Slazenger Fishing Rods

frankman

Hi, My friends Father worked at Slazenger and left in 68, When he passed away he left my m8 two Slazenger fishing rods 1) is a three peice combo (looks like a black fish rod) and 2) the other is a two peice surf rod! He wants two have them done up but wasn't sure if they were worth anything as they are over 37 yo and in very good condition, and some times you can decrease value by restoring.Can anyone help with this? Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Craig

Hi Craig,

Your mate probably has a couple of collector items there!

Slazenger made and sold some of the earliest hollow fibreglass rods available on the Australian market in the early 1960s. Up until then, most anglers used solid fibreglass, rangoon cane and split cane rods. I kid you not!

The Australian made Slazenger rods are, however, unlikely to compare well to even the cheapest fibreglass rods you can buy today. Due to the state of technology at that time, they would be very heavy and slow actioned. So I doubt whether it's worth your mate spending money to have them done-up.

Your mate might be better off advertising them on E-bay. There might just be a collector in Australia, or somewhere elsewhere in the World, who has been searching for such items to add to his tackle collection. :biggrin2:

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Yeh I have one of those Slazenger rods marked "No15 Deluxe - Genuine Tubular Fibreglass". My dad's old blackfish rod complete with chromed brass ferrules and perished green rubber butt cap.

Would also be curious to know if its collectable. Dont think I could sell it anyway, nice to hang on to a few memeories.

John

They would look great hanging on a wall all done up. If they have sentimental value why not. resale probably wont ever be great in Aust though.

Whoops! Good point Allen. I assumed the mate was wondering whether to spend money to do the rods up for fishing, overlooked the sentimental value and that he might be a collector. Sorry Craig.

Regards,

Bob

No prob! I'm not sure if there is sentimental value or not! I was thinking along the lines of, if they were worth a bit then maybe sell em and buy better!!!!

Craig

ebaying them as is would be the best bet to make a few bob out of them. Dont get over

excited by the $ you will end up with though . you would be very lucky if you made your money back if you have them restored for sale.

Edited by allen glover