Learning To Fly Cast

Farma

Hi All top site you all have here.

I just got a fly rod the other day and now need to learn how to cast.

It is a Jarvis Walker Blackridge. 6/7 weight.

When I was casting all the line would just land in front of me about 6 to 8 feet away and all coiled up.

any advice would be a great help.

Thanks

Farma

:1welcomeani: Hi unfortunately i can give you any tips, but you have just taken up a very hard art of casting that will ages to get down pat . Im sure there are other keen fly fishos on here that can give some hot tips on getting your casting started :thumbup: . Welcome to the site

When I was casting all the line would just land in front of me about 6 to 8 feet away and all coiled up.

Thanks

Farma

Sounds like you are not letting the line staighten out on the back-cast. I've been making the same mistake myself... :1badmood:

I've joined the local sydney flyfishing club and I've signed up for some lessons with a casting instructor.

I've only just started out and I thought that I may as well learn to cast properly from the start rather than pick up bad habits to unlearn. I have enough of those already... :biggrin2:

If you have the chance, it's well worth the investment.

Cheers,

Richie.

Oh Yeah, :1welcomeani:

hi Farma:

I just found out that there are great series articles and video clips about fly casting this month at:

http://flyfisherman.com

by left kreh and others which is definitely working taking a look.

There is more technical information at: http://sexyloops.co.uk which can be little overwhelming sometimes but make the point to show there is no one way to cast.

I would suggest starting with little short casts of just keeping the line in the air and try to make sure the back cast straightens out by looking back. One very basic exercise is have the line lay in front of you and do a backcast, stop and let the line straighten out and do a front stroke. Try to see what happens if you stop at 1, 2 and 3PM on the clock and how quickly you stop it; observe what type of loops you get.

It's best to stay simple and try to feel the rod load and unload in almost effortless manner so you develop a sense of timing and feeling for the fly rod so to expend least amount of energy at the end. Stiffer tippy rods require shorter punch strokes and softer rods work best with longer strokes, etc. So it all depends.

Have fun and good luck, I think fly casting is half the fun of fly fishing.

Ted

hi:

I copied this from one of the articles: my comments are in (**)

Casting Basics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fundamentals you need to know before you get started.

Introduction | Aiming the Cast | Getting Started

In spin casting the weight of the lure pulls the line off the reel. In fly casting the weight of the line carries the fly to the fish. In fly casting you must learn to use the rod to cast the weight of the fly line. You can do that quickly by following five basic principles of good fly casting:

The line (and fly) goes in the direction you point the rod tip during the cast. (** if you don't let the line straighten out in the backcast, line as whole don't move much as a whole and you don't get distance because all motion is being devoted to straightening the line out during the initial forhand cast while the line keeps dropping. If line is not straight the tip can't move the line forward very far).

Good fly casting is not strength-related; it is timing-related. Thus you must practice the timing of the cast to become a good caster. How much practice? At least 15 minutes a day to become a good caster in a month.

Proper stroking and stopping of the rod are fundamental to good fly casting. The caster loads energy into the rod during the casting stroke. The rod releases the energy into the line in the cast. The caster loads a little energy (a short, low-energy stroke) into the top of the rod for short casts; he loads a lot of energy (a short, powerful stroke) into the middle and bottom of the rod for a long cast. (** actually the bend of rod don't hold much energy itself; try bending a fly rod with line and let it go and the line won't go too far. I.e. a fly rod can't cast line by itself.).

Casting arcs (the arc the rod makes in the air during the cast) are small for short casts and large for long casts. (** try to keep the tip in a straight path much as possible because line goes where the rod tip goes in all cases).

Stopping the rod after the casting stroke is critical to forming the casting loop, and it allows the rod to unload, thus casting the line. (** the key is to watch the tip if it drops too far you get a wide loop; but, sometimes you want a wide loop! Stop the tip quickly.).

Fly fishers seldom need to cast more than 50 feet when fishing. Yet becoming proficient at long-distance casting can improve all your casting. You should learn to cast short (30 feet) first and then practice at greater and greater distances.

