Botany Bay 15and16/07/06

mako1

Headed out to Botany yesterday at around 5:30pm to try for a jewfish around Captain Cook Bridge. Conditions around the bridge were good considering how choppy the bay was.I anchored out from the bridge and waited for the tide to turn.While waiting for the tide to run I cast nipper baits towards the sand flats.This was the first run with the reel I won from the fish of the month comp.Nothing bit for abound half an hour,but then I noticed the rod starting to bend slowly.I struck at the fish and was met with a solid weight, so I thought it was a small ray.As I brought it up it began kicking and tacking line.After afew more runs I was extatic to see a big whiting on the surface.It measured 41.5cm and is my new pb.Great first fish for the new reel.After that things went really quiet.No jewfish or bream.There was so much brown weed in the water,it covered all the lines and baits.Moved to the drums at about 1am.Lost count of the port jackson sharks, banjos and rays that took the big baits.There was so many small snapper tacking the bream baits.One of the terns flying around got tangled up in one of the bream lines.Took me about twenty mins to untangle it.It looked like it was in shock and it was shivering so I placed it in the cabin to recover(Later when the sun came out it sat on the back of the boat drying before it decided to fly away).

Things then went quiet and then the fog moved in.Nothing began biting until the fog began to lift at about 8:30am.Caught acouple of tailor,some trevally and lots of yellowtail and mackerel.

After that I decided to do some drifts.Drifted the channel near Molineaux point and caught four squid that followed up the small snapper that I was catching.

Moved to Yarra bay and began drifting.After about five minutes I got another good hit on the new reel.After a good fight I boated a 60cm,1.9kg flathead.Continued drifting and caught some more tailor and small snapper before I decided to call it a day.It was a pretty good night/day.It ended up being a good test for the new reel.Pitty the bream and jewfish weren't biting.post-2229-1153054154_thumb.jpgPicture of the two better fish.

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

:thumbup: top report

what is that new reel???

looks like a shimano thing a majig (the top of the range one)

:thumbup: top report

what is that new reel???

looks like a shimano thing a majig (the top of the range one)

Mr Chinaman have a re re read of Makos post and you will indeed see that that reel is the one he won for FOTM :biggrin2:

The winner will receive from Modern Fishing Magazine a Viva Coast fishing reel 3500 valued at $134.95.

Cheers Swordfisherman