Help With Braid

Bloo62

Hi Guys,

Have just loaded some 4 lb Fireline braid onto my Shimano 4000 reel. I have never used this before as I have always used Mono. I plan to try some SP's and probably bait as well. A few questions......hopefully some of you regular users can advise

Are there any special ways to rig this up?

Am I supposed to just tie onto the braid or sould I use a mono leader?

Any other tips?

Hi Guys,

Have just loaded some 4 lb Fireline braid onto my Shimano 4000 reel. I have never used this before as I have always used Mono. I plan to try some SP's and probably bait as well. A few questions......hopefully some of you regular users can advise

Are there any special ways to rig this up?

Am I supposed to just tie onto the braid or sould I use a mono leader?

Any other tips?

Gdayyyyyyy mate ,you will need a leader of some description ie. flurocarbon .There are many brands to choose from .I personally use vanish and have been doing so for around 4 yrs and never had a problem with it .Around 2 metres of trace will be fine in the 6 to 20 lb range depending on what species you are targeting .Just join the two together with a uni knot and away you go .Jig heads and plastics will be learned over time ,but you cant beat the good old bass minnow in the 3 inch range for starters and 1/32 to 1/4 0z jigs heads .They will get you a whole range of fish from Eps to Kings and everything in between

Good luck with your SP EXPERIENCE and get ready to be hit by the bug and spend all your hard earned money on every plastic that has ever been made :074:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Gdayyyyyyy mate ,you will need a leader of some description ie. flurocarbon .There are many brands to choose from .I personally use vanish and have been doing so for around 4 yrs and never had a problem with it .Around 2 metres of trace will be fine in the 6 to 20 lb range depending on what species you are targeting .Just join the two together with a uni knot and away you go .Jig heads and plastics will be learned over time ,but you cant beat the good old bass minnow in the 3 inch range for starters and 1/32 to 1/4 0z jigs heads .They will get you a whole range of fish from Eps to Kings and everything in between

Good luck with your SP EXPERIENCE and get ready to be hit by the bug and spend all your hard earned money on every plastic that has ever been made :074:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Thanks for that. I thought so, but why do you need the leader, what purpose does it serve? Sorry, what is flurocarbon? You are not talking nylon are you? Or are you? Will obviously have to practice my uni knot....

Thanks for that. I thought so, but why do you need the leader, what purpose does it serve? Sorry, what is flurocarbon? You are not talking nylon are you? Or are you? Will obviously have to practice my uni knot....

Ok ,the leader is there to mask the fireline profile ,most flurocarbon is clear and cannot be seen in the water hence you make a presentation as natural as possible with just a jighead and Sp which hopefully will get taken with out fuss .The next reason is abrasion resistance ,fireline and other braids are strong but easily broken when nicked on a rock or some other sharp object when taught with a fish on ,Flurocarbon is heavy and takes your presentation down in the water column for you and its abrasion resistance is good

Hope that helps you out

Cheers Stewy

Edited by Guest

Just adding to what Stewy has already said about flurocarbon.

One of the reasons why Flurocarbon is so effective is because the refractive index of both flurocarbon and water are very similar. Thats why it is nearly invisible underwater.

Guest madsmc

Some good advice there. The only difference with my setup is that I use a 5 turn surgeons knot to join the braid to the mono or flouro leader.

If you do a google search on fishing knots you'll find some pages that have illustrated walk throughs on how to tie a lot of useful knots.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Some good advice there. The only difference with my setup is that I use a 5 turn surgeons knot to join the braid to the mono or flouro leader.

If you do a google search on fishing knots you'll find some pages that have illustrated walk throughs on how to tie a lot of useful knots.

Shane

Hi Shane ,does that knot you use travel through the guides ok as sometimes the uni gets hung up

Cheers Stewy

Btw Jewhunter is using a knot I have never heard of and reckons it great when using braid to leader ,when he teaches me it I will report back on how its going

If you read this Grant let us now what it is mate :biggrin2: maybe its the one you are using Shane ???

Guest madsmc

I haven't had any problems with it catching on the guides yet. When tightened it comes down to a pretty small knot, and it hasn't failed me yet. Give it a try Stewy and see if it works OK for you, I picked it up off the Berkley DVD from memory.

Keen to see what knots Grant and others are using. Love learning a new knot every now and then :biggrin2:

Shane

I haven't had any problems with it catching on the guides yet. When tightened it comes down to a pretty small knot, and it hasn't failed me yet. Give it a try Stewy and see if it works OK for you, I picked it up off the Berkley DVD from memory.

Keen to see what knots Grant and others are using. Love learning a new knot every now and then :biggrin2:

Shane

Maybe a post is in order to see what we all use as our joining knots and terminal tackle knots

I will definately have a look in Geoff Wilsons Book

Edited by Guest