In Praise Of Tailor

Flattieman

After seeing Mako's MASSIVE tailor, I set out to see how big they grow. I have seen another one in a magazine that was reportedly 97cm, but there was no ruler beside it in the pic, and it wasn't weighed. So, I began to Google. I soon found out that the Americans also have tailor ("bluefish" :wacko: ) over there. For anyone who's interested, the scientific name for tailor is Pomatomus saltatrix, and the maximum size differs from source to source. Here's a few Aussie pics first:

Caught at Laurieton:

px-tailor.JPG

A fine pair (bigger one went 9.3kg apparently), caught at Albany:

post-1466-1151317934_thumb.jpg

ON TO THE YANKEE VERSIONS...

Description - "huge":

post-1466-1151318242_thumb.jpg

31lb 12oz:

bigblue.jpg

Cast of a biggun':

captain-dick-hamel.jpg

:1yikes::1yikes::1yikes::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Time to break the records, Raiders!

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

ya had to make mako's fish look small didnt ya haha :tease:

top pics mate

Ben

Nah - not my intentions. I was just gobsmacked that they grow to the above sizes - thought other Raiders would be too. Mako's fish is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!

Flattieman.

:thumbup: nice work Flattie, you do the hard yards and research when ever you see something of intrest and bring it to our attention

Ive seen a photo of a tailor in an old fishin mag, it was caught in shark bay WA and went 14lb

...and it looked a hell of a lot bigger than that so called 9.3kg job.

I'll see if i can find that mag, and post pics if i do

Guest madsmc

The black and white photo of the 31lb 12oz (14.4kg) fish in flattiemans' post above is the current IGFA world record. The anglers name is James Hussey, and the fish was landed on January 30 1972, at Hatteras, North Carolina.

According to the ANSA site, the Australian record for Tailor is 12.1kg taken on November 3 1981, at Shark Bay, WA.

The interesting thing about the two records is the line class. The 14.4kg IGFA record was taken on 24kg line, while the 12.1kg ANSA record was taken on 6kg. I know which battle I would prefer. :biggrin2:

Looking throught the ANSA records for Tailor, it looks like Shark Bay in WA is a hotspot for big choppers.

Shane

:1fishing1:

G`day Fellas ,

On a barge trip to Frazier Island sometime around 1980/85 , A Chap showed me a photo of a Tailor weighing 18+ LB , caught in one of those Frazier Tailor tournaments .

The Barge operator trumped that one , and pointed to a Photo in a cabinet of the Island Record ( from memory it went about 22LB or higher ).

I remembere that there was a $200.00 reward to beat that mark , but we never caught one single fish over the 5 kilo mark in the entire 8 weeks we stayed there .

Mick

G`day Fellas ,

On a barge trip to Frazier Island sometime around 1980/85 , A Chap showed me a photo of a Tailor weighing 18+ LB , caught in one of those Frazier Tailor tournaments .

The Barge operator trumped that one , and pointed to a Photo in a cabinet of the Island Record ( from memory it went about 22LB or higher ).

I remembere that there was a $200.00 reward to beat that mark , but we never caught one single fish over the 5 kilo mark in the entire 8 weeks we stayed there .

Mick

Imagine the Jews you could pull with that size livey,Mick :1yikes:

Cheers Stewy

G`day Fellas ,

Stew , Mate , I think if I caught a Tailor that size , after a quick photo shoot , I would just have to let Him ? her go .

T`would seem a pity to do a fish of that size in , don`t ya think .

I wonder how big they do grow to in OZ .

Mick