Taking A Good Fishing Photo

Gibbofisho

Righto, i thought i'd start a topic to be used as a collaboration of tips on how to take a great fish pic, I'll start.

Try and take the pic as soon as you land it in the boat before it is dispatched (if that's where it is destined)

And hold the fish clearly, makeing the fish the center of the picture, also try and include a little background, but trying to not give away any location, but keeping yourself and the fish the main attraction.

Anyone else?

Smile :biggrin2: even if its a little fish.

If you are releasing the fish hold it appropriatley.

The person taking the photo should have the sun behind them but not cast a shadow over the fish and use a flash during the day, the light will reflect of the fish and bring out extra colours.

Read the instructions that come with your camera so you can take advantage of it's features to produce a great image. It's worth the effort to get familiar with your camera after all if you get a great fish you do want a great picture to remember it with not a blurred underexposed pic.

Like Sharky said use the flash in daylight to fill in the light. Makes a big difference.

Agreed. Also if the camera has some manual features. It can make a whole lot of difference to the pic.

Basic knoledge and use of Apature, iso and shutter speed can go a long way for the finished image.

cheers

most of the modern cameras have different settings such as indoor, outdoor, cloudy etc..

Best thing to do is to pre-set with a particular setting for day (outdoor is usually on most cameras and works well) before u go out fishing. This way u dont have to be fudging around with settings when you land your beautiful fish. Just land the fish, take the picture and release.

beautiful :biggrin2:

yes smiling is a must, well at least look like ur having fun :thumbup:

How the hell wouldnt you smile while fishing :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2: and if you scored one worthy of a pic unless it was a catfish :mad3: you couldnt help yourself unless you jaw was broken :074:

Cheers Swordfisherman

I often like to try to include something like some of the rod or reel in the photo, it adds a bit of perspective and adds to the scene.

Also I think taking a photo of the fish on a bit of an angle, along the body from the head can also produce a very nice pic.

Peter

Guest Saqa

I knew it :risata: You need to go to the smile doctor mate

Cheers Stewy

you will be all smiles at the beer social for sure if we go the ox

Guest johblow

Try putting the lure/plastic in aswell, unless its a secret :tease:

Oh, you can't be suggesting that some of us may catch a fish on bait, and then stuff a placcy in its gob for the photo?! :tease::074:

Guest madsmc

post-802-1148460573_thumb.jpg

Wasn't that shot taken just before Chris started full time work and couldn't go fishing during the week anymore? :1prop: Smile Chris :biggrin2:

My tips for camera usage:

1) Learn how to use the basic functions of the camera (at least), and if you are fishing with a mate, make sure he/she knows how to use you camera properly.

2) Always have a spare set of batteries. Murphy's law states that batteries die just before the fish of the day is landed.

3) Be mindful of the surrounding light conditions, shadows etc.

4) In close up shots, focus on the fishes eye.

5) And one that I'm working on a lot fishing solo, learn to use the timer for self + fish portraits.

Shane

:1fishing1:

:mad3::mad3::mad3::ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

Awwwwwwwwwww come on Chris ,think about all the fishing gear you can buy and never use :074:

When it comes time to retire you can fund your retirement with all that quality gear when you are 65 :074:

Cheers Stewy

That will be in how many decades ?????

2) Always have a spare set of batteries. Murphy's law states that batteries die just before the fish of the day is landed.

In thedbo a mate and I even had a spare camera so we had one each. It was great until I was holding it for him whilst he was fishing and fell into the water with both cameras :1badmood: . Of course not long after that we caught some nice fish. :05:

Peter