Botany Bay Today

Flightmanager

G'day Raiders ,

#1 son and I hit the Bay today , started off at the 3rd runway ( 34R) and couldnt even get a hint of a bite , so we tried the big runway ( 34L) with much the same result. So off to the other side of the bay , spent a while there , only 1 small tailor and a few even smaller bream saw the inside of the boat. tried Moly Point , and # 1 son pulled in a small red fish , with fan like fins radiating all over its ugly little body , any ideas as to species ?

Gave up that possy after a while ( it was starting to get expensive tackle wise , why doesnt someone get rid of all those nasty , jaggy , tackle thieving rocks and lay some concrete? :074: ) and went back to the 3rd runway for another go . All quiet for a while , then the water erupted with about 30 100Kg + sea creatures !!! 2 Pods of dolphins were drag racing each other across the bay. Something I have never seen in real life , these are amazing creatures , Brett and I just sat and stared in disbelief and awe .

Decided to head back to the ramp , but I decided I would try a position that had looked promising from the road , glad we did , caught 8 fish in about 1.5 hours , nothing we could keep , but kept the competition between father and son going !!!

Grand total for the day 14 fish , 5 species : Tailor , Bream , Flathead , Puffer fish and unknown butt ugly red fish !! Didnt bring any fish home for the :wife: , but we enjoyed a great day out on the water !!

Ross .

Edited by Flightmanager

SOunds like it was a great day out with the son, my day yesterday was much the same with only livies able to be caught inside the bay. all the action seemed to be just outside and around the heads. water temp is very low though at only 15.3 degrees.

Still good fun to be out there though, top effort mate good diversity of fish.

cheers.

If the red fish had a greeny blue colour on its fan like fins it could be a gurnard.

Sounds like you had a good day on the water.

It's great to see dolphins in the wild,I have seem heaps of large pods swimming off Botany.

You should try around the drums if the runways are no good.I have always had success

there on bream and trevally on striped tuna cubes,worms and prawns.It can take a while for

the action to start sometimes,but just keep adding burley and the action wont be far away.