Canoe Trip... Preparation

Jethro

With a bit of research it looks like we have nailed down our trip on the Clarence..

For our first trip we will be giving the rough stuff a miss. We will start at the bottom of the gorge and head down to Copmanhurst.... All going well we will be heading off late October / Early November.

This being our first ever real canoe trip (should take around 5 days) I am after some tips from people that have done this type of trip before....

I'm after anything you would usually take on a trip like this... no matter how obvious it may seem... Also what are some of the pitt falls you have come across..

Alll help is appreciated :1prop:

G'day Jethro.

I've done a couple of "canoe hikes" myself. What you need for one person is (you did mention no matter how obvious, so I'll list it all):

1. CANOE + Tent

2. Sleeping Bag, Mat and Hot Water Bottle

3. Hike Boots + Runners + Footwear to wear in the Canoe/Get wet

4. Sleeping Bag Inner Sheet(s)

5. Themals (x 2 pairs) + Beanie

6. Underwear and socks (x 4 pairs)

7. Drizabone or similar + Gloves

8. Fleeces (100wt, 300wt, 500wt)

9. Shirts (x 3)

10. Shorts & Shirts (x 2 pairs, plus the ones you'll wear when setting off)

11. Tracksuit/Army Pants (x 2 pairs)

12. Compass & Map (marked with route/campsites/bearings)

13. Radio or Sattelite Phone and Mobile Phone

14. Life Jacket + possibly EPIRB or the like?

15. First Aid Kit (and knowledge of how to use one)

16. Food Portions (remember, you mightn't be able to eat bass every night :biggrin2: ) + ingredients (generally non-perishable)

17. Water (PLENTY)

18. (If not bringing PLENTY of water) Water filtration equipment + location of fresh water source

19. A (fishing :biggrin2: ) book/magazine (in case the weather turns rotten half way up river)

20. Camping Stool, Swimmers and Towel

21. Trangia or other hot food-preparation device + tools/fuel

22. Matches/Lighter/Similar

23. Swiss Army Knife or similar

24. Large Hike Pack (40L +)

25. PLENTY of garbage bags (to waterproof pack, clothes etc. and for rubbish etc.)

26. Sunglasses (polarised :biggrin2: ), Sunscreen + Hat(s)

27. Knowledge of the area/plans in case of emergency etc.

28. Torches and batteries (PLENTY of batteries)

29. Headtorch for night fishing

30. Cutlery, pots, pans, billy & means of cleaning utensils, pots, pans, billy etc.

31. Sterilising ointment

32. Powdered hot chocolate, powdered milk, tea, coffee

33. Pooper-scooper and toilet paper

34. A mate who can cook/tell good jokes/stories

35. Fishing gear! :yahoo:

I know that it looks like a lot (and I've probably forgotten something - please add to the list, Raiders), but you'll find a good use for everything listed. Make sure that before you leave, you take AMPLE fishing gear and everything that you would deem necessary for such a trip. Remember that at times, you're likely to be COMPLETELY isolated. Make plans for any unforseen circumstances - ANY SCENARIO (within reason :biggrin2: ). Make sure you tell park rangers etc. of your plans if you're planning to pass through national park. Inform family or someone close to you where you will be at each leg of the journey and at what time. A CPR/First Aid course would also be advisable, and a intimate knowledge of canoeing inc. strokes, emergency situations, evasive action etc. If you're not an incredibly strong swimmer (or sometimes just to be on the safe side), a life jacket may be required. EPIRB maybe as well?

Remember that at this time, it’s going to be DAMN cold at night, so plan for this. The fleeces, Drizabone , gloves, thermals, socks, beanie, hot chocolate and hot water bottle will help with this. KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO BUILD AND LIGHT A FIRE IS IMPERATIVE!!!

The more I think about it, the more advice comes to me. This thread will not die. Until my next post,

Good luck, Jethro!

Signing off,

Flattieman.

With a bit of research it looks like we have nailed down our trip on the Clarence..

For our first trip we will be giving the rough stuff a miss. We will start at the bottom of the gorge and head down to Copmanhurst.... All going well we will be heading off late October / Early November.

This being our first ever real canoe trip (should take around 5 days) I am after some tips from people that have done this type of trip before....

I'm after anything you would usually take on a trip like this... no matter how obvious it may seem... Also what are some of the pitt falls you have come across..

Alll help is appreciated :1prop:

g'day Jethro I have a dvd you can have and it will show you a lot of pittfalls you may come across I think it is called DELIVERANCE. :074::074::074:

g'day Jethro I have a dvd you can have and it will show you a lot of pittfalls you may come across I think it is called DELIVERANCE. :074::074::074:

:Funny-Post::Funny-Post:

If you hear "Banjo's".. then paddle like there is no tommorrow!!!!!

bloody hell flattieman write a novel why dont ya... :1yikes:

cheers on the valuable info :thumbup:

CFD

:074::074::074: I've had some of the best times of my life during six months in Kangaroo Valley. I could write a novel. No probs re: the info - I'm glad it could help some people. Remember, Raiders (and I know it does sound DAMN cliched, but) SAFETY FIRST.

Flattieman.

Given that a mobiles tendancy to fag out is in direct proportion to the need to make the call the number one safety device you need you will need be ALL the 1:25000 topographic maps of the area you will be traveling through.

You will also need to know how to read them epsecially if you are going to use GPS as

the numbers from one dont directly transfer to the numbers from another. better still learn how to read them the good old fashioned way with a compass

Thanks guys... thats the stuff...

The trip will be about 45-50km of fairly easy paddling. We plan on doing it over 5 days. I figure 10km a day with plenty of fishing should make for fairly easy going... does that sound about right??

Flattieman - Great list. There are a couple of things there I hadn't thought of.. We are going around October / November so hopefully it wont be to cold up there..

George - the banjo is packed ... along with the iron undies.. so hopefully we wont get to much trouble off the locals

Clutch - after fishing gear camer will be the 1st thing packed... I just bought myself one of the Olympus water / shock proof ones. So there will be plenty of photos.

Allen - We picked up the toppos this week, just to get an idea what we are in for. My mate is pretty good at reading them but I will have to have a crash course between now and then

I have my 1st Aid certificate and we will be borrowing a mates EPIRB just to be safe.

One other question - When you guys do an extended trip like this do you share a canoe of have 1 each.... Its a fairly easy stretch of river with only 2 or 3 small rapids.. These can get a bit tricky if the river is up a bit but still easy enough for a novice... so I have been told :1prop:

Jethro

As we have discussed this not to bad country below the gorge but there are plenty of areas where you will still need to walk you canoe through either sand or rock bars. I have an australias swagman 3 person canoe. It give me plenty of room for storage but depending on your craft room to carry what you want will be the issue.

I use small water tight blue plastic brums to store all the gear I do not want to get wet. Get yourself some wetsuit or rock fishing boots. This area is not realy remote any more and I think mobile phone coverage may be ok, check with your provider just incase you need to contact the outside world or the :wife: .

Keep me posted. If it fits and it is OK with you I might tag along. My family live in Ballina there are some good bass fishing areas further up as well.

If you wanted a shorter trip closer to home to trail run. Putt your canoe into the Kurauh River upstream from Boral next to a low level brigde at Washpool and then come down to Boral this should take about 2 days.

Happy Planning

Kingpig

G'day Kingpin

Thanks for all your help so far..

I spoke with Neil Winters at the gorge yesterday... very nice bloke and really helpful.

Neither of us own canoes that are suitable for the trip. So we will be hiring them.. Probably from the Nymboida Canoe centre... Not sure what size they are but will be calling them later today.

At this stage we are heading up late October or early November... depends on work. The plan is to spend a couple of days at the gorge and do a couple of day trips up river and explore the gorge a bit... After that we will spend 5 days down to Copmanhurst..... If you are keen you are more than welcome to come along... I will let you know when we have some firm dates

Thanks again

All this talk of what is needed on a canoe trip and yet not one mension of a paddle :1prop:

:074: .... Good call

I couple of teh boys mentioned its worth taking a spare in case you snap a blade or loose it...

When you guys do an extended trip like this do you share a canoe of have 1 each.... Its a fairly easy stretch of river with only 2 or 3 small rapids.. These can get a bit tricky if the river is up a bit but still easy enough for a novice... so I have been told :1prop:

Jethro, I usually share a canoe. I guess it's just personal preference, though.

I use small water tight blue plastic brums to store all the gear I do not want to get wet. Get yourself some wetsuit or rock fishing boots.

If you wanted a shorter trip closer to home to trail run. Putt your canoe into the Kurauh River upstream from Boral next to a low level brigde at Washpool and then come down to Boral this should take about 2 days.

Two very good suggestions, Jethro. Blue plastic drums are very good, and you might want to go on a practice trip before the biggun (to get used to the arrangements). This might also act as some training on the different paddle strokes for rapids etc.

I couple of teh boys mentioned its worth taking a spare in case you snap a blade or loose it...

DAMN - I said I'd forget something. As Clutch said, a good, waterproof camera is great, as is a spare paddle. Also remember insect repellant such as "Bushman's".

Flattieman.