Windang Beach Report

mako1

Arrived at Windang beach at about 5pm to be greated by a good looking gutter but a very flat sea.

Decided to give it a go anyway.Set up the rods and was cutting the baits up with the new knife,when I cut a little bit more then the bait and put a nice slice on my middle finger :1badmood: .Taped my finger up and cast out my baits.Again the bream were'nt biting(has anyone had success on bream,at night,down this way lately?) but caught a just legal tailor which I put out live for a jewfish.

Continued on to catch medium sized tailor and salmon as the tide rose.I found that these fish were biting better

on a paternoster rig then a running sinker rig.I think it was because the running sinker rigs were getting burried in the sand.

I then got a better hit on a garfish and after a short fight I beached a 3kg tailor.Things went quiet after that

and the sea really flattened out.Continued to fish until the tide change when the 10kg outfit bent right over and the drag screamed.I grabbed the rod with the fish still running.I had to do something as I was running out of line and a spool job was close.I tightened the drag abit and changed the line angle.This turned the fish and I started to get some line back.It then decided to take off up the beach with another blistering run,me

running after it.About 100m later it stopped and again ran out to sea nearly spooling me for the second time.I could smell the oil from the drag washers heating up.Thoughts of big jewfish filled my head as I could feel headshakes on the end of the line.Ten minutes more of to-ing and fro-ing I slid the the beast up the beach.

I shined the headlight down and all excitement left me when I saw an estimated 15kg eagle ray :ranting2:.

I'd hooked it in the side flap so that's why I thought I could feel headshakes.It was a great fight though and sure got the adrenalin pumping.

Kept the 3kg tailor and a couple of smaller ones for a feed and let the rest go.

Was a pretty good night considering the conditions.

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

nice session there Mako!

i really fell like some tailor!!!

:drool:

where is Windang beach close to anyways!

up north or down south??

I miss beach fishing :(

couldn't afford the juice for the car because of my :ranting2: $350 motor service 2morrow and the :wife: shopping bill! :05:

looks like more overtime for me!

Edited by Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

Thanks guys.

Dont shoot da chinamen Windang beach is about 10 to 15 mins south of wollongong.I think its propper name is Perkins beach.It's a long beach and ends where Lake Illawarra enters the sea at Windang island.I've been beach fishing for just under 2 years and have had most of my success down there,especially last year.

It's good for bream,tailor,salmon,whiting,flathead,jewfish and sharks.