Stockton Beach (13-5-06)

Guest madsmc

Guest madsmc

Headed over to Stockton on Saturday for an afternoon/evening session at the soccer ground gutter. Arrived at about 3:30pm to find the place filled with fisho's, so I sat up near the trail for a bit to watch the action.

Just after 4pm, a couple of blokes decided to pull up stumps, so I took their spot and lobbed a ganged pillie out. Landed a 38cm flathead on the second cast, which came home for dinner. The sun was setting, the moon was rising, and the tide was coming up, so I was hopeful that the fishing would improve into the evening.

Unfortunately it wasn't to be. I didn't get another touch, and ended up heading home just before 8pm :beersmile:. Still, I bagged a nice eating size flatty, and witnessed one of the best sunsets I've seen for a while, so it wasn't all bad. Maybe next weekend will produce something special.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Guest madsmc

I thought that the tailor would at least put in a showing on the full moon. When I used to go rock fishing at night with a few mates, our best nights on the tailor were always on, or near to, a full moon. I've read somewhere, can't remember where, that they sit down near the bottom and use the moonlight above to spot prey before coming up and hitting it.

I don't know whether this theory also applies from the beach. I guess some more "research" is required. Well, that's what I will tell the lovely :wife: anyway.

Shane

Better luck next time Shane. I spose at least you got yourself a decent feed! I've seen flathead fillets pull 20 bucks a kilo on my way back from work!

And re the sunset...'I don't fish to catch fish'...well that's my excuse anyway :1prop:

Mike

I went Saturday night too with full moon, under the bridge stockton side, no bites either.

My mate went to stockton 3am saturday morning up near the signa and landed fair few tailor.

I dont know how you caught a flatty off stockton, i've never caught one yet, good job.

Edited by union

Guest madsmc

I dont know how you caught a flatty off stockton, i've never caught one yet, good job.

I've taken a few off the beach now. Whenever there's a sweep running parallel to the beach I usually get flathead. That's probably due to the sweep moving the bait along, and eventually it moves across the flatties lie.

Shane