Roos Performance This Morning? Holland 1 - Australia 1

loomylover

Hey Guys,

Not sure how many of you are as soccer..err football mad as i am, but did anyone watch the roos in action last night/this morning? On paper the 1-1 draw with the dutch looks very promising, but some parts of the performance were far from it! :1badmood:

Defensively in the first half they were woeful and the dutch really touched them up - 1-0 at halftime was a very fortunate result i think when it could well have been 3 or 4. Dukes was unlucky not to bag a goal though (top save van der sar.)

Second half however the boys adjusted to the dutch tempo and it wasn't a bad match. We scored the only goal we looked like scoring however with viduka getting pulled down in the box - and doing what i feared he would..miss his second successive penalty for his county. Never fear though, trusty Timmy Cahill is always present to slot home loose balls in the box and 1-1 it was.

On the whole, we stepped into the domain of one of the classiest teams on the planet and they showed us why, we held our nerve well and come away with a point. All the errors are hopefully out of the system now prior to the world cup.

On another note - schwarzer was excellent - with countless top saves that kept us in it.

HUGE result though for Australian football and gives the boys confidence as Japan loom.. :thumbup::thumbup:

FIRE UP BOYS - JAPAN IS A WEEK AWAY!! :1yikes::1yikes:

Edited by loomylover

Yeah i thought that the 1-1 final score while flattering for us, is a excellent result!

Like Loomy i am football crazy ( being his neighbour as kids i think he can thank me for introducing the game to him :1prop: ) and never miss an oppurtunity to watch my beloved Roo's play , even if it is cold and dark 3am kickoff times.. i have stocked up on NO DOZ tabs so i can stay awake during the WORLD CUP!

anyways back to the game, we played well in patches, i thought our defence was superb but we were clearly outclassed by a better team. Still its a boost to know that even though we are outplayed we can still be competitive and push teams hard. ( i would of been devastated if VAN PERSIES free kick at the death had went in ... SOMEBODY BUY THAT SIDE POST A :beersmile: )

Also was frustrated at what i call the DD ( dutch dive) and there is no way WILKSHIRE deserved to be sent off!

Oh and great to see Timmy and Schwarz in good form

I’m not a soccer fan; I prefer league but try and support Aussies in any of their sporting endeavors :thumbup: . To me the Dutch seemed to be in cruise mode and Australia scramberling for dear life and were gob smacked when Australia scored :1yikes: , it would have been nice to knocked the arrogant sods off. :074:

Being a proud aussie of dutch descent I thought it would be a good test for the aussies

I dont think you can read to much into friendlies as far as results go Guus started the game with an attacking style of game that left space in the defence for the dutch to exploit Schwarzer kept us in it Second half we played more defensive to let them come at us and try and catch them on the break especially towards the end when he brought on two quicker strikers Good save by Van de Sar off Viduka but the ball hitting the ground well in front gave Van de Sar the time to get across to it

Bring on the world cup :yahoo: