? what a waste, why would you build one of the worlds largest jetty's if you cant use it? what happens if you are caught on the jetty?

Maybe security officers posted with AK47's.

Not sure mate

I don't know how to get on it anyway.

you cant walk on the long jetty??? why not?? what a waste, why would you build one of the worlds largest jetty's if you cant use it? what happens if you are caught on the jetty?

Basically because the jetty is quite narrow and is essentially one long conveyer belt to carry the sugar out to the waiting tankers. The jetty has to be this long to allow adequate water depth for the large ships. Keep in mind that you are on the inside of the Barrier Reef. Also, there are some veeerry large fish under where you can fish which is right onshore. Water level drops right off from the beach into about 10 - 15 mtrs, but remember that the tides up there, particularly in the warmer months, can have at least a 2.5 mtr fluctuation. Virtually anything can be caught there- Mangrove Jacks, huuuge bream I mean 45cm stuff ( I got one last September) as well as GT's, Barra etc, but at low tide you have a long haul up from the water with your catch, hence the heavy duty gear requirements. My mate owns a pub just on the road in to Lucinda at a place called Macnade. You have to go past it to get to the jetty about 5k's away. It's calle dthe Lion Hotel and his name is Jonathon Roberts. Pop in for a coldie and view some of the locals- they're rather interesting the people up there!!