John Dory

Guest Aron

Guest Aron

Hi all fishraiders,

Im hitting the hawksbury Saturday night in the hope of catching a feed of John Dory.

Ive done a bit of research on this site and others, and in books and magazines.

I am a bit confussed with the legal bag limit and size limit, John Dory is not listed on fisheries nsw site so to me that means there is a bag limit of 20 and no size limit, however in the 2006 the great outdoors tide guideits states that there is no legal size, bag limit of 5.

which is correct

I dont think im lucky/skillful enough to catch 5 or more John Dorys in a session as they can be hard to come across, and if i did 5 would be more than enough so the excess would be released.

Another question i have is how do you attach your live bait to the hook. ill be using yakkas

a) hook through the top jaw

B ) hook through the top jaw and a stinger hook trailing

c) hook through the shoulder

d) hook through the tail

e) hook through both shoulder & tail

Any input and advice will be appreciated

Edited by Aron

haraka is spot on with rig a, theres no need for a stinger hook chances are it will only deter these fish as they have a huge hyperextendable jaw/mouth and engulf a baitfish whole. and dont just stick to yakkas they take plenty of other lives even some i have cuaght on a pilchard.!!! just a hint clip the lvies tail as the dory arent the fastest of swimmers. try more near pittwater rather than up the hawkesbury especailly around some predominat wrecks, reef pinnicales or structure and you dont have to strictly target them at night!!

and good luck!!

cheers pk :1fishing1:

Edited by pk-fishn

Add to that advise

BOAT MOORINGS -

This fish is the best you can ever eat.. bloody hard to work out though.

I've only ever caught one on a live yakka at akuna bay..has anyone ever caught them that far or was mine a 'one off'

Guest Aron

John Dory can be found in deep holes and close to structure, jettys reefs etc, they move into estaries like the hawksbury, and have been caught in many locations in cowan creek (like the hairtail).

Why night, - well i work saturdays and sunday is mothers day so im going to go 5pm - 11pm saturday, collect some livies and fish the high tide which is at 8:20pm

that and using the same methods i maybe able to snag a hairtail as well

what do you mean by reddie - is that a squire (pinky)

Edited by Aron

John Dory can be found in deep holes and close to structure, jettys reefs etc, they move into estaries like the hawksbury, and have been caught in many locations in cowan creek (like the hairtail).

Why night, - well i work saturdays and sunday is mothers day so im going to go 5pm - 11pm saturday, collect some livies and fish the high tide which is at 8:20pm

that and using the same methods i maybe able to snag a hairtail as well

what do you mean by reddie - is that a squire (pinky)

i think he means tiny snapper?

i've heard that people often use small snapper as live bait.

i have seen a few dory caught up in the cowan but they are more prevalent in the pittwater , broken bay vacinity. and yes they are a very tasty fish so if you do catch them cook them really simple no fancy marinades.. i will surely be targeting some in the harbour this winter and looking foward to targeting some winter snapper hopefully they come in numbers. the hard thing about dory is that you may get one or two but other species such as the bream and reddies move in and in my experience this might sound weird but very little berley required otherwise it attracts to much rubbish just find bait schools and structures an fish a simple rig a few metres of the bottom. good luck.

boy i cant wait till my mates boat gets fixed. hopefully the harbour fires this season.

cheers pk...

Edited by pk-fishn

Guest Aron

Thanks for all your input

Im still curious in knowing the bag limit - i like to know all i can about a fish i plan to target even if (most likely) catch 2 - tops.

Guest Aron

Mate if you catch more than 2 you'll win a rod from kingrods.................and be a world champion.

If i catch 1 i will be over the moon, ill be that pleased and it would be worth all the effort and time iv spent reading/searching for infomation on them.

But, i did think that somebody on here would be able to answer the question on bag limits, or if you didnt know you would ( a ) also like to know, and not be so negitive as to say "mate you will be genius - a world champion if you catch more than 2 ( b ) just say you dont know

P.S. I am going to look at the kingrods and i will let you know which one i lwant

Edited by Aron

Guest Aron

a) = correct.

B)= bad idea

Chances are you'll catch 2 at the max.... unless your a genius.

I'd consider ...............er........................ a reddie over a yakka

BERLEY small amounts for as long as poss' to get the baitfish/reddies there....

Out of interest where do you think John Dory live?

Why night?

Also i was not sugesting that the best method was to use a stinger hook- i want your input to the best way, iv just worked out if you type b with a ) you get B)

Thank you for telling me a) through the top jaw - and to clip the the fins, and to be conservative on burley only enough to keep the bait around the boat

Guest Aron

If it's not on fisheries website I don't know . Trying to make a point that you wont bag out so who give a rats about the limit.

I don't mean to be negative more encouraging.... but never mind I will be more selective in who I help in future.

I don’t expect to bag out, and I will be extremely luck if I even catch 1 - as I have explained prior

You don't mean to be negative, you have been nothing but from your first post, I asked 2 questions and you replied with questions like where do you think they live and why night

I see that in your bio you say that you can be a bit abrasive - you are like 40 grit sandpaper!

I did thank you in my previous post for your advice, but frankly I got more information from pk-fishing who was very helpful indeed.

As for your comment about being more selective, please do

You may be the world’s best fisherman but you come across to be an arrogant pig who believes he is far superior to all others.