Finally!

nrperry

Greetings all fish Raiders.

I have bee following this site for about 3 months now and am enjoying reading all things Fishing.

As a young man i came from a yachting/boatbuilding background and spent all of my young teens on Pittwater, rain, hail or shine, summer and winter. At 14 i spent a season fishing at Broken Bay GFC on a boat called ''Head Office''.

Let’s just say it became an obsession and many a moment in the class room was spent day dreaming and sketching Marlin and Yellow fin tuna. I even witnessed my father battle a 250kg (est.) Striped Marlin standing up on 30lb for 2 1/2 hours till he was in tears and could barely hold on any more. He broke off and was pretty exhausted. We also boated plenty of smaller Marlin that year and i have the fun job of winching in stripies and Bonito for baits. I learned to rig the baits. My parents as far as i can tell had a falling out with the owner of the boat and that was the end of the obsession for me.

Not long after i joined one of our local surf clubs and my focus has been on rowing for almost 20 years. I am a local boat builder and manufacture these surfboats.

Two years ago my partner and i had our first child Alan. Since this event, i have found my life’s focus has changed some what and i have less interest in rowing and surf club and focus has changed back to all things fun i can do with my son. Fishing is high on the list. Building a center console runabout is up there on priority for me just now too.

Ok to the reason for this post.

FINALLY!!!

I have been studying every thing to do with SP's as you guys call them. I have DVD's, magazines and read this site and a box full of about 20 different squidgy and Gulps.

After months of study I went to the local and bought:

Berkley drop shot rod 7'

Penn international 2000 egg beater

4lb fire line pink

10lb siglon fluorocarbon leader

An array of jig heads.

I have been throwing these things here there and every where only to come up with nada or the feel of some red bream touching a pogy i threw in one day.

Until.

My father in law has a nice place on the water about 5 houses back from Stokes Pt in Careel Bay, Pittwater with a private wharf. I hear you guys all commenting Pittwater is dead and i was of that belief 20 years ago when i spent all my spare time down there.

I opened up a new packet of Berkley 2'' grubs pumpkin seed. First throw in under the Wharf next door hooked up on a red bream that i will assume came too close for a look at the lure as i chin hooked him.

Five throws later out the front i hooked into a 55cm flatty. Finally, payday! I fair dinkum thought it was never going to happen and the hook up was like a sweet golf shot. I must say i was disappointed with the go in the fish as i feel i easily winched it in even with 4lb line.

I know how big you guys are on pics but sorry none of the maiden fish and will get pics of others i subdue i promise.

To handle the flatty i stuck my thumb inside his mouth and grabbed his bottom lip like Bucshy and Starlo do, to which he rolled over and opened me up like a tin can. I was surprised but didn’t cry haha. The fish was de hooked and set free.

As i said after a fair while trying different SP's and retreives, and lets face it probably not the best time of year to start i came up trumps on SP’s.

Edited by nrperry

Yes sir ,one of the converted .It does take a while but now you have scored a fish they will come regularly for you now :biggrin2:

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider ,hope you enjoy and looking forward to more posts and a few pics in the not too distant future

Cheers Swordfisherman

:1welcomeani:

I remember my first fish on plastic and I think I always will, there is nothing like the feeling of succes.

Well done and keep it up.

Regards

Paul

Guest BBM Rick

Congrats on the first! Perhaps one of our Flattie experts (Flattieman, Little Flattie) could give you some tips on handling these awesome beasts? Keep into em mate!

Rick.

Flattie experts (Flattieman, Little Flattie)

That's me :biggrin2: . Mr expert, but you can call me sir :biggrin2: . I use the lip grip myself. Put your thumb in the flattie's mouth, gripping it firmly. Use your other hand to support the flattie's belly. It's quite comfortable and I've never been opened up, even on 70cm specimens. Then pose for some pics that you can stick on Fishraider and brag about :biggrin2: . Well done on the flattie on SPs. Hopefully it's the first of many more. ALWAYS USE A GLOVE!

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

I also use the thumb in mouth lip-grip with flatties and haven't had any trouble as long as the grip is firm and confident.

If the flattie senses any hesitation in your grip it will flick free and probably spike you whilst doing so. The trick is to get the thumb at least an inch inside its mouth and to not be afraid of gripping hard. The flatties teeth are abrasive but should not be able to break the skin.

Do not, however, try this method with Tailor. I still bear the scar of my younger, dumber years.

I also use the thumb in mouth lip-grip with flatties and haven't had any trouble as long as the grip is firm and confident.

If the flattie senses any hesitation in your grip it will flick free and probably spike you whilst doing so. The trick is to get the thumb at least an inch inside its mouth and to not be afraid of gripping hard. The flatties teeth are abrasive but should not be able to break the skin.

:dito: that. The grip MUST be firm. It will save you a lot of pain (and besides, you don't want to drop the flattie in the water due to a poor grip - an easy way to lose the fish of a lifetime).

Flattieman.