Stockton Beach 16/7/2006

Guest madsmc

Guest madsmc

Despite the windy conditions I decided to hit the beach at Stockton today to blood the new spin stick, and see if I could get a few of the sambo's that have been eluding me of late. I arrived at about 11am so I could fish through the top of the tide at around 12:30.

I threw a 20gm Raider around some nice looking gutters for about an hour and a half for zip. Covered plenty of ground heading north up the beach, tried lots of different retrieves and also varied the depth of retrieve, but to no avail. The water was pretty dirty, probably due to the poor weather on Saturday so I decided to change tack and put on a plastic.

Switched over to a six inch Atomic jerk minnow (Real Shad) with a 1/4oz TT jighead, and started working my way back along the beach. After about half an hour I registered a nice "thump thump" on the drop, waited for a second, then set the hook. After a spirited fight, especially in the shorebreak, a nice little soapy jew comes up to join me on the beach. :yahoo:

I'm absolutely over the moon with that effort! It may not be a massive jew, but it's a jew all the same. With all the hours I've put in throwing HB's and plastics around in the harbour, who would have thought my first jew on a lure would have come from the beach. :wacko: Roll on the big one! :biggrin2:

I kept at it for another hour, slowly working my way back to the car. Not much else happened except for a pod of dolphins coming through which probably attributed to the lack of action.

This little guy had me scratching my head though. Not sure if it's done a kamikaze and attacked the lure, or if it's tried to do a runner from it and been foul hooked.

And that's that. My first jew on plastic, and at the beach no less. :1punk: Not a bad way to christen a new stick either. :biggrinthumb:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Great job, mate!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: That's great! Jewfish on plastic off the beach - priceless and a DAMN good way to christen that rod! Hopefully many more to come. Once again, well done. I'm stoked - I couldn't imagine how it felt. Guess I'll have to try to repeat the feat. :1fishing1: Do you have a measurement on him/her?

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Yes sir eeeeeeeeeeee bob :yahoo: Very nice fish there Shane and boy you really deserve that fish :thumbup:

A first of many Jews me thinks well done :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Guest madsmc

Do you have a measurement on him/her?

Flattieman.

In my excited state I completely forgot to get tape measure out of my bag as well as the camera, but I'd say around the 55-60cm mark.

What was your rod / reel setup?

The new stick is a Shimano SFS Shore Spin, one of the Steve Starling series. It's a nine footer, two piece, rated 5-10kg and 20-60gm lure weight. I was underlining it today with six pound fireline and twelve pound vanish leader on an Okuma Epix EFS-30.

Shane

Shane thats gold mate! :thumbup:

Any Jew on a plastic is a good one. Off the beach is bloody fantastic.

Big congrats mate. Very well deserved & the first of many i'm sure.

Maybe you can try out that recipe I gave you now!

Cheers,

Guest madsmc

Cheers for the kind words all. :biggrin2:

Maybe you can try out that recipe I gave you now!

I let this little fellow have his freedom, but I still have that recipe Grant, and it will get a workout on a slightly larger model one day soon. I hope.

has any one else got jews this way?

I'm not sure Caine. I've heard of a few people trying plastics off the beach, but haven't seen any reports posted anywhere. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had success with it though.

When the water warms up a little, you will be the new Jewman :1prop:

:074: Don't jinx me with that Woz. No one could ever be as good as the original Jewman. :tease: I'm quite happy to be an amateur jew fisho.

Shane

As one Beach Jew chaser to another - Bloody top effort Shane and congratulations!! :thumbup:

I still haven't cracked it, but every time I read another report of a beach jew I am motivated to hit it again.

Maybe this weekend is worth a shot . . . .

Guest madsmc

Maybe this weekend is worth a shot . . . .

If this rain keeps up mate, it's going to be very nice indeed. :thumbup:

Shane