** for me I guess the key points are to watch the tip and try to take all the slack out of the line during the backand and forehand cast.

Cheers,

Ted

• 1 month later...
Guest Big-Banana

I remember when I first started flyfishing, some members invited me to a rod builders meet, so I attended and learned more in 2 hrs with them then I did off all the videos and documents I had read,

Guest lbgking

I have tried the art of fly fishing in the Nepean many a time.

After 1/2 hour of tangles and hitting myself in the back of the head, I usualy throw a cricket under a float and bag a Bass. :1prop:

Guest bluecod

I remember when I first started flyfishing, some members invited me to a rod builders meet, so I attended and learned more in 2 hrs with them then I did off all the videos and documents I had read,

I think Farma is now on the right track with some solid advice - but I will add - don't practise with a hook on.

So Anthony! how is the flycasting going? have you managed to snag that dollie you were busting to catch - unfortunately the rodbuilders have disbanded due to the stalwarts moving to distant locations but with that fly outfit you started with I think rodbuilding would be the least of your worries. That was a top setup!

Guest Big-Banana

I think Farma is now on the right track with some solid advice - but I will add - don't practise with a hook on.

So Anthony! how is the flycasting going? have you managed to snag that dollie you were busting to catch - unfortunately the rodbuilders have disbanded due to the stalwarts moving to distant locations but with that fly outfit you started with I think rodbuilding would be the least of your worries. That was a top setup!

Mate it was going well! Then every time we got out wide it was too damn breezy for it :thumbdown: We snagged dollies just not on the fly, I think we will head out next season and have a good shot though.

Shame about the club too, it was a top little gathering. Hope all is well :1fishing1:

Good advice with no hook as well, I learnt the hard way with a couple in the back :mad3:

Guest bluecod

Mate it was going well! Then every time we got out wide it was too damn breezy for it :thumbdown:

Position the boat so that if you're right handed, you have the wind coming over your left shoulder - and don't try too hard for distance until you have it all sorted out - bring the dollies to the vicinity of the boat and then have a crack at them.

Guest Big-Banana

Position the boat so that if you're right handed, you have the wind coming over your left shoulder - and don't try too hard for distance until you have it all sorted out - bring the dollies to the vicinity of the boat and then have a crack at them.

Good advice, to be honest we fished in some pretty dodgy conditions and they were deeper every time we had a crack, but will definately take that on board!

Good advice, to be honest we fished in some pretty dodgy conditions and they were deeper every time we had a crack, but will definately take that on board!

Hi all,

this is my first post on this site.

My advice to any beginner with flycasting is to "absolutely" get lessons. Videos and articles are great re-inforcement but are no substitute for proper face to face instruction. It is not hard to flycast properly, just harder if not shown. There is not really much difference to a golf swing in that regard.

I have yet to meet a self taught caster that has not been detrimented by bad technique. That's not to say it cannot be done, but nothing beats having a trained eye watch your casting stroke. Even Tiger Woods has a golf coach.

With regard to people having problems with the wind when casting, I suggest learning the water haul.

A proper water haul will see a long cast executed on the forward or back cast with a strong wind blowing across your casting arm............it's actually a very simple cast and quite effortless.

Happy swoffing,

Justin Duggan

Hey Farma

Get in touch with Justin D and go and get some lessons from him.

He's one of the best Fly Fishermen in the city.

If he can't get you going ...

:1welcomeani:

Welcome to the site JD fantastic to know you are cruising on fishraider.

cheers

inhlanzi

Edited by inhlanzi

Thanks mate............will drop by soon.

mmmmm, Jew hunter, time for Jew on fly I reckon!!

JD

Yes mate, that is a goal of mine.

I've got them on bait, lures (p.b. 22kgs) & plastics.

Fly is the only way I haven't caught one so it is a must do.

I've got just the spot when the time is right. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Thanks

Farma

Hi Farma, whereabouts do you live? If you live in the inner-west region, perhaps I could meet you up near Rodd Point for some casting practice on Sunday morning